m.a.mccullough

Anyone know a trick to opening Jades?

The wax is a beautiful touch but makes opening a pain and a mess. Does anyone know a trick to getting the Jade bottles open easily and neatly? And has anyone else had a problem with the corks? My set of Jade's seem to have very tight fitting corks ( a good thing of course) but they seemed weak and the corkscrew almost ripped completley out of the cork rather than pulling the cork out of the bottles. In the end I got them open and am in love with the Jade expressions. :cheers:

A hot knife will slice that brittle wax right off with no mess. I too find the corks 'soft' but have yet to break one.

Though I, too, love the touch of the wax seal, I generally receive mine kind of flaky and just scrape the seal off as best I can. Turn it upside-down if you have to in order to get rid of as much wax as you can. What you don't scrape off will fall down into the absinthe once your cork breaks.

I've experienced the cork problem too - I just go all the way through the cork with the corkscrew and then replace it with one of the copious T-corks that I have sitting around.

I gladly endure this for the Edouard and VS. :)

ED: I like that hot knife idea!

A good way to get the wax off is to put a plastic bag over the top and hit it with the handle of a butter knife.

A good way to get the wax off is to put a plastic bag over the top and hit it with the handle of a butter knife.

That's what my wife does to me when I'm being naughty.

Hey, I like Kübler. I think it's a wonderful introductory absinthe for newbies. Good, but not complex.

It is a great summertime absinthe for sipping on a warm afternoon. I love it like i love lemonade. It isnt luxerious or gourmet but in the right situation it is just right.

I've experienced the cork problem too - I just go all the way through the cork with the corkscrew and then replace it with one of the copious T-corks that I have sitting around.

I found an old cork from a bottle of Dom Pérignon that fit my PF 1901 perfectly. Definitely a smaller diameter cork than the usual champagne cork, and not flared at the bottom. All this as a result of the aforementioned cork problem.

I always feel like like I'm dismantling a bomb when I open a bottle of one of the Jades the first time. A single bead of sweat on my brow, trying determinedly not to make the wrong move... I never tried a hot knife. I think I need to order a bottle of Edouard and test immediately.

Green Baron-

I can't believe I forgot about that episode. One of my favorites, and one of the first ones I saw.

Hey, I like Kübler. I think it's a wonderful introductory absinthe for newbies. Good, but not complex.

It is a great summertime absinthe for sipping on a warm afternoon. I love it like i love lemonade. It isnt luxerious or gourmet but in the right situation it is just right.

It might be tasty and refreshing in lemonade as well.

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=162925

And then I should add... use a double blade "Ah - So" wine opener if you want to re-use the original cork. A standard corkscrew will put a hole through the cork which, for longevity of your booze, is not the best idea.

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=164179

Edited by fingerpickinblue

Green Baron-

I can't believe I forgot about that episode. One of my favorites, and one of the first ones I saw.

I thought you might appreciate that one baub! I'm actually just watching the whole series (due to your endorsement) for the first time- starting last week. When I saw that episode, the first thing that went through my mind was "I've got to post that the next time someone asks how to open a Jade" :laugh:

I was too lazy to get a proper screen grab from the DVD, but I found a streaming clip that did the job.

I found an old cork from a bottle of Dom Pérignon that fit my PF 1901 perfectly. Definitely a smaller diameter cork than the usual champagne cork, and not flared at the bottom.

Surely you jest. You managed to stuff a champagne cork into a Jade bottle without a knife and a mallet?! Even before they're jammed into champagne bottles and take on their distinctive shape, the champagne corks are like twice the thickness of a standard cork. Bravo, man!

conseils02.jpg

this type of corkscrew aka "prong" blade ... you will never destroy a jade type cork again

You destroy not destroy a cork, but I've dropped several irretrievably into wine bottles with this nightmare.

when you got the trick it's pretty easy I even don't botter about capsule anymore with this type it goes true aluminum type of capsule and in 99% the cork when out in near perfect condition

I've dropped several irretrievably into wine bottles with this nightmare.

It's quite easy to get a cork out of a bottle, if it ever happens again. First, pour the contents into another glass, jug or whatever, then use this method to get the cork out. Then you can pour the contents back into the original bottle if you like.

It's a good trick. I use walmart bags or anything similar. I've done it a few times.

Have fun and maybe get a free drink or three at the local watering hole. :cheers:

The wax is a beautiful touch but makes opening a pain and a mess. Does anyone know a trick to getting the Jade bottles open easily and neatly? And has anyone else had a problem with the corks? My set of Jade's seem to have very tight fitting corks ( a good thing of course) but they seemed weak and the corkscrew almost ripped completley out of the cork rather than pulling the cork out of the bottles. In the end I got them open and am in love with the Jade expressions. :cheers:

well the trick i use to get rid of the wax fast is to tap it with a very sharp knife quickly, usually gets the job done in a few seconds. the trick to opening the cork is not in how you necessarily open it but the shape of the actual screw itself. use the more flat edged screw over the rounded one. the flat one tends to have more surface area to latch onto the cork over the rounded one which tends to just silde around the cork when pulled upon, plus the flat one has edges to it to help secure the cork as well. as always when dealing with stubborn corks you cant always win but just take your time and wiggle it out nice and easy and you will better you chances. if not do what i do and always keep one good jade cork laying around just in case you do break it you can easlily replace it. hope that helps.

I found an old cork from a bottle of Dom Pérignon that fit my PF 1901 perfectly. Definitely a smaller diameter cork than the usual champagne cork, and not flared at the bottom.

Surely you jest.

No; he just drinks older Champagne than you do.

Of course, not all champagne keeps for very long, but you should definitely try older Champagne; after four or five years or so it's quite different in character, and the corks are much easier to stuff on top of Jade bottles.

Guess what sits on top of my PF 1914 Très Verte...

No; he just drinks older Champagne than you do...you should definitely try older Champagne

:laf: Hahaha. I'll keep that in mind.

Heh, ok I have a Jade emergency. I splurged on a bottle of Nouvelle Orleans, since it's the only Jade within driving distance. Now, I know I'm a bad person for picking NO as my first Jade, and I apologize, but I have bigger worries.

In an extreme case of no beginner's luck, my cork got shredded by a crappy screw, and ended up in the drink in many small pieces. I strained the NE out of the bottle into a decanter. Using the plastic bag trick linked above, I managed to get the bulk of the cork out, and rinsed all the little pieces away. The problem now is two-fold (man I feel like I've committed some sort of crime).

1.) how do I get it back into the bottle? Mouth of the decanter is larger than the mouth of the bottle. Hmmm, isn't this what funnels are made for?

2.) Is there anything I can do about the tiny, almost microscopic, pieces of cork that went through the strainer? Or have I just skunked a $100 bottle of booze? Help! :fork:

For what it's worth, the NO is fantastic. I really get what people mean by a good winter drink. Very bitter and a bit spicy! (God I hope I haven't ruined it!)

Edited by divulse123