JoelInDallas

Another newbie saying Hi

Hello all,

I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself.

I am new to real absinthe due to difficulty in obtaining the real stuff.

I have just ordered the Jade N.O. and François Guy. I can't wait to try them. I was wondering if any of the other members are located in the Dallas area. If so I would be willing to have folks over to our place for a taste.

Also, the Absinthe absinthe mosh pit at SouthSide on Lamar could be a great place for an Absinth gathering.

I have tasted several pastis and I enjoied them. Hopefully the Jade N.O. and the F.G. are worth the money.

-- Joel.

If you enjoy pastis, then I'm pretty sure you'll like those two. Those who are disappointed by absinthe tend to be put off by the anise taste, while seasoned anise whores find that it's an interesting new take of what the un-initiated would refer to as a 'licorice' drink.

F. Guy is pretty close to some kind of a de luxe-pastis. The N.O. is in my opinion way better, but still, I could always enjoy a nice glass of F. Guy for what it is.

Welcome,

I am also a pastis drinker, due to the cost and difficulties involved to get the real stuff, but I have gotten to try quite a few different absinthe's due to members of this forum. I have also been introduced to Arak and Chartreuse by them, so you can expand your drink horizons by more than just absinthe. :cheers:

Thanks for the warm greetings all.

So far I have really enjoied the tastes of the pastis I have tried.

The real thing is on it way so that should be a new experience.

I was surprised at the complicated nature of both the preparation and the taste.

The funny thing is that I was a bartender in College and I never saw any of these. Be it Herbsaint, Ricard or Pernod.

But then when you are working at a "Cruisy" gay bar the drinks are not the main attraction. But then I like Cruisy gay bars. :devil:

I did notice one strange thing in my post, which is it replaced the word L O U N G E with M O S H P I T. Whats up with that?

So far the only to pastis I have tasted are Herbsaint and Absente, both of which I enjoied but I think I like the Herbsaint better. But the Absente is packaged in a nice gift box with an absinthe spoon. Its amazing how good marketing can move product.

Is there a concensus on the quickiest vendor I was looking at absinthe-distribution.com and absintheonline.com? Also, while I want two bottles of Jade (one N.O. and one Eduard) I think I am going to get the N.O. and the F.G. Price does play somewhat of an issue.

Luckily so far I have really enjoied the taste of anise flavoured drinks. So I suspect I will enjoy the real thing.

-- Joel.

Hello Joel in Dallas,

You will encounter our "word filter" from time to time. There are all kinds of terms that are censored and replaced with "clever" or "cleaned-up" words and phrases.

I think this is intended to assist us in behaving like "adults".

Enjoy. . .

So far the only to pastis I have tasted are Herbsaint and Absente, both of which I enjoied but I think I like the Herbsaint better.

I grew up in New Orleans, and with Herbsaint, and always liked it just fine.

This past summer, I was in New Orleans for a big cocktail event where Herbsaint was served. I hadn't had it in years.

Once you've had decent absinthe, it's interesting to try Herbsaint again. More than that, I won't say. But if you ever have an opportunity to line them up for a comparison tasting, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Anyway, welcome!

P.S. Another great online distributor is Liqueurs de France. Muy rapido!

One thing I have noticed about Herbsaint is the flavour is multilayered and pretty good, but it doesn't seem to louche well at all. That surprised me. Its a great price and is tasty, but it barely gets cloudy, and I used very cold filtered water and icy bottled water. It just doesn't seem to louche much.

I am going to try the frappe and some of the other recipes for it. Something tells me I will enjoy Herbsaint more that way.

Hello Joel in Dallas,

You will encounter our "word filter" from time to time.  There are all kinds of terms that are censored and replaced with "clever" or "cleaned-up" words and phrases.

I think this is intended to assist us in behaving like "adults".

Enjoy. . .

What she said, only I think of the word filter more for humorous content moderation than censorship. I like to try to encourage people to expand their vocabulary beyond the usual Anglo-Saxon expressions. That, and it helps make the atmosphere more congenial to a wider range of people.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of those expressions, it's just a matter of different behaviors for different places. I might say fuck in dive bars, but I don't say it in an upscale restaurant.

To paraphrase George Carlin; There are no bad words. There are bad thoughts and bad intentions - not words.

I have an adequate vocabulary for a college-educated resident of the Pacific Northwest. I use the word f-u-c-k when I choose.

I cuddle with my husband.