Sign in to follow this  
elfnmagik

Tinctures

Bla bla bla. . .

Get the flu shot and get sick.

I'll take my chances with the virus.

So far I win.

Why does this flu shot discussion make me think there are a bunch of epidemiologists on a forum called the flushot society talking about how high thujone Absinthe will make you trip balz? Ironic no?

Never mind the fact that a minor change in circumstances could have turned any one of those into a major epidemic like Asian Flu or Swine Flu (look up your history).
Which Swine Flu, 1918 or 1976? Because I remember the 1976 one. It was a non-event; and not because of total national immunization (which failed miserably). They tried to blame the "Great Plague" of 1918 on the Chinese too, but that also turned out to be bogus, since it was found that it was us that introduced it to Europe.

In spite of the many deaths that occurred none of these merits the name "pandemic" and were all fairly quickly dealt with, even with the science of the time.

Step right up and get yer shot

Get 'em while there hot

It'll kill the fungus among us

Without a doubt it'll cure your gout

It's better for your lumbago than an orange Faygo

Step right up and get yer shot

It's the way to get what everyone's got.

Sounds like a variation on Tom Wait's classic "Step Right Up" from his "Small Change" album. Seems I recall he won a lawsuit against Frito Lay for ripping off the song in one of their commercials...

As for the flu/vaccine discussion, never underestimate the value of "herd immunity". Just check the following out:

New Englang Journal of Medicine Article Abstract re: Flu

The upshot is that vaccinating children may be more valuable than focusing on the elderly or otherwise healthy adults.

I'm all for vaccination (if safety is sufficiently higher than not vaccinating). Wish I'd had access to a chickenpox vaccine when I was a kid. I wouldn't have to deal with getting shingles when the damn virus comes out of hiding in my nervous system (kinda like herpes simplex - "cold sores"). At least one of my kids is young enough to have been vaccinated. The older two both got chicken pox...

Think too of the recently developed human papillomavirus vaccine (causes genital warts). This revolutionary vaccine is going to prevent almost all cases of cervical cancer (turns out most are a result of this viral infection). The vaccine has a terrific safety record in adults and testing in adolescents/children is underway. Sadly, administering it to kids is going to be necessary given the increasingly early ages that kids have their first sexual experiences.

I read a while ago about a group of mothers and other "concerned citizens" rambling about how vaccines were poisoning our kids and should be banned, with plenty of pseudo-science to back up their claims. I wonder what they're up to nowadays... Actually, no I don't.

I absolutely refuse to get a flu shot.

Weren't we meant to get the flu every now and then and spend a few days in bed - away from those people at work who drive us crazy?

Yes.

It's how the body is SUPPOSED to work. You are SUPPOSED to be exposed to viruses, bacteria, and crude. Without it, your body doesn't get the requisite PRACTICE it needs to build up its own antibodies.

George Carlin had a great skit on germs. He used to say that no one in his neighborhood ever got polo, ever. Why? Because they used to swim in the East River every summer to cool off.

I totally agree with that. Why the hell do you think that it is never the redneck farmboy in the hills getting sick? It's always some upper-class, pampered girl whos overbearing parents never let her outside... for fear she might get sick.