Brooks

Huffington Post

Hey, gang.

A Huffington Post piece on absinthe prep has attracted the usual swarm of know-it-all frats, plus a smattering of older voices. (You'll recognize my posts, and please forgive the typos. There's no way to edit posts over there.)

It's a silly thread that will fizzle out in a day or two, so no need to contribute. But if you're curious, here's the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/06/h...e_n_565974.html

Hope this finds you all well! :wave2:

It seems like there are still those buying the thujone hype. Hopefully they will come read the FAQ and find out what's really going on.

The crusaders are out in force with "new evidence" that it's all about the thujone.

I'm outta steam......giving up!

Thanks, Joe. Happy to see ya, kiddo.

Yeah, Kaila's suited up to fight the bad fight. I linked her to our exhaustive collection of thujone studies, but sump'm tells me she'll brook no dissent.

Ah, well. Peace be with Kaila: Noble T-Jones Warrior!

And what is this "Marteau" of which you speak in your comments, Brooks?? :laugh:

Agreeing with another commenter who said they liked it!

Hiya, Abs. :wave2:

Also, nice comment on the sazerac, Brooks. I've been introducing friends and family to sazeracs for the past few weeks now, using Marteau as the rinse, and it really does do the trick just as advertized.

Did you family and friends take to the Sazerac? It saddens me that I've made so few Saz converts in my life.

Back to the HuffPo thread.....when I said the thujone myth had been debunked, a commenter replied:

"I used to think so too, but there is a lady who recently published a paper in PNAS that has re-bunked the myth."

I asked if he could elaborate, and he posted the following:

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97(8) 3826–3831 (2000)

Chem. Res. Toxicol. 14, 589-595 (2001)

A ten-year-old study is hardly "recent." Does it ring a bell with anyone here?

And stop by more often. I miss your posts. :cheers:

I third, fourth and fifth! Definitely miss seeing you ‘round friend, and sure hope all’s good!

The whole thujone thing really throws me. Our absinthe in the US has to be "thujone free", which means under a certain amount per liter. Ok, cool. But sage oil, which contains almost 50% thujone by weight, is cool. The FDA is so weird. It really makes it harder to cut through all of the erroneous popular wisdom.

Edited by divulse123

Exactly right, Divulse. It's whacked.

Hidy, Mat 'n' Baub. Hattip.gif . How's life treatin' you two gents?

Did you family and friends take to the Sazerac? It saddens me that I've made so few Saz converts in my life.

My girlfriend REALLY took to them while the others found it more unique than anything else. You must remember that Milwaukee is a beer town, not a cocktail town. It really is a shame - it's such a wonderful cocktail.

EDIT: Doh! *gives self dope-slap* It's in the WS Society Scientific Papers section already!
HA! Thanks for your efforts, and don't be embarrassed. That's just the sort of thing I'd do!

My girlfriend REALLY took to them while the others found it more unique than anything else.
In my experience, Sazeracs go over well with experienced cocktail drinkers. It's not always a hit with folks accustomed to sweet "umbrella" drinks, and I'm not surprised that a mostly-beer crowd would find Sazzes daunting.

Kudos to your girlfriend, though!

The funny thing is that it never occured to me that I could make my very own outside of New Orleans. :laugh:

Then one night I thought, "I could really go for a sazerac!" I went and reviewed Robert's video on making them, went to the liquor store, and shortly thereafter was in sazzy heaven!

Thujone monkey's

....what a laugh.

I generally drink a Sazerac, instead of absinthe when I'm in a bar. I don't like having to answer questions when the spectators see the barman setting up a fountain. Note to bar owners Get a few drippers, not everyone wants to explain the whole absinthe thing to the gawkers, when all they want is a quiet drink....end of rant

Don't even get me started on what I did to the bartender that tried to put Versinthe in my Sazerac......they know what brand to reach for when I come through the door.

Exactly right, Divulse. It's whacked.

Hidy, Mat 'n' Baub. Hattip.gif . How's life treatin' you two gents?

:cheers: I'm going to have to write one of those pm thingies.

I generally drink a Sazerac, instead of absinthe when I'm in a bar. I don't like having to answer questions when the spectators see the barman setting up a fountain. Note to bar owners Get a few drippers, not everyone wants to explain the whole absinthe thing to the gawkers, when all they want is a quiet drink....end of rant

I'd be quite happy just to get my dose in a wine glass along with a beaker of water, rather than served as if I had ordered a whiskey neat.

Ugh. The last thing I need right now is to read more willfully ignorant comments. /sourpuss

Even beyond the misinformation, it's remarkable to me that some folks want to believe so badly that it's hallucinogenic, that you can't get the "real" stuff here, etc. and so forth. >sigh<

Ugh. The last thing I need right now is to read more willfully ignorant comments. /sourpuss

Even beyond the misinformation, it's remarkable to me that some folks want to believe so badly that it's hallucinogenic, that you can't get the "real" stuff here, etc. and so forth. >sigh<

"Ditto" said Tweedledum. "Ditto, ditto!" cried Tweedledee.

WARNING: LATE NIGHT RANT FOLLOWS!

Add to this complaint that, once conversation turns to Absinthe, every T,D&H comes out of the woodwork with stories of how they've been "making" Absinthe for years, how theirs has XXX amount of thujone, of how it's the "real" stuff; in short: how their herb shop wormwood infused jug of Everclear is superior in every way to any product available in the USA, and that theirs "really" does "do the trick."

Usually I can stop the blather by turning the discussion towards the actual process of distilling Absinthe and, if nothing else, agreement is reached to disagree. Really, I do my best to promote and educate while maintaining a convivial atmosphere conducive to the mutual enjoyment of an adult beverage, but sometimes the ignorance is so willful it leaves me with no alternative but to resort to observing the simple rule that: at my table, enjoying my Absinthe, we will not discuss such "alternative" products.

Worse yet are those out there that are actually adding cannabis to their home mix. They just can't seem to get over the fact that Absinthe doesn't have a "special high" - although just what's special about cannabis as a high escapes me.

Don't get me wrong: I'm no prude and I have no love for my nation's neo-puritanical "War on Drugs". If you want to get stoned, fine by me. But cannabis is not an ingredient in Absinthe any more than chocolate is a an ingredient of a Martini.

Finally: Laudanum. Please see my recent post titled "Laudanum" if you can offer any sources of factual, historical documentation of adding opiates to Absinthe. While I can easily imagine that people who regularly took laudanum might have chosen to add their dose to a glass of Absinthe (although I can't imagine that Absinthe would cover the bitter taste of laudanum), I have found no indication that this was a common practice for anyone who was not already an addict.

Thank you for your attention. I will now step off the soapbox. :cheers:

every T,D&H comes out of the woodwork with stories of how they've been "making" Absinthe for years, how theirs has XXX amount of thujone, of how it's the "real" stuff; in short:

An easy way to disarm this is to say several things:

1) Tell them that if they aren't distilling, they aren't making absinthe.

2) Ask them if they've had their 'absinthe' tested for thujone. If not, then they know nothing about how much thujone is in their jug. Further, many of the kits that are sold lie about their thujone amounts.

3) Tell them that based on what absinthe was when it was banned, their homemade stuff (again, unless distilled) bears little if any resemblance to real absinthe.

Then suggest they read the FAQ on the main page of the WS. That should help 'enlighten' them. :)

I'm hoping to have finalized the 'Absinthe 401' informational packet sometime soon, which will be very helpful to people who have just enough information to be dangerous.

Finally: Laudanum. Please see my recent post titled "Laudanum" if you can offer any sources of factual, historical documentation of adding opiates to Absinthe.
To my knowledge, I think there's only one account of it being done. It was by no means a normal practice.