Sign in to follow this  
Funky D

Goodbye Beamish?

Over the past year or so I've grown to love Beamish... it's become my favorite Irish stout. I was a bit bummed when the local supermarket started carrying an ale in its place, but I didn't think much of it. Then I visited a Binny's in Chicago, and Beamish was nowhere to be found. An internet search showed signs that Heineken (who acquired Beamish through their acquisition of Newcastle a few years ago) had plans to stop distribution. And now all the local liquor stores seem to confirm it... pick up your Beamish now, as we aren't getting any more shipments :unsure:

So, the Guinness/Murphy's/Beamish trifecta is now Guinness/Murphy's+Beamish (the Beamish brewery was closed, and they now brew next to Murphy's). With no more exports of Beamish, I wonder how long the brand will last?

Sad times... I have Dutch in my blood, but Heineken has always tasted like skunk to me. I'll take an Irish beer any day. Or a glass of French absinthe :cheers:

I will now hunt down the last of the Beamish in the Milwaukee area... I scored three 4-packs today, and I'm sure there are more in hiding B)

Seems to be a craptacular year for some brands. A fallen booze thread/section in the making? (to historically record those we're saddened to see go, such as Helfrich, Port of Barcelona, Beamish, etc.?) If all that is already covered in the corkboard or elsewhere, forgive me...I'm ready for the post-finals time period sometime in the future.

I'm ready for your semester to finish too.

Oh, and yeah, an RIP Brands 2010 thread may be appropriate.

Too bad about the Beamish.

It isn't as roasty as Murphy's, or Guinness, but it has a pleasant softness, and almost a floweriness that I've always found quite pleasant.