Sign in to follow this  
m.a.mccullough

Holy grail of modern absinthe

Sapphire and françois guy
Totally agree. Guy is a staple here and Sapphire is worth having, though I think I like Opaline better.

I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of Meadow of Love; one glass in London was not enough. I did get my hands on a bottle of Marteau from my husband's recent trip to San Francisco... perhaps it will be a stateside holy grail? (Might be opening it tonight.)

I think I like Opaline better

I like the Opaline as well, although I haven't tried Sapphire.

I did get my hands on a bottle of Marteau from my husband's recent trip to San Francisco

Nice score!

Tell me about it. I had MOL and WW once but I am extremely anxious to try Pacifique and Leopolds. Unfortunately the only way to get them is to make a vacation out of it. Those would be some very expensive bottles of absinthe.

I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of Meadow of Love

Have you had the Brevans A.O. Spare? I thought it was pretty similar to Walton Waters (although I only had a small sample of the Brevans, unfortunately). The WW isn't MoL of course, but they're tied in my book :)

Have you had the Brevans A.O. Spare? I thought it was pretty similar to Walton Waters (although I only had a small sample of the Brevans, unfortunately). The WW isn't MoL of course, but they're tied in my book :)

I haven't had it yet, but I'm making my way through what I stock as quick as I can afford :drunk: ;)

(But I will bump it up the list on your recommendation.)

Those would be some very expensive bottles of absinthe.

Not really! Comes with a free vacation! :laugh:

(And if you travel far enough, you can arrange the special distillery tour :winky: :winky:)

Edited by dakini_painter

DP, outside of your own absinthes, what are your contemporary favorites? I always dig hearing the distiller's POV, especially on this sort of thing- Knowing what creators dig always strikes me as very fascinating! Like a commentary track to a favorite movie that tells you what influenced a favorite scene, or some other similar analogy.

I'd actually love to hear from all the distiller's here on WS about this topic.

Edited by iamsolidsnake

Brevans A.O. Spare has been my top pick since I first tried it. In fact, I'm, aging a a first run bottle ( it's numbered) to enjoy with my daughter when she comes of age (13 years from now). 2 more bottles are on their way and in customs right now along with a bottle of Duplais Verte, Mansinthe, La Valote Tradition, a Fougerolles Enigma Verte and blanche 72.

Next I've got a 3 pack of the Jades in mind :devil:

DP, outside of your own absinthes, what are your contemporary favorites?

:blush:

I have to admit I haven't bought any commercial absinthe in years. Most of the time when making deliveries I rarely have time to stop and look around at what's on the shelves. I've had an earlier version of Leopold and really liked it, and was tempted when I saw NO at a shop, but the expenses never seem to end, so I had to pass. I saw Koruna, Mata Hari and La Fee NV at one shop. Another in NYC seemed to have one of everything available. So there's certainly flavors for every kind of taste. Absinthe preference seems to be a very personal thing, so I can only suggest that folks buy the things they like.

Absinthe preference seems to be a very personal thing, so I can only suggest that folks buy the things they like.

My sentiments exactly!

Cheers!

If that includes budding distillers. too... What do I drink from American absinthe distillers?

Note the alphabetical order:

Leopold Bro.s

Marteau

Pacifique

Ridge (I have a connection)

Vieux Carre'

Like Dakini said, I don't have the luxury of buying much absinthe right now as all my funds are already spoken for. If I had more expendable income, certainly Dakini's WW would also be in my cabinet. I've had one glass and thought it was a delicious Pontarlier style absinthe. The opportunity to try MoL hasn't presented itself, yet. Were the income situation different, I'm confident Dakini's offering would also be on my list.

On that note, I would take the slightest exception to a post in a different thread by Brother Grim. I try to avoid classifying contemporary absinthes as The Best. Certainly I might agree with one of the best or even one of my favorites but time is a fickle creature and who knows what effect a few months or a couple years has on a given bottle or the absinthe world in small. Add to that Dakini and Bill's sentiments on personal preferences and it becomes nearly impossible to declare any well-crafted absinthe as "the best US offerings." As has been wisely said on this forum many times, my favorite glass of absinthe is usually the one in my hand. :cheers:

If that includes budding distillers. too... What do I drink from American absinthe distillers?

Note the alphabetical order:

Leopold Bro.s

Marteau

Pacifique

Ridge (I have a connection)

Vieux Carre'

Like Dakini said, I don't have the luxury of buying much absinthe right now as all my funds are already spoken for. If I had more expendable income, certainly Dakini's WW would also be in my cabinet. I've had one glass and thought it was a delicious Pontarlier style absinthe. The opportunity to try MoL hasn't presented itself, yet. Were the income situation different, I'm confident Dakini's offering would also be on my list.

On that note, I would take the slightest exception to a post in a different thread by Brother Grim. I try to avoid classifying contemporary absinthes as The Best. Certainly I might agree with one of the best or even one of my favorites but time is a fickle creature and who knows what effect a few months or a couple years has on a given bottle or the absinthe world in small. Add to that Dakini and Bill's sentiments on personal preferences and it becomes nearly impossible to declare any well-crafted absinthe as "the best US offerings." As has been wisely said on this forum many times, my favorite glass of absinthe is usually the one in my hand. :cheers:

You have a connection at Ridge? Surely, you jest! :laugh: Of course you were included Mr. Legate! I was about to start listing off distillers here on WS, but then realized I didn't want to leave any infrequent posters who are busy doing their thing out of the list, just because we may have never crossed paths..

I've looked over your blog linked from your sig a few times, its great to see product being made from the ground up by an active community member/contributor. Much like seeing DP's event/production photos from facebook- inside peeks are always fun, and makes the effort just that much more sincere. If its not out of line to ask, I saw that you mentioned labels coming along nicely, but I couldn't remember/find any mention of the future name! Is that a bit of info to be found amongst the threads, or something you're keeping under your metaphorical hat? There's a word obscured by Sante' on my browser for the latest blog post concerning the label work, and I couldn't guess at it by the one un-obscured final letter " h."

Thanks for the input! Its definitely appreciated.

Of course you were included Mr. Legate!
Whoa! My dad is here? :shock:

Blog note (Damn Word Press):

That will also happen very soon.
Rather anticlimactic, eh?

Regarding the Ridge name and label, like the beverages themselves and as the blog post says, they will be here very soon. :secret2: I couldn't be more excited about the unveiling.

Whoa! My dad is here? :shock:

Blog note (Damn Word Press):

That will also happen very soon.
Rather anticlimactic, eh?

Regarding the Ridge name and label, like the beverages themselves and as the blog post says, they will be here very soon. :secret2: I couldn't be more excited about the unveiling.

I use the mr. with Mr. Stone as well, I like to think of the distillers here kinda like Senseis with Dojos- I hope someday far into the future to be able to make an Absinthe worthy of consumption and, just as important, enjoyment, but for today that is a glimmer in the distance. But for the here and now, you fine folks are the trailblazers. If DP went by her name as opposed to a screen name, I'd refer to her as Ms. Lins, but I try to respect sn's until otherwise directed. Due respect. Its because of all of the stateside producers I'll be able to try out more brands than I would be able to if only restricted to overseas purchases. Exchange rates for college/college age students plus shipping costs for sites without package deal cuts don't leave many options.

And not too anti-climactic, I gathered from context it might have been something like that, but couldn't be for sure ( and the unknown is always more fun for the imagination). I am continually excited for the grand unveiling though! Can't wait, and it looks like I'm in good company.

Joe has no Dojo. He has a hoe. And a couple of alembics.

We farm. We cook. Things are pretty exciting.

I can't name a holy grail of modern absinthe. I enjoy many of the contemporary offerings from the US and abroad. I like many of them and love some of them but I can't call any a holy grail. Most offerings in the open market are too fresh and young. Full of potential but not yet mature.

Preban is the holy grail IMHO. Something to strive to equal or better. Only time will tell.

I enjoy, appreciate and respect the Jades but they are young too. In the great scream of things.

I realize the operative word is modern. The issue I have is variety. Within the past three years so many things have changed. The market has opened up. I can buy two legitimate offerings off the shelf in Kalispell, MT. That was unheard of in 2005. It was but a hopeful dream then. With so many quality absinthes available I can't and don't want to establish a holy grail out of the current offerings. Something to put on a pedestal and compare all others against? I like Ike! I love CLB and NO. All three have very different profiles. Different qualities and herbs to admire and enjoy. These are only three offerings and none are U.S. labels. I'd have to list off all the U.S. offerings that I've had and I'm too lazy to do that right now.

Why yes, Abs, there are other offerings in development that I am partial to. Isn't choice a beautiful thing? :cheers:

Perceptive fellow, Absomphe. ;)

I should think a "Holy Grail" by the very nature of the word, would make it nearly impossible or at least very difficult to get. It also has to be extraordinary. I don't think any contemporary absinthe fits that description.

Pernod fil Pre-Ban = Holy Grail

Indeed, but one could make a case for both Edouard and Berger.

If the Holy Grail is determined by a perferctly balanced flavor profile wrapped in a beautifully aromatic and characterful grape alcohol base, then, yes, Pernod Fils fills the bill admirably.

Talking about holy grail, I think there is one definitely worth a trial, be it only for the dedication of its creator.

Swiss distiller Jacquet Charrère, creator of Duvallon and Veuve Verte, is indeed on a quest for the holy grail, to an extent rarely seen, so report my Swiss friends.

His Veuve Verte is definitely, in my humble opinion the ONE verte suisse one has to taste. I've tasted several vertes and several suisses. Veuve Verte currently defines a goal

OK, I'll be one of those other people. There are some mighty fine absinthes around. As far as the holy grail.....I'm not sure it's been made. Granted, it could be on the shelf somewhere but I haven't seen it yet.

One more item, wouldn't it be "The One" that everybody seeks? There can only be one!

:dev-cheers:

OK, I'll be one of those other people. There are some mighty fine absinthes around. As far as the holy grail.....I'm not sure it's been made.

I agree. The reviews that I've read suggest that absinthe was still on an upward slope of development when it was all so rudely interrupted back in the early 20th century. It seems that it's only been in the last five years or so that near-equivalent quality has been reached, so I imagine that the supposed "holy grail" is still many years away (Take all that with a grain of salt since I haven't actually tried a single pre-ban brand, let alone tasted several different years to establish a progression).

I guess I would interpret the "holy grail" of absinthe to be a period in the future when it is no longer possible to create significantly higher quality liquor, and I should imagine that this "holy grail" would include a large range of different varieties of absinthe all of equal quality within their respective categories.

Perhaps wine has reached, or nearly reached, this "holy grail" status, if so, then it only took wine-makers about 8000 years to get it right; if the infinitely more complex absinthe is at all comparable, I should imagine that we can get at least another few centuries out of the drink.

Edited by A.K. Moore