Sign in to follow this  
m.a.mccullough

Holy grail of modern absinthe

Clearly a question of individual taste, and I'm not sure everyone will be able to just list one favorite (I think there's a few threads for that already). And I'm assuming you're only talking of commercially available absinthes.

I really love the Jade Edouard, but for the sake of the "modern" question, I think I'm going to exclude clones of preban absinthes. In that respect, I'd probably go with something like the Roquette 1797 or the Duplais Verte.

But as everyone will more than likely chime in with, it's a matter of what you feel like that day, or that glass. I rarely sit down with just one bottle when I want a drink.

I rarely sit down with just one bottle when I want a drink.

I'm the same way. When I drink absinthe, I usually pour from three or four different bottles. Variety is the spice of life! :cheers:

Edited by Derrick

I definatley agree with you ron. I never sit with just one bottle. I love to tantilize and suprize my tounge with every glass. Comming from Le cordon blue and being a huge admirer of Thomas Keller I believe in the idea of deminishing returns and the need for small portions and large variety to keep things exciting and wonderful. I also agree that this forum has been done before in the top ten forum so i will respectfuly change my question to are all the jades worth getting or is there a better mix and match group of four? Are all the jades really that good and that different from eachother?

Are all the jades really that good and that different from each other?

In my opinion, the only Jade that is distinctively different from the rest is the PF 1901. I have a difficult time distinguishing between the Edouard, Nouvelle-Orleans, and the Verte Suisse (now VS 1898).

are all the jades worth getting or is there a better mix and match group of four? Are all the jades really that good and that different from eachother?

Three of the Jades are clones of preban absinthes, Pernod Fils, Edouard Pernod and CF Berger. If you want to judge those, hopefully you'll be able to do it with a side-by-side comparison of the originals in the future. That's the best way to judge those three. I happen to like them, and I like the Edouard the best of them.

The fourth Jade, the Nouvelle Orleans, is a modern creation. As such, it sits outside of the group for me. It's not bad, and has some similarities based on equipment, process, recipe, distiller, etc. Many people like it more than the three clones.

I recommend getting all four, as they are all worth trying. But then again, that's just my preference.

If this is just a question on the Jades, there are a few other threads which cover people's thoughts on them. For instance, Peridot and Absomphe are not keen on the "funk" taste they pick up in the Jades. I don't get that taste or aroma, but I can't deny some of the well traveled palates here. If they taste it, they taste it. Just like Jules can pick out star anise in any absinthe. She's got a sensitivity to it.

So basically, you'll get lots of opinions on the Jades; some good and some bad. You'll more than likely want to try them yourself if you can swing it, or perhaps a tasting in your locale with other absintheurs? That's how the Wormwood Society started out, after all!

Ron, following this discussion on the Jades, I have had the N-O and 1901 and like them both and have the other two but not opened yet, do you think that the clones come close to the originals ? I don't think I will ever get a pre-ban sample but plan on keeping the Jades around as a historical representation. I am finding something different in the 1901 that I don't find in the modern domestics, I like the difference but definately standing behind the moderns.

I wouldn't say close but I would say an good approximate... I mean they are colored lite green the pre-ban where a bit darker to acheive the so called feuille morte more botanicals in coloration , more herbal tatse , there also aging , polution, other factor that say that it can't be reclicated dead on ... at least as we know

Edited by EdouardPerneau

As a point of clarification, I've only yet done a side-by-side between the Edouards (with OMG_Bill as a matter of fact). I had planned on doing the same with my bottle of 1910 Pernod Fils, but I recently parted ways with that bottle. So I'll be looking to acquire another in the future. That goes for the Berger as well. There are other clones out there, but the Jades are the only commercially available ones.

The Edouard was pretty damned close, both in taste and aroma. Of course there will be differences, chief among those is the lack of 100 years of aging. But Ted uses old Pernod Fils alembics, using the old methods, recipes, and source ingredients. It's about as faithful a reproduction as one could reasonably expect. I think I went into it expecting that there would be massive differences, and I was very surprised at the similarities instead.

If the Edouard was anything of a sign, I expect the others to be pretty close as well. I think there are other members who have done side-by-side comparisons here.

I agree that '06 edouard was really close to pre ban perhaps the newest batchs are better I hadden't had the chance to taste them yet

the last I had wasn't as good ... I hope they will get back to that high standard

Edited by EdouardPerneau

I know the pre ban bottles are expensive and I am not asking how you aquire them, but I see on the LDF pages you can go on a waiting list as they become available, is this a good route to follow?

I really wish I had gotten one of the earlier bottles of Edouard. I have one of the March '08 bottles that had questionable remarks, and one of the Sept '09 bottles. Don't know which to open first. I'm getting down to the last of my Sept '07 PF 1901, so one of my Jade bottles will be up soon.

Edited by techdiver

The side-by-side tasting I did was with the Nov. 2005 bottling. What portion I was gifted from that bottle is still brilliant deep emerald, with about a half inch of sediment. No lie. It has a TON of very fine sediment. But still wonderful. I have yet to open any of the recent bottles, and I missed out on the batches in between that were apparently sub par.

eddy.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

I've not seen sediment like that except in KOS. Interesting the difference passion makes when building things.

Looks good Ron. :cheers: :cheers: & :cheers:

Oh, I like the label, Classy. ;)

There are other clones out there, but the Jades are the only commercially available ones.

?!

Would it be out of line to ask about these mysterious artisan clones? Not about procurement, just general info? Are these looking to be commercial at sometime in the future? What areas of the globe do they hail from? I saw in the one absinthe section of one of our member's bar how he mentioned a certain brand could only be obtained if you " knew a guy who knew a guy" and the quality of it- I'm always excited to hear others are striving to break into the market and make their mark.

Unfortunately, I don't have the experience to say what is a must try, but I can say from what I've read on here and the lfv brand list, outside of the jade re-pro's, my I want/must try before I die's are Doubs Mystiq, DP MoL ( and a lesser extent but still a must try WW), Marteau, and a growing interest in Pacifique. One day, I shall have empty bottles long turned to ghosts.

Interesting the difference passion makes when building things.

office_space_fuckin_a_200.jpg

Oh, I like the label, Classy.

Classy is his middle name!

Would it be out of line to ask about these mysterious artisan clones? Not about procurement, just general info? Are these looking to be commercial at sometime in the future? What areas of the globe do they hail from?

Well, home distilling is illegal of course, so it's really only hearsay. Most of the HG stuff I've heard of comes from all over the world. Also, most of the HG stuff is made by folks who are just passionate about absinthe, with no desire to release a commercial product. It's kind of a natural progression for people who just want to learn more about it. I would think. On a very basic level, I think all artisans just want to create something beautiful.

my I want/must try before I die's are Doubs Mystiq, DP MoL ( and a lesser extent but still a must try WW), Marteau, and a growing interest in Pacifique.

All solid choices, and all made by folks who are ridiculously passionate about absinthe.

If there is ONE absinthe out there that all absinthuers should try before they die, what would it be?
I'm assuming you're only talking of commercially available absinthes.
I understand your assumption, Ron but really, what one absinthe should absinthuers try before they die? Surely it has to be a Pernod Fils pre-ban.

Without a doubt! Beg, borrow or steal, but get yourself some before you die! :cheers:

I have a March 08 Edouard, and unfortunately it bares only a resemblance to the preban Edouard I had the pleasure of sampling. It's still very good in its own right, though. I find the PF1901, VS, and Edouard similar, with the NO being the odd one out. Out of all the modern absinthes, I would pick the PF1901 (as long as you don't have the gene that apparently makes the Jades taste soapy/socky/whatever you poor people with that gene taste :)). I think it's a good representation of preban PF, and I wonder what a bottle will taste like in 10 years?

Even though it's a modern formula, I also would have a hard time passing up the Doubs Mystique. It may be a wormwood-prominent absinthe, but it has a good dose of that wonderful butterscotchyness found in prebans, more so than the Jades.

Wonderful input! Much oblidged everyone. Feel free to keep the comments comming. So far its looking like ill order a PF 1901, L'Italienne, VS 1898, and Doubs Mystique (or Roquette 1797 or Duplais Verte)

PF 1901 has a totally different taste to me than the other Jades. Similar to the Roquette in my opinoin. I have no clue what herb (s) are present but I like them. I received a new batch of Roquette and it didn't seem dry at all. Maybe they did change the formula.

Back to the original thread- I would pick a Jade, L'Italienne, or a DP product.