• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

And you have to cut the limes the right way too.

By the way, Marcelo, did you ever make the Clandestine Caipi? Maybe I missed it here somewhere ..

I was encouraged by Alan to prepare a caipirinha with La Clandestine. Even though he was very nice to send me a recipe of a famous pub in UK I decided to use my intuition in making caipirinhas.... So, my suggestion is :

For one cocktail glass:
YOU NEED:
- 3 key limes (Key Limes are "the right limes" for any caipirinha)
- 4 tablespoons of regular sugar (sugar cane) .... my tablespoon is not big, so if you have a big one use 3 tablespoons instead
- crushed ice, enough to fill at least 50% of your glass
- 1.5 oz of La Clandestine (it worked really well, I am not sure about other absinthes)

Cut the limes in four parts each. Remove the seeds with the tip of your knife (crushed seeds are bitter). Using a muddler crush down the limes with the sugar making an homogenous juice.
Mix the limes w/ sugar in a shaker and add ice and the absinthe.... shake the way you know how to shake it.... Pour in a glass.... You can add a straw if you want.

Drink SLOWLY. Let the ice melt a little bit and the absinthe will be even better.... In Brazil a glass of caipirinha is not for individual use.... Share your glass.... take a sip and pass to your friend and wait it to go around and come back to you....

I made it today, and I am a caipirinha drinker (with cachaça)... I loved this one with La Clandestine.

My friend, a woman of very fine taste, was with me and after trying she said "This is awesome" .......

When I drink it, it feels like caipirinha with the strong lime taste and then the end of taste is the absinthe, very interesting.

Happy Drinking and let me know your feedback and maybe how you compare this caipirinha with the regular cachaça or other types of absinthe.

Thanks Alan for the encouragement !

SAÚDE.

- Marcelo

PS: I even have a picture of my drink here in front of me now, but this forum only accepts Internet links for pics !!!

Edited by mgs, 29 April 2010 - 10:23 PM.

#2 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

Great to know that a Brazilian likes the drink! Noting that I have to share it with others, I'll try to get my wife to share a CC later.

A question on what this should be called. Purists don't accept that you can make a "vodka martini." On that basis, would the name "Clandestine Caipirinha" upset people?
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#3 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

I think it is OK.... In Brazil you can buy a "Caipirinha de Vodka" ...... in São Paulo we call it Caipiroska but I am not sure if in other cities they use this name....

Caipisinthe is acceptable ?

- Marcelo

PS : Alan, "why" Clandestine works so well ??? I want to understand the difference in absinthe that would make it match a drink or another one.....

#4 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

Alan, "why" Clandestine works so well ???

Maybe I am a bit biased ... so I've looked at what Paul Nathan says in his new book:

"Clandestine is almost uniquely versatile, as good in a glass as in any mixed drink. Substitutes easily for any Kübler or Tourment recipe."

Mmm.

Leaving that aside, I think a Caipirinha needs to be clean and pure, and I think some Vertes might have too much going on to work in a Caipi. I find a clean, simple Caipi to be a great drink for a summer evening and a blanche works better for me in that context. I look forward to other people's views when they have tried it with a Verte ..
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#5 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

so, after a few caipistines, the effect might be this :

Posted Image

#6 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

God... I haven't tried this, so I don't know, but...

That sounds awful.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Try it. It's quite good.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

I dunno. I have tried many combinations of absinthe and lime, in a vain, desperate attempt at getting them to be delicious, to my palette anyway.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#9 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:24 AM

Sounds a lot like pisco sour sans eggwhite. Hmm. I got cachasa in my cabinet (along with pisco). Hmm
Will have to try.

#10 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

??? It does? Have you had a pisco sour before that tasted like absinthe?

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

one that they forgot to distill the herbs. :)

The mix looked like a pisco sour with all the limes and sugar, but yeah all them herbs in absinthe would change things. I like pisco sour, even though pisco sour severely mistreated me when I thought it was lightly spiked lemonade.

BTW I skip the egg white part when I make pisco sour.

#12 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Then you had an altogether different drink. Nothing wrong with that, but you aren't drinking pisco sours, ;) . Sorta like making a martini with zero vermouth, or an aviation without maraschino liqueur. Might make for a delicious drink (as I am sure a pisco, lime, sugar, and bitters drink would be), but you'll have to give it another name.

Absinthe and strong acids (in large amounts, as in this drink), combined with ice, almost always tend to cause the resultant drink to be oily, filmy, and (to my taste) industrial-feeling. I suppose I will have to try to whip one up to confirm this, and Brian tends to be usually pretty spot on... but I am greatly skeptical here.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

BTW I skip the egg white part when I make pisco sour.

Why?

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Sounds a lot like pisco sour sans eggwhite. Hmm. I got cachasa in my cabinet (along with pisco). Hmm
Will have to try.

seems like caipirinha ? I doubt it.... this "clandestine caipirinha" has, of course, the taste of absinthe, but really matches well the original caipirinha with cachaça (BTW, we always need good cachaça, and most of the imported cachaça are of the lowest quality available in Brazil).

cheers,

- Marcelo

#15 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Oh snap...trying one of these this weekend. And I just bought limes with no particular purpose... :dev-cheers:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#16 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Regretfully my cachaça is from the duty free in RJ, but it is ok. 95% of my one 15 day stay in Brazil was offshore, so fruit juice and Guarana Antartica was all I drank.

#17 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

BTW Marcelo, do you have family in New Orleans?

#18 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,712 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

Guarana Antartica.

:cheers:

It goes well with Green Chartreuse. :pirate:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#19 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

The little time I had on the beach, my eyes were not on booze. B)

#20 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,779 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

BTW, we always need good cachaça,

Attached File  untitled.jpg   76.45KB   0 downloads

^ The best I've found so far. Great stuff.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#21 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

thanks, Brian ! If I find "Nega Fulô" I will buy it for sure !!!

Miguel, unfortunately I don't have family in New Orleans..... I love that place.....and, I also when I go to the beach in Brazil my eyes are really focusing on other things..... :devil:

Cheers,

- Marcelo

PS: Guaraná Antarctica is the best guaraná in Brazil !!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association