I'm traveling to California this weekend. With the alcohol laws a little more liberal than in Washington State, is there anything I should be checking out when I visit the nearby BevMore?

If you're heading to So. Cal, check out HiTime Wine Cellar in Costa Mesa. They have a website too; I think it's www.hitimewine.net

Ended up with a bottle of Kübler from BevMo in San Mateo. It was less expensive than some other I feel are not as good. I'm curious about St. George, but didn't want to drop $74 on a brand untasted. I'll see if I can find a bar serving it before I leave the state. Besides, I believe St. George is available in WA. I would just have to look around more.

go to:

Vintage Wine & Spirits

67 Throckmorton Avenue

Mill Valley, CA

(415) 388-1626

www.vintagewines.biz

or

Bottle Barn

3331 “A” Industrial Drive,

Santa Rosa, CA

(707) 528-1161

San Mateo, you're in my neck of the woods. If you go to San Francisco stop by the Alembic. They serve absinthe there and make some great absinthe cocktails too!

...San Mateo....curious about St. George... find a bar serving it...

Go to the distillery in Alameda. www.stgeorgespirits.com/. Take the tour and for 10 bucks, you can try it.

I left for home before checking the last batch of messages, but I did stop at All State Liquors on Highway 1 about two miles shy of the Oregon border. They had the usual brands (Lucid, Pernod, etc.), Leopold Bros, plus a few Czech swill absinths (yes, they still spell it that way) - one with crap which may or may not be wormwood on in the bottle, and another that looked like a Scope/antifreeze blend. I picked up a bottle of Herbsaint (for $12, worth trying) and a small bottle of Le Tourment (again, for $8 it's worth trying).