Agreed.

If you're going to despoil change the flavor and texture of your absinthe, at least do it with the genuine article.

Forgive me for the coming heresy, but I must know-

Has anyone here tried 0 calorie/carb sugar substitutes? ... I ask because I'm currently the proud owner of a brand new bottle of obsello, but can't drink it til tomorrow cause I'm on the lo-carb diet :laugh:

I personally sugar everything except my Obsello and my VC. Particularly the Obsello. Maybe its my stunted smoker's taste buds, but the Obsello really doesn't taste that much different to me with sugar. To me, Obsello with sugar at 3:1 tastes roughly like Obsello with no sugar at 4:1. I'm not saying that I can't tell the difference, but I'll take the extra 1/4 of a glass...

Forgive me for the coming heresy, but I must know-

Has anyone here tried 0 calorie/carb sugar substitutes? ... I ask because I'm currently the proud owner of a brand new bottle of obsello, but can't drink it til tomorrow cause I'm on the lo-carb diet :laugh:

I personally sugar everything except my Obsello and my VC. Particularly the Obsello. Maybe its my stunted smoker's taste buds, but the Obsello really doesn't taste that much different to me with sugar. To me, Obsello with sugar at 3:1 tastes roughly like Obsello with no sugar at 4:1. I'm not saying that I can't tell the difference, but I'll take the extra 1/4 of a glass...

This past sunday I tried it without, and I just don't have the palette for that strong of an herbal flavor, as well balanced as Obsello is. I like 'em sweet.

The taste and feel of cane sugar eclipses all pretenders.

What does eclipse all (sugared) pretenders is une absinthe gommée, but good gomme syrup isn't that easy to find.

These days we have a less sweet tooth than our ancestors, so I tend to drink almost everything without added sugar (and frankly, if you've had any Pernod Fils that tasted young despite its age, you'd be puzzled if someone told you people liked to add sugar to it, given its excellent but very sweet green anise).

My spoons don't like it, but I've finally given in to sugarless absinthe.

Personally, I have never used sugar.....can't imagine using sugar. But I rarely use sugar in anything. I've not noticed any of the absinthes that I've tried begging for a little something extra. However thanks to the society and the information here.....I've never had a bad absinthe pass my lips. :worshippy: Which is a good thing....I don't do swill of any sort. I will clean my drains with it though, so it doesn't go completely to waste. :biggrin: Actually, there has only been one bottle that I couldn't even get past my nose.....poured all $60 of it right down the drain. Had I been thinking, I would have kept it for furniture stripper. haaa.

"Personally, I'm opposed to human sacrifice but I can think of some exceptions if anyone is needing suggestions." Awww Joe, I thought you were abit more adventurous.

Can't abide sugar with my absinthe, but I can definately get into the occasional human sacrifice. :devil:

Edited by Hedonmonkey

I use sugar, but that's because I got a sweet tooth, i also like it as part of the ritual, seeing it dissolve and vanish in the louche.

The brown cane is not the one i use, it wont dissolve properly, so normal white sugar for me.

(and no, I do not... light it on fire.... good grief...)

And whats wrong with a little human sacrifice? Its all in the good name of Great Cthulhu you know ;)

With the top absinthes, you will see that sugar just seems to mask the wonderful flavors from the herbs. I'm a sweet toothed person, but the more I drink absinthe, the less I bother with sugar. I can think of a few brands I like sugar with, and with some of those, it is on a rare occation.

Edited by Miguel

I used sugar with Lucid when absinthe first became available in the US.I haven't touched Lucid since,but a couple of weeks ago I started to experiment again w/sugar here & there.For me it's ok in some brands,but I'll probably be going "commando" again pretty soon.

Edited by redwun

I'm bi, sugar. I swing both ways.

Fixed to assuage my wild fantasies.* :paperbag3:

I'm kidding, Joe, I swear, please don't hurt me! :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe

Fixed to assuage my wild fantasies.* :paperbag3:
This gets even more entertaining after our visit to The Columbia Room. Katie Nelson is a pleasure to watch prepare drinks, a delightful host and her drinks are simply amazing. By our second cocktail, Jules and The Punk were gently arguing over which one would propose to Katie. I didn't blame either one. ;)

Old thread I know, but brilliant idea with the ice cube. I find my absinthes to be a bit sweet, but I throw in a sugar cube anyway because RITUAL HERESY.  An ice cube is a great idea for a substitute!