Assuming you use sugar, what experiences have you?

For my part, as a baker and a cook, I have never appreciated beet sugar. My apologies, but what I have read here does not persuade me different for drinking Absinthe.

I had no sugar cubes on hand when I began, and so used the coarse Mexican sugar (Zulka) that I keep on hand for household use. I then tried some specialty Absinthe sugar cubes that I am given to understand are beet sugar. Most recently, I tried some fancy cane sugar cubes, and having tried them haven't looked back. The taste and feel of cane sugar eclipses all pretenders.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

What are your thoughts?

Ummm, we try to avoid sugar fights. It is another contemptuous topic like religion and human sacrifice.

The bottom line is, try sugar (or sugars: beet, cane, agave, high fructose corn syrup--not) in your absinthe and try it without. 90% of the time, I like sugar. Other people feel differently. They're wrong, of course but that's alright, too.

Personally, I'm opposed to human sacrifice but I can think of some exceptions if anyone is needing suggestions.

Can you really tell a difference between the fancy sugar and the grocery store Domino stuff when mixed with Absinthe? If you say yes, I guess I'm making a trip to my local hippie food store.

I can't. Beet or cane cubes? They work great and taste great. The beet cubes melts more slowly than cane but that's about the only difference to me.

Can you really tell a difference between the fancy sugar and the grocery store Domino stuff when mixed with Absinthe? If you say yes, I guess I'm making a trip to my local hippie food store.

FWIW: To the best of my knowledge, Domino Brand sugar is pure cane sugar.

At someone's recommendation here, I just tried two dashes of Cointreau instead of sugar in my Vieux Carre and was very pleased with the taste. I feel that some Absinthe needs sugar, and it is very clear when it does. It is not the norm however, in my opinion. I have had about 30 different brands...

90% of the time, I like sugar.

I am in the same boat. There are some Swiss brands that I feel don't need sugar, but for the majority of the time I take mine with sugar. That being said I usually stick with beet sugar, or a simple syrup if I am in a pinch. Either way as long as you are not setting it on fire it's ok with me if you don't use sugar. I just have a sweet tooth!

even though I am new to the world of absinthe I have to admit that I don't like sugar. I don't use sugar for coffee, neither for juices.... a sugar box takes the whole year to finish in my house because I don't use for anything.... well, for caipirinha I have to use sugar, that is the way to make that drink....

I remember the first time I tried absinthe I asked my friend if I could drink without sugar.... she answered to me a "no" as if I was commiting a sin....

but, I found out in the last few months that I am happy in drinking absinthe with cold water.... no sugar..... of course the whole "ritual" of the sugar cube in the beatiful absinthe spoon is mesmerizing, but I am really happy to just drip the water without sugar or spoon attached...

cheers,

- Marcelo

but, I found out in the last few months that I am happy in drinking absinthe with cold water.... no sugar..... of course the whole "ritual" of the sugar cube in the beatiful absinthe spoon is mesmerizing, but I am really happy to just drip the water without sugar or spoon attached...

I don't sugar my absinthe, except in the rarest of situations. However, I do love the whole style and ambience of dripping water through an absinthe spoon. I picked this up from somebody here a couple years ago: use an absinthe spoon with an ice cube on it, and drip until the ice cube has melted. :)

Thanks for pointing that tip out, Peridot. I could totally get down with something like that. As it stands, I never use my spoons.

We have this going on this weekend where I am. My friends host this ever year, and every year I bring over some absinthe to drink with them. It's good times!

26547_387714193671_687383671_3751271_5095195_n.jpg

Edited by Touch-Money

The D.C. gathering has the feel of one of those Food Network competitions. I'm sure the porcine/wine pairings will be sumptuous, succulent, and scintillating, but the one in your neck of the woods seems more like my kinda wingding, Touch-My-Monkey! :thumbup: :yahoo: