Yeah, sorry Voski. I'm not sure about what inventory is approved in Alabama. I know Oklahoma is pretty lame too. Just Absente, Kübler, Lucid and St. George I think. We've got some other members from Alabama, hopefully they'll chime in and offer what experience they've had getting absinthes. I would venture to say that most get it through the online retailers though. But there's nothing wrong with that. Places like DUNY have a larger selection then you're apt to find in your local bottle shop, and they deliver for free with orders over $100. So when you're able to, order a couple bottles and you're all set!

If Absente is your first experience, you've done a lot better than some folks! Absente is only reasonably overcharged. There are some way worse fake-sinthes that run in the hundreds of dollars per bottle. If nothing more, it will give you a baseline. And frankly, the only way from there is up. So you've got lots to look forward to, providing Absente doesn't turn you off of absinthe for good!

One last question then I'm going to jump on reading other threads and try to become a "regular" to the drinking of absinthe. I've already read all about the ritual on making a glass (I do it the traditional way w/out lighting the sugar on fire), when you make the glass how much water and how much absinthe also do you just sip on that glass you make or do you take it like a shot? I said sip my friend whos drank it said you take the whole glass like a shot.

(I do it the traditional way w/out lighting the sugar on fire), when you make the glass how much water and how much absinthe also do you just sip on that glass you make or do you take it like a shot? I said sip my friend whos drank it said you take the whole glass like a shot.

No.... not like a shot ! Crazy kids like to do this just to get wasted. Not only the ritual of preparation, but the smell and taste is only there when you have the water mixed.... If you don't have a water fountain, you can get a sports bottle, the one that has a "sucking hole" and drip the water slowly. Even if you don't have a nice absinthe spoon, just use a fork to hold the sugar cube. Some absinthes do not even need sugar (for example, Obsello, is great withouth sugar). In my city I also only find Lucid and Kübler on the liquor stores....... But it is possible to find locally here in some places Leopold's which is a wonderful US made absinthe. You can buy from the Internet, like everyone mentioned above. In a few weeks or months you will eventually have some good brands to start enjoying and making your own taste.

good luck

- Marcelo