New to the board, new to absinthe - I'm from Huntsville, AL. Only brand I have drank is Absente w/ wormwood. The two brands I know I can get around here are Lucid and Absente.

Fill me in. Trying to drink more brands.

Welcome to the Forum.

Check out the reviews and take a look at the suggested vendors to see what you can get shipped. You may be in for a pleasant surprise. :cheers:

Could you give me the instructions on how you would have absinthe sent to Alabama and the cost of having it shipped to US? Totally new to absinthe drinking and such, like I previously said. I've only heard that Lucid and Absente is around where I live.

Edited by Voski

This one is easy. Visit DUNY, to order a bottle of "Pacifique" and "Vieux Carre" and/or "Duplais Verte." Over $99.99 orders ship free. Either of these three will send you down the road to excellent absinthe.

Could you give me the instructions on how you would have absinthe sent to Alabama and the cost of having it shipped to US? Totally new to absinthe drinking and such, like I previously said. I've only heard that Lucid and Absente is around where I live.

The only online vendor that I have found in the US that ships to Alabama is drinkupNY. They have free shipping on orders over $100, so if you buy a couple of bottles... I recently received my first order from them. It only took 4 days (I'm also in Alabama), and it was packed very well.

Edited by Awful

Well, since there looks to be some Alabama residents here. What are some of the 'absinthes' that are sold at the liquor stores in state? All I've heard is Lucid and Absente. Also, when you tell me - it'd be highly appreciated which is the better ones to get.

Well, since there looks to be some Alabama residents here. What are some of the 'absinthes' that are sold at the liquor stores in state? All I've heard is Lucid and Absente. Also, when you tell me - it'd be highly appreciated which is the better ones to get.

You are doing better than me on that front. I have yet to see absinthe in a liquor store in Alabama.

Hey Voski- Welcome to the forums.

In regards to Lucid vs. Absente (Regular, with Wormword or Grand), I would say Lucid is definitely superior.

However, listen to Joe and look in to buying from Drinkupny. Not only do they have great, fair pricing, but they also have very safe (usually free) shipping. All three brands Joe mentioned are top notch. I would also include Kübler and Obsello, both great values as you "learn" absinthe.

I will say Pacifique is one of my favorites. (*On a side note I have a glass next to me right now with the last of my bottle of Pacifique in it- I am going to go cry now)

This one is easy. Visit DUNY, to order a bottle of "Pacifique" and "Vieux Carre" and/or "Duplais Verte." Over $99.99 orders ship free. Either of these three will send you down the road to excellent absinthe.

For about $35-$40 more (today) you could also try the Jade Edouard, N.O. and PF1910 from absintheonline.com... at one time the only place you could find well-made absinthe.

The Jade Four would be an interesting buy, but just north of $300.

The other thing to point out is that these are 70cl/700ml bottles... you'd be getting 750ml from DrinkUpNY, and yep, what he suggested are pretty much the top of that lot.

From absintheonline it'll likely be left for you at your given address; DrinkUp will have it labeled as beverage alcohol and you'll likely sign for it. Absintheonline specials mean you pay no additional shipping fees and it's usually rather prompt to arrive, given it ships from the other side of the Atlantic, so typically close to a business week at most.

For DrinkUp, 'bout the same if not earlier.

You can also look at Markus' site... even if you're interested in mignonettes or the latest works from the Matter-Luginbühl distillery.

Luc-Santiago Rodriguez started doing cheaper shipping options from Vert d'Absinthe... look into the Les Parisiennes.

Hi, I used to live in Hunstville and Madison. I sometimes go back to visit my sister who is stuck ... ummm... I mean still lives there. I usually end up bringing a bottle or two with me, because she can't find any good quality stuff there. (she's also too lazy to order off the internet) I would say just order from some of the good websites out there and that will be your best bet on getting some good quality absinthe. Yes, you will end up paying more than just going to your local liquor store, but the quality will also be much better and you will have more variety to choose from.

Happy drinking!

:cheerz:

Welcome ! Here you can learn about absinthe very quickly. I just joined, and ordered a few different bottles after some hints and some reading.... I even made some cocktails (there is a frappé recipe somewhere here that is wonderful).

Good luck. The crowd in this forum is wonderful !

- Marcelo

This one is easy. Visit DUNY, to order a bottle of "Pacifique" and "Vieux Carre" and/or "Duplais Verte."

And a bottle of Sazerac rye. Because after you've cruised around the forum a bit, you'll wish you had one.

Welcome! :cheers:

Whats the difference between Lucid and Kübler and ACTUAL absinthe?

Also, if I order from drinkupny are the bottles I get there actual absinthe? From browsing around the forums and reading, there is no actual absinthe that I can get without ordering online.

Lucid and Kübler are actual absinthe. If you look at the reviews you can seen "absinthe substitutes" and "faux absinthe" and "traditional absinthe" the Lucid and the Kübler fall into the "traditional absinthe" category. Now, if you want something more high quality than those two mentioned then you will need to order off the internet. Reviews

Also, if I order from drinkupny are the bottles I get there actual absinthe? From browsing around the forums and reading, there is no actual absinthe that I can get without ordering online.

It sounds like you've been reading the wrong forums. Take a minute to read the FAQ's and all the info on the front site (http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/). Trust me, it will do you a lot of good, and it will make your shopping much easier.

Basically, to be an absinthe, the product must be distilled with the required botanicals (grand wormwood, anise and fennel). Any others are not absinthe. This includes macerated liquors, where the herbs are just steeped in a neutral spirit, and oil mixes, where essential oils are added to a neutral spirit.

There are a bunch of right nice, properly distilled absinthes available right here in the US. There are also some great brands from distilleries located overseas as well, primarily France and Swizerland. Since you're new to absinthe, I'll go ahead and warn you that Czech absinthes, or anything boasting high thujone content are generally 100% bogus absinthe-wannabes. You can get authentic absinthes overseas from only reputable vendors like the ones listed on the front site here. That includes LdF and Lion.

A few people have pointed you in the right direction so far. DUNY has a good selection here in the States, even though they do have a couple crap brands. Stay away from that Koruna mess with the twigs in it that DUNY has available.

Go figure the first brand I buy, Absente, is bogus. Ugh, hopefully I can grab a bottle of Lucid around town when I scavenge up some extra money. Seeing as Absente cost me $65, I'm wondering what Lucid will cost me in good ol' Alabama.

Go figure the first brand I buy, Absente, is bogus.

That depends on how long ago you bought Absente. They recently changed their formula to include Wormwood. Or so I've read.

That at least makes it a bit more like an absinthe, although the added sugar still disqualifies it for me. :)

Please take all posts by absinthist with a grain of salt. ;) He means well, but can be a tad extreme at times (only because he cares so much).

Edited by Phoenix

Grand wormwood? Or just ambiguous wormwood? There are over a hundred species of artemisia, but only Artemisia absinthium (grand wormwood) makes absinthe. I wasn't aware they changed their original to include grand wormwood. That was the difference between the regular Absente and the Grande Absente.

Ah. It's a shame this stuff can still be found on shelves though.

I haven't seen Peridot around in a minute, but perhaps he can help Voski out with the whole absinthe in Alabama thing.

Southern wormwood does not an absinthe make, unfortunately. It's the wrong kind of wormwood. Originally, Absente said they did that in order to make it fully compliant with US regulations that the finished product must be thujone free. But the TTB defines thujone free as less than 10 parts per million. What every other distiller has figured out, thanks to the hard work of a small group of folks, is that even a properly distilled absinthe using preban recipes, techniques and grand wormwood will still fall below the 10ppm requirement.

So even if you take Absente for their word, and that they only did it to be compliant (versus just trying to find yet another corner to cut in order to be an even cheaper dreck), there is still no way to excuse the fact that 3 years later they are still making the Absente without grand wormwood. It's why some people jokingly refer to it as Absent.

During the years of the absinthe ban, there were absinthe substitutes and pastis, neither of which had grand wormwood in them. Absente is basically a pastis, except for the fact that it's sugared as well, which makes it a liqueur. And it's a cheap ass oil mix.