Awful

I made some bad choices

About a year ago, I was in Athens Georgia and noticed a small bottle of Le Toument by the cash register of a liquor store. I had always heard about and wanted to try absinthe, so I bought it. I had no idea what I was doing. I was already fairly inebriated, and I am pretty sure that I poured it into a plastic cup over some Sweet'n Low (I knew that sugar was somehow involved).

I didn't care too much for the above-mentioned concoction and didn't think about absinthe again until about 2 weeks ago when I was coming out of the airport in Paris. I saw a bottle of Absente in the Duty Free shop and thought to myself, "Absinthe! Damn! Why didn't I think of that when I was actually in France (as opposed to on my way out of France)." So I bought it, brought it home, and drank it. I now know that Absente isn't a real Absinthe, but at the time I enjoyed it greatly and decided that I wanted more immediately.

So, before I knew that the Wormwood Society existed, I found my way to DrinkupNY. Based on all of the awards listed, I ordered a bottle of La Fee, and topped it off with a bottle of La Charlotte to qualify for free shipping. The next day, I found the Wormwood Society... but it was too late. I have been lurking ever since

I now know that I have sampled and own some terrible absinthe. I have enjoyed them all though and currently have a bottle of Vieux Carre and Obsello (again, added on to get the free shipping) on the way. I am looking forward to seeing if I can discern good from bad absinthe.

The Pacifique is definitely my next purchase (I had some bizarre reasoning for not getting it this time though it escapes me now), but considering that I will shortly be sitting on 4 bottles of absinthe, it might be a few weeks. I am also very interested to try the Delaware Phoenix ones, but I can't find anyone who has it in stock and ships to Alabama.

Awful, your choices are kinda comical! The good news is that you got better each time, although only marginally! My first absinthe was garbage as well. I haven't opened my bottle of La Charlotte yet, but I'm sure it tastes exactly like what it is. A $30 absinthe.

Your Obsello and Vieux Carre will be nice. The Obsello will have a slightly different profile than most absinthes, but it's still a tasty beverage. The Vieux Carre is pretty complex, but is also great. I second sbmac's suggestion above. Give Pacifique a whirl. It's about the most balanced absinthe available in the US. And you'd be making a mistake if you didn't eventually get yourself a bottle of either of the two Delaware Phoenix absinthes (Meadow of Love and Walton Waters). They're not available at DUNY, but can definitely be had from Catskill Cellars. Get with Julie.

I am pretty sure that I poured it into a plastic cup over some Sweet'n Low (I knew that sugar was somehow involved).
:laf:

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

The Pacifique is definitely my next purchase (I had some bizarre reasoning for not getting it this time though it escapes me now), but considering that I will shortly be sitting on 4 bottles of absinthe, it might be a few weeks. I am also very interested to try the Delaware Phoenix ones, but I can't find anyone who has it in stock and ships to Alabama.

If you are already using Drink up NY you should also try Astor Wines also in NY you can get Delaware Phoenix there. Shipping is not free but you make up for it in the lower prices, so it all evens out.

I would love to be able to order from Astor Wines, but according to their shipping info page, they will not ship to Alabama. Considering that they are both New York based, I wonder why DrinkUpNY will ship here but Astor will not.

About a year ago, I was in Athens Georgia and noticed a small bottle of Le Toument by the cash register of a liquor store. I had always heard about and wanted to try absinthe, so I bought it. I had no idea what I was doing. I was already fairly inebriated, and I am pretty sure that I poured it into a plastic cup over some Sweet'n Low (I knew that sugar was somehow involved).

I didn't care too much for the above-mentioned concoction and didn't think about absinthe again until about 2 weeks ago when I was coming out of the airport in Paris. I saw a bottle of Absente in the Duty Free shop and thought to myself, "Absinthe! Damn! Why didn't I think of that when I was actually in France (as opposed to on my way out of France)." So I bought it, brought it home, and drank it. I now know that Absente isn't a real Absinthe, but at the time I enjoyed it greatly and decided that I wanted more immediately.

So, before I knew that the Wormwood Society existed, I found my way to DrinkupNY. Based on all of the awards listed, I ordered a bottle of La Fee, and topped it off with a bottle of La Charlotte to qualify for free shipping. The next day, I found the Wormwood Society... but it was too late. I have been lurking ever since

I now know that I have sampled and own some terrible absinthe. I have enjoyed them all though and currently have a bottle of Vieux Carre and Obsello (again, added on to get the free shipping) on the way. I am looking forward to seeing if I can discern good from bad absinthe.

Oh the Sweet and Lo isnt so bad! Im on Weight Watchers and had to give up the sugar (but not the Absinthe).. just wish that it would somehow come in cube form so I could use my spoons. And had the La Verte and the Absente as well! next to the Cr*p i made myself ( which was just a wee it better than bong water) they werent too bad but not ones I would repeat.

I say skip the sugar (or sugar substitutes) entirely...straight up with a low water:absinthe ratio is my motto! :cheerz:

Im on Weight Watchers and had to give up the sugar (but not the Absinthe).. just wish that it would somehow come in cube form so I could use my spoons.

I would try using an ice cube instead of a sugar cube (thanks to peridot for that idea) and dropping the sweetener on the cube once there was a dip for it to sit in. I've done that with an ice cube and free-flowing sugar and it works very well.