• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#31 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

I actually didn't know that's why people started going by real names.

it was confusing as hell when I got back.

Now you know why we did it :pirate:

#32 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

well.... just my own perception :

I posted the same topic in FV with pretty much similar text.

I don't think that the answers there were actually useful. People diverted, made some jokes --- ok --- but I did not read any pragmatic answer or discussion of my posted topic. Someone directed me to another absinthe forum (---- someone says this is essence of WS ---), of course I smell some past problems, which I don't care because I am new around here and there...

Maybe is too much of my "engineering personality"... but I prefer answers....

Although I have to admit that someone there answered in my topic that "I can say whatever I want on the FV that I will not be banned but will have to bear the consequences".... which is something that I personally like..... but, of course I prefer to discuss my own philosophical point of views in person, after some good food and drinks....

cheers,

- Marcelo

#33 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,170 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:05 AM

An engineering personality is a wonderful thing if people want answers. It's nice to know or work out the question to find an answer. Although, some things are better left undisturbed. Personalities are difficult to calculate. Some folks will resist. THe past is exactly that, past, not current. Let's do current for awhile and see how that goes. The answers will come if one hangs around and pays attention. Being a forum of diverse folks, it's often better to just go with the flow versus :poke:

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#34 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

Although I have to admit that someone there answered in my topic that "I can say whatever I want on the FV that I will not be banned but will have to bear the consequences".... which is something that I personally like

Likening the WS to a military dictatorship is a little ridiculous. There's a reason why we try to encourage people to act more civilized at this forum. It's because it's not just a forum for absinthe geeks to mess around. This place was set up as a resource. We want a place where the public, press, scholars, etc can go to and feel comfortable while they gather their information.

The more arguments and insults that appear in this forum, the less credible it appears to outsiders. Since our goal is to educate the masses, the best thing to do is require a certain decorum.

The issue of the differences between the FV and WS has been discussed ad nauseam. There's no real reason to continue to do so. All it does is reopen old wounds and provide another opportunity for certain people to make jabs and start arguments again. As Bill said, what's in the past is in the past.

A better comparison (as opposed to a military dictatorship) is to the difference between a Suit-and-tie restaurant and your local McDonalds. There are different ettiquettes that are expected in each venue. You wouldn't go to the former in sweats and a hat, chewing gum, and acting boisterous. And presumably you wouldn't sip your coke with a pinkie lifted at McDonalds. Yet, many people can feel comfortable in both places and know how to comport themselves accordingly depending on where they are at any given moment.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#35 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

Yet, many people can feel comfortable in both places and know how to comport themselves accordingly depending on where they are at any given moment.

And in a handful of years only six members (the seventh in that hideous wall of shame being the puppet of one of the sixth) found the WS rules too constricting. Generally, their biggest transgression was flaming new members. They simply couldn't accept the WS educational mission, wanting WS to be their own personal playground so they could bully others.

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

Some have even decided to come back. It's really nice to see them too. The contributions that they can make (and have made) are quite valuable. We just want to have an atmosphere where anyone can pull from the resources that are here, instead of them having to wade through arguments, flaming and name-calling to get to what they are looking for.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

... someone there answered in my topic that "I can say whatever I want on the FV that I will not be banned but will have to bear the consequences"...

I wasn't going to bother with this yet again, but here we go:

You can say what want at WS, we only expect you to say it in a civil manner. We don't allow political or religious debate or bigotry of any kind, and we strongly frown upon personal abuse, insults and pointless trolling.

No one has been banned at WS for simply voicing an opinion. Ever.
No one has been banned at WS for simply simply disagreeing with me. Ever.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#38 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

But a small few (literally like 3 or 4 people) will forever continue the propaganda that says the contrary.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#39 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Some even publicly admit to wanting to join specifically to try to get banned.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#40 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Yep.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#41 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

I posted the same topic in FV with pretty much similar text.

Somehow I missed it. I had to go back and search on your text to find it. For what it's worth, "Under the Bridge" is where trolls live. That section is a place to which moderators can move posts made by trolls. If your post was moved there, I'm sorry, that shouldn't have happened in my opinion. There's no reason a person can't start a thread there if he wants to, but it might provoke some people.

#42 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I myself was wondering if it was moved there or if it started there.

Is there something that keeps that area of the forum from coming up when you search for new posts? I missed it until today as well.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#43 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Since it didn't come when I used the "new posts" button, which is about all I ever use, I suspect that it doesn't come up using that feature. That's news to me.

#44 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

The differences between the forums are simple.

The WS is where Brian argues with Paul Nathan (and a few others).

FV is where Brian argues with Tibro (and a few others).

TARN is where Brian argues with Caravano (and a few others).

:pirate:
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#45 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

:laf:

Funny enough. It seems like the only things that keep either of the other two places hopping is the arguing. As soon as they stopped, so did all the activity.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#46 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

I was looking where to post on FV this topic, I did not find a "cork board" like here..... all the topics were pretty much specific, and I started the post on "Under the Bridge" but I had no idea that "trolls" would live there..... so, it was "my fault" but I really tried to be careful where to post, since that forum seems "sensitive".

Then I found out that posts on "Under the Bridge" do not show on "New Posts".... you really have to go there and select that topic.

I am sorry if I stirred old and dead conversations... but my curiosity usually provokes these kind of reactions... I (fortunatelly, or unfortunately) have the personality that I don't take things for granted and go after the "foundations" of whatever is being said, or stated.

So, for sure, you will not expect me to start religious views, I became agnostic and quiet on the last few years on religious point of views.

However, political point of views I am not quiet. But I don't like to discuss political views over the net. I am already from the time that Internet was on Unix, and discussions were on Newsgroups. I even used a previous network before Internet, called Bitnet... so I am innoculated against e-flares.

I am here just to enjoy learning absinthe, and other things that you I appreciated in this forum, and I have to confess that I am really surprised and comfortable with the high level of cordiallity and virtual friendship that you, at WS, demonstrates with your answers and posts.

cheers,

- Marcelo

#47 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

The friendship often goes beyond virtual. There are quite a few tastings and get togethers held at someone's home. Often it's an open invitation to meet and greet in real life. There is such a thing as real life. So, drink up! Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#48 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

Funny enough. It seems like the only things that keep either of the other two places hopping is the arguing. As soon as they stopped, so did all the activity.

I don't know about arguing per se, but controversy certainly keeps the pot boiling.

And what Bill said.

Edited by Artemis, 15 April 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#49 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

I am already from the time that Internet was on Unix

I knew it! You're a TIME TRAVELER!

#50 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

I knew Retrogarde couldn't have been the only one.

They're plotting a coup, I tell ya! :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#51 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

I knew it! You're a TIME TRAVELER!

are you from "this time" as well ? Man, my first course on computer science was using punchcards.... ah ah ah.. I still have some cards from that time.... First time I used email was in 1987, with the Bitnet, a network of IBM computers.... Internet that time in US was still an Arpanet project, maintaned by the military....

cheers.... dinossaurs are still alive....

- Marcelo

#52 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

And presumably you wouldn't sip your coke with a pinkie lifted at McDonalds.

Oh, so THAT'S why I always feel out of place at Mickey D's!

Funny, I never could figure out how to eat Chicken McNuggets without knife and fork...
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#53 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

... are you from "this time" as well ? ... First time I used email was in 1987, with the Bitnet, a network of IBM computers.... Internet that time in US was still an Arpanet project, maintaned by the military....

cheers.... dinossaurs are still alive...

Are you kidding? The first time Absomphe used email it was in cuneiform.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#54 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,414 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Linear A, actually.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#55 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

well, the discussion "there" (FV) is "hot"..... and it became more a "banning or not banning issue", but I don't want to put my spoon on someone's else soup...

I am thinking this : suppose that someone is banned..... that person registers another email, another username, use fake information, and then, he or she is back to the forum...

How can you actually ban someone and avoid him or her to come back to the forum, if today anyone can have any virtual "identity" ?

:pirate:

cheers,

- Marcelo

#56 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

When you see the term 'puppet' used, that's what we're talking about.

The admission process is pretty in depth, and we do our best to catch puppets. There are plenty of tools at our disposal to do exactly that. There's no reason to create one unless you're intent on causing trouble. If someone is 'banned' or suspended, but wants to come back to continue to be a productive member of the forum, it's a pretty easy thing to do, unlike what Prol described.

But in any case, as you can see, this topic has shown much of the difference between the two forums.

I think it's best we just let this whole conversation die down. It's not productive by any means and has instead just inflamed tensions again. Your intentions, I'm sure, were benign. But this is a perfect example of a good opportunity to do some research and use the search function. There's a lot of history, and it's not hard to find mention of it. At either forum.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#57 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Agree, it's probably best to let it die down, but really there was no way Marcelo could have guessed what his thread would provoke. I've seen it all unfold two or three times now, and frankly I still find it hard to believe what I'm seeing.

The bottom line is, at WS you will almost never see anyone denigrate another absinthe forum, and indeed most of us here greatly respect the FV site. That fact alone speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Edit: Sweet!!!! 748 posts!!!
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#58 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Marcelo,

You had mentioned Brazilian coffee somewhere.....

There's a Brazilian family that's sourcing and roasting coffee up in Ft. Collins called Cafe Richesse. The proprietor received his PhD in Ag. Engineering, and makes wonderful blends that I'd suspect you'd like. Give 'em a call, and tell them that Leopold Bros. sent you.

We use their coffee for our coffee liqueur. Wonderful stuff from a wonderful family.

Cheers!

Cafe Richesse

#59 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

but really there was no way Marcelo could have guessed what his thread would provoke.

Your intentions, I'm sure, were benign.

;)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#60 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

but really there was no way Marcelo could have guessed what his thread would provoke.

For sure, but I knew full well. Apologies to Marcelo, I wasn't trying to use him. I hoped some good would come of it; maybe it still will. I've communicated privately to Hiram about it; sorry if I offended anyone.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association