• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Can someone please explain me the differences and similarities of the forums in WS and in La Fée Verte ?

I observed that there are some common people in both........ The web-site programing is very similar, so probably the web-site was developed by same people..... (???)

However, I fell more comfortable here in WS. La Fée Verte is "more slow" in responding, in addition, I just had 2 welcomes there, and here I had many from my first post...

There are a few topics in WS that we don't have in La Fée Verte, and vice-versa....

I also observed that in La Fée Verte people like to be more anonymous than here....... it would be interesting to understand why....

and the question "Why don't we merge both forums ? "

- Marcelo

PS: I am posting this discussion only here..... thanks.....

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Run by different people and handled differently. FV can be a bit more boisterous and lets people run a bit more with arguments/jest/insults and such. WS is a bit more structured and isn't as forgiving when it comes to being disrespectful. We try to be more of a public resource than just a discussion forum so we try to be a bit more tame. This type of environment isn't for everyone, but it suits us well.

Regarding activity, it's all about how many people visit the forum on a daily basis. Although I'd think that to be self-explanatory.

Both forums use Invision Power Board, which is a service available for anyone who wants to run a forum.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,722 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

and the question "Why don't we merge both forums ?

:shudder:

A little variety is nice.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#4 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

It's like two different pubs in the same town. The atmosphere is a little different even though you may see the same people in either place. Generally, the respect is mutual and that's a great way to keep it.

#5 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Nice way to wrap that up, Joe.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#6 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

> so probably the web-site was developed by same people..... (???)

No. La Fée Verte was created by Kallisti, who never posts there anymore, although she is member Number 1. The board is currently in its third or fourth incarnation, using (if memory serves me well) different software each time. La Fée Verte is older than this board, which was founded by Hiram (I think), who was first a member at La Fée Verte. La Fée Verte is now owned by Oxygenee, who took it over from Kallisti.

> However, I fell more comfortable here in WS. La Fée Verte is "more slow" in responding, in addition, I just had 2 welcomes there,
> and here I had many from my first post...

I assume you mean people are slower to respond, as the boards function in the same way with the same speed. There has never been a time at FV when a lot of people jumped in to welcome new members - it's nothing personal. For what it's worth, you were treated very well at FV by FV standards.

> I also observed that in La Fée Verte people like to be more anonymous than here....... it would be interesting to understand why....

I could just as well observe that people here like to use their real names (if that's really the case, and I'm not sure it is) and I don't understand that. Apart from the obvious opportunities provided to mischief makers by using your real name, keep in mind that when FV was started, absinthe was not legal in the United States, and it was very much a clandestine thing in more ways than one.

> and the question "Why don't we merge both forums ? "

There is no "we". As pointed out above, the two forums are owned and operated by entirely different people.

> PS: I am posting this discussion only here..... thanks.....

Why not post it at FV?

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

For what it's worth, you were treated very well at FV by FV standards.

Most definitely!

I could just as well observe that people here like to use their real names (if that's really the case, and I'm not sure it is) and I don't understand that.

I don't think anyone 'likes' to do it, but it was suggested people do so. In was done witht he thought that, with personal accountability, people would behave a little better. The suggestion was made during a peculiarly harsh week or so where the behavior was unacceptable to many.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I didn't think "like" was the best word, but I just went with the flow.

There have been many harsh weeks at FV, a lot of them involving newbies, and that has something to do with the perceived "tone" there. A lot of old hands are just bored, as well. I understand the personal accountability thing, and that's the reason I've always used Artemis on the various boards. It's not my real name, but it's consistent.

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

And it works, it seems.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

I think there is an accountability to using a real name. I've met a few people that could be anonymous assholes but mellowed out immediately when the veil of anonymity was lifted. It was an amazing transformation. We only encourage using real names but we certainly don't require it. Some people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not revealing their real name and for some people, it's just fun. No big deal.

Hopefully, there was not a transformation between T73 and the real me. I'm sure they were/are equally boring.

#11 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

In the earliest days of FV, I think Ted Breaux was the only person using his real name.

The true reveal takes place when people finally meet in person, and then the Internet relationship is transformed forever, and almost always for the better.

#12 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

There has never been a time at FV when a lot of people jumped in to welcome new members - it's nothing personal.

Basically, but not entirely true.

The old and nefarious Cozy Nostrils (don't ask) were extremely vociferous, in general, and particularly loved to "welcome" newbies. Of course, with friends like us :paperbag3:, who needed enemies? :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#13 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

The true reveal takes place when people finally meet in person, and then the Internet relationship is transformed forever, and almost always for the better.

I couldn't have possibly have said that any better. Many acquaintances have become very good friends.

#14 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

This has been my internet nom de plume for a dozen years. I'm just too darn lazy to change. :tongue:
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#15 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

What Artemis said that Joe quoted and affirmed.

:cheers: y'all!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#16 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:20 AM

That being said, absintheurs cannot be trusted.
Believe me son, if your pal as an alcohol as a passion, can't be good. That's why I never use my real name, and even sometimes use a nickname to hide my nickname. True story :)

Joke appart, the way I percieve it, FeeVerte members can be defined only by one thing : they've been around for quite a time for many of them, and a great percentage of them are "major league" actors. Think of them as old geezers venerable elders of the absinthe world (except for absomphe, for whom the struck terms stand).

Definitely not out of reach, but you won't interest them with trifling issues, that is, on that board. They've seen too much, know too much. And therefore, they don't cut around the bush when they express their opinions.

Hell, even in private conversations the tone is not the same, even with the same person :)

Starting with the wormwood sounds good to me : many beginners, the tone, while fun, is quite calm (unless Paul Nathan is involved ).

And that's the point of view of someone pretty new to the absinthe world (my first message on a board is Nov 2008), not the words of a board leader to another :)
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#17 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Listen, Aggelos, just because your palate is skewed toward those funky, half-baked assemblages, that's no reason to get all toffee-nosed, noob. :wheelchair: ;) :cheers:

#18 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

True dat' , noob I am, noob I'll stay :)

#19 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

Think of them as venerable elders of the absinthe world. <snip>Definitely not out of reach, but you won't interest them with trifling issues, that is, on that board. They've seen too much, know too much. And therefore, they don't cut around the bush when they express their opinions.

My regard for many members of FV is of the highest respect, Aggelos and there is much truth to what you say but considering the shared membership of FV & WS and knowing the caliber of the experts here, The Wormwood Society does not take a backseat to anyone when it comes to knowledge or credibility of absinthe expertise. I think the heart of the difference between the two Forums is as you said, FV may not be interested with trifling issues when The Wormwood Society's primary mission is education for people just discovering absinthe. "Venerable elders" unwilling to share their knowledge and experience would just be a bunch of grumpy old farts here and likewise, I would assume the patience and enthusiasm necessary for The Wormwood Society to carry out our mission would quickly grow old and tiresome at FV. No problem.

As I explained earlier, it's like two different pubs. Depending upon your attitude at a particular moment, you might be more inclined to visit one instead of the other. I'm sure there is a very pleasant comfort level for members at either place.

#20 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

No harm intended Joe, and what you say is definitely true. That's the term I was looking for : educationnal, meaning that there are indeed seasonned absintheurs over here :)
And unless I specify so, the things I write only add to what have been said before ;)

Sometimes having to think in English fails me :)

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Me too. :twitchsmile:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

True dat' , noob I am, noob I'll stay :)

I think we should all feel that way, if only because it makes what may be just around the corner all the more wondrous. :)

#23 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

If I believe your posts counter, you still have some way to go before you even become a noob' :)

As for me, darn, a few years ago, Un Emile was the best thing around, when I see where we are today, please slap me if I sound bored one of these days :)

#24 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

My pleasure, but I somehow doubt that will ever happen. :devil: :cheers:

#25 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

No harm intended Joe

And none assumed, my foreign friend. :cheers:

Sometimes having to think in English fails me :)

At least you have an excuse! :laugh:

#26 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

I only think in images.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#27 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

As to the two forums, they're not only owned and operated by different people, they serve two completely different primary purposes. The only overlap is in topic matter and the opportunity for online socializing.

The differences pissed off a lot of people who apparently didn't, and perhaps still don't, understand the fundamental purpose and direction of WS as more than just an online discussion forum. They apparently felt entitled to be able to force WS to be what they wanted it to be, rather than what it was intended to be. That friction destroyed friendships and created what some refer to as a schism. We're talking about less than a dozen people out of nearly 2000 that have joined, and over 200 actively participating members.

Personally, I'm mystified as to why some few could not see the emergent need in this country for an outreach organization that maintains the level of professionalism necessary to create dialog with other professionals such as publishers and writers, culinary and beverage orgs, restaurant and bar owners, bartenders, and most importantly, government agencies.

As for me, darn, a few years ago, Un Emile was the best thing around, when I see where we are today...

There are a few folks around who have been involved in the absinthe renaissance literally from its beginnings over 12 years ago. I first began getting involved only nine years ago and never joined a forum until a little over six years ago. I'd venture to say that things have changed faster and more dramatically in these last six years than they did in the previous six.

When I first became involved with absinthe, the brands being extolled were the newcomers, the Un Emile line and the two Fougerolles. However the recent history at the time showed that the more commonly accepted brands had been NS 70, Mari Mayans, Deva and La Fée. There were only a handful of Czech products.

The occasional bottle of true Swiss la bleue would surface, and many more allegedly smuggled-in la bleues that were actually made here for a dubious and price-gouging reseller in the southwest. Tasting pre-ban was not at all a common option. The much-awaited and semi-mythical "Jade" was still only a rumor and the only absinthes that truly represented pre-ban excellence weren't commercially available anywhere in the world.

I honestly envy those—like Artemis, Ted, Kallisti, and Oxy, who have been around to personally watch this phenomena evolve from its birth, but I'm grateful to have arrived as early as I did. And we're still in the beginning. There's so much more to come.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#28 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

I honestly envy those—like Artemis, Ted, Kallisti, and Oxy, who have been around to personally watch this phenomena evolve from its birth, but I'm grateful to have arrived as early as I did.

Having started lurking on Fee Verte in 1999, I most heartily concur with the above. :thumbup:

#29 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

Angry drunks are over there, happy drunks are over here

#30 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

I think there is an accountability to using a real name. I've met a few people that could be anonymous assholes but mellowed out immediately when the veil of anonymity was lifted. It was an amazing transformation. We only encourage using real names but we certainly don't require it. Some people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not revealing their real name and for some people, it's just fun. No big deal.

I think it's just more convenient to use my screen name than my real name. I'm not anonymous at all; just about everyone here knows my real name and it's ridiculously easy to find it out if they don't. However, I only use two user names across all the forums I visit, peridot and themeliorist. It's easier to keep track that way.

I actually didn't know that's why people started going by real names. I always assumed it was an advisory board/ absinthe producer transparency thing. It started when I was away for a while without convenient, regular access to a computer and it was confusing as hell when I got back.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association