bksmithey

Leopold Bros Absinthe

for it.

CA leaves this week. Batch 8.

Do you have a distribution in Maryland?

We don't have distribution in MD. But as Scuto mentioned above (thanks), you can get our Absinthe from Best Cellars in Dupont Circle, and they ship to MD. Give them a call, as their website does not handle orders.

Thanks for the interest.

Thread Bump.

Batch #14 is on it's way to the good people of New York.

We're getting them the graphics to upload, and then you should be able to order Leopold Bros. Verte from Drink Up NY this coming week just in time for the Holidays.

Cheers.

I just placed an order with them yesterday but not for Leopold #14. Looks like I'll be turning over the couch cushions and going through the laundry looking for more change. Thanks Todd. *smile*

Cheers!

Still savoring batch #10, myself. I'll be ordering some more after the first of the year.

This is definitely one absinthe to keep on hand!

Appreciate the comments. Hopefully, It'll keep improving from your perspective. I'll let you all know when it's at DUNY. They're pushing real hard to get it available before Xmas, but we'll see.

Excitement and jubilation! I shall buy it instead of paying rent, because that's just how I roll.

And also because bad ideas seem better when you're exhausted to the point of delirium.

I've been getting some batch 10 from John Walker, who fortunately ships to WA. Though I confess I've not been bugging the local liquor stores as much since then about it. But batch 10 is wonderful, and I'm glad DrinkUpNY is going to start carrying this stuff. I can't wait to try something that goes past 11 ;)

I'm loving the later batches. I've amended my review as well, to show updated info.

I have made the pilgrimage to Wash DC in order to buy some Leopold Bros.. They had batch 6 and batch 8 available, I purchased a bottle of batch 8.

I now feel that I've tasted two of the great ones: a sample sent by a WS member, and this. I will be posting my naif review :thumbup: shortly :laugh:

[edit] If there is any "philosophical gripe" I have courage to muster thus far in my Adventures Absinthine, it's that the grape-based brands seem to have a natural advantage, particularly in the aroma. But doesn't that seem less in the tradition of the "grape blight era" absinthe? I'm also guessing, however, that "Jacque Deux Doses" (the Belle Epoque's Joe Six-Pack, dontcha know B) ) was less inclined towards the kind of in-depth analysis that the nectar receives herein.

Edited by Beautiful Loosher

Well, I just tasted the Leopold, and I'm afraid I have to buck the trend a bit. This absinthe is acceptable, but I find there is something in both the aroma and flavor that is overwhelmingly grassy. Whatever might be going on with the anise, wormwood, and fennel is obscured by this scent, and that prevents it from being in my top tier.

I don't want to sound overly negative...my review on the main site is just above 3 for all my concerns...but I do think there are refinements to be made for this brand to reach its full potential.

Perhaps with time this will "air out" a bit, and if it does, I will update my review accordingly...

I look forward to your update. ;)

I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Hmmm. Not sure what to do with this input given what others are saying about the same batch. I'll have to hit the distillery tomorrow, and have a look at a #14.

This was the same input I got from the initial batches.....too much chlorophyll was drawing a curtain over the rest of the aromas and flavors. Is that pretty much what you're saying?

Thanks so much for the input.

Could just be a matter of being a touch too fresh also. Seems many absinthes do better with a bit of age, even a couple weeks can do wonders, especially after the initial uncorking. I'm interested to see what Marlow thinks after some time has elapsed.

Hmmm. Not sure what to do with this input given what others are saying about the same batch.

I understand. After I tried your absinthe, I went back and read all the other reviews, and it struck me that my reaction (an outlier among the later reviews, at least) might just be a matter of individual taste.

This was the same input I got from the initial batches.....too much chlorophyll was drawing a curtain over the rest of the aromas and flavors. Is that pretty much what you're saying?

I think so. Since I do not distill absinthe myself, I'm not always on firm ground identifying individual herbals flavors and aromas when I do reviews here. That said, my reaction to batch 14 entirely centered around the "grassy" quality I mentioned.

It's a flavor, by the way, the shows up (in a small way) in a lot of absinthes I like, so I think the issue is likely one of balance. And if that is the case, letting the bottle breath for a while may indeed make a big improvement. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to describe the problem, other than to say it reminds me in some ways of a very young and "green" or "leafy" wine, and yes, the chlorophyll (if that's the source of it) is as you say "drawing a curtain" over everything else.

In every case, I've reviewed a new absinthe on initial acquisition. In most cases, my assessments have never needed to be changed, but there have been times when I've had to go back and revise a review, based on changes in the bottle over time. I'll keep an open mind and try the Leopold again after the bottle has sat for a while.

That's a very good idea. One I recommend to anyone who reviews. You'll see I go back regularly to update my reviews as tastes change and new products come to market.

As for your opinion of Leopold, it very well might just be a difference of individual taste. It also might have been due to improper storage by the distributor. You might even have a tightened sensitivity to certain herbs used. There are a couple in there that are heavier than most others available in the states. To me, that heavier use tastes great. But I can see how it might not be for everyone.

Definitely let it rest and try again though!

In every case, I've reviewed a new absinthe on initial acquisition. In most cases, my assessments have never needed to be changed, but there have been times when I've had to go back and revise a review, based on changes in the bottle over time.

All the more reason to base a review on multiple looks at a product, over some reasonable time. My experience has been that there is almost never a bigger difference in the impression of an absinthe, than there is between the tasting at initial opening, and the next tasting. I mentioned, in another thread, that I am in the process of a review of an absinthe that impresses me less every time I taste it (4 evaluations now). I am going to do a 5th tasting before posting that one, just to be sure about my impressions, and to be fair to the product and producer, and also to any readers of the review. I would especially take a hard look at any review where my impressions were well outside of mainstream opinion about a given product, just to make sure I thought those impressions were correct.

This approach also mitigates any variables in the tasters "sharpness" during any one evaluation. Lots of things effect perceptive abilities at a given time, including time of day, mood, health, weather or immediate climate, what food or beverage has been previously consumed, other aromas in the environment... the list could go on and on.