bksmithey

Leopold Bros Absinthe

I had a tiny sip [1] of Batch #8 over Labor Day weekend. Very nice sir, very nice indeed :)

SoCal folks...I was told it was acquired at BevMo, so keep your eyes open!!!

[1] my friend who offered the sip wasn't letting go of it too easily. I'll have to bust his kneecaps later.

Here in VA I've asked two different ABC stores on two different occasions in the last couple of weeks if they could order me a bottle or two of Leopold Bros. They had no idea of what I was talking about and took my number and said they'd call me when they knew something. I'm still waiting.....

I'm really interested in getting a bottle of this Absinthe but so far it's alluding me.

Here in VA I've asked two different ABC stores on two different occasions in the last couple of weeks if they could order me a bottle or two of Leopold Bros. They had no idea of what I was talking about and took my number and said they'd call me when they knew something. I'm still waiting.....

I'm really interested in getting a bottle of this Absinthe but so far it's alluding me.

I'm having the same problem here. There's a store called the Maryland Line Inn conveniently close to me. They have a lot of things you can't get here. The problem is they only have Lucid & Kübler at this time. I mentioned Leopold Bros. and a few other brands and they said they never heard of them. They also took my phone number and said they'd contact me... that was about 3 weeks ago and so far nothing.

I can't get it through Best Cellars here in PA, they don't have it on DrinkupNY, Binny's or the PA-LCB website. I'd love to try this stuff but have absolutely no way of doing so.

My apologies for the problem. We had shipped Absinthe together with our Silver Tree Vodka and Leopold's Gin to the Special Orders program some time ago. They arrived back at our distillery weeks later. There was a paperwork glitch somehow, and the Absinthe was not in their system, so the shipment was rejected.

We are resending our spirits this week to VA. When I have confirmed that it has arrived, I will post the info. here, together with a VABC catalog # for our Absinthe Verte so that you can order it at any VABC store without (I hope) any further problems.

We are in the process of registering the spirit in PA. I'll let you know when it comes through.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply leopold. I'm really looking forward to getting a bottle or two. I was starting to get discouraged. So far the local store options here are pretty dull. One of our stores only supplies Absente! ;) We need some good stuff in VA! :cheers:

I'd give my kingdom to be able to ship a bottle or two direct from the distillery. None of the State-operated distribution systems are designed with the small producer in mind....which, of course, is why said States sell mostly mid to low end corporate crap.

The people at the State of VA are nice, but they aren't really cut out to deal with the little guy.

Yeah, the laws in VA have been changed so over the last few years that it makes it a pain to purchase quality alcohol here. The VA wineries have been hit pretty hard with having to jump through hoops of red tape.

I've been asking the local stores about stocking some of the good Absinthes made here in the States with the idea that if people could try something other than Absente, they might sell more Absinthe. People buy the Absente with the intention of trying the 'forbidden' Absinthe, and then are quickly turned off by it. Who buys a second bottle of Absente? :thumbdown:

I was in the checkout line at the liquor store several months ago and the guy in front of me was buying a bottle of Absente. I asked him if he knew anything about it. He told me he's had the real stuff but was going to a wedding reception/party and didn't want to halucinate.

I was glad he was being mindful of the event. <------ sarcasm

Batch 11 is much more balanced in both color and taste over the previous batch I had. The pisco base is very evident in the nose neat, at least I guess that's what I'm smelling. A sweet grape nose I've never smelled in any other base. I tasted a dab of it on my finger pre-louche and it's evident in the taste too.

Still waiting for the VABC to process the shipment.

Absomphe....the Wash. St. Rep still hasn't returned our phone calls to get the product # for the Absinthe.

I'll keep on it, folks. My apologies.

Thanks for your efforts! It's apparent that the WASLCB drag-assing pencil pushers that my taxes help support are efficiently working to get this taken care of :dry: .

Abs is certainly not the only one here in WA that's looking forward to trying some :biggrin: . I think it's great that we've already got a bar in Seattle that's interested in serving it!

Absomphe...the Wash. St. Rep still hasn't returned our phone calls to get the product # for the Absinthe.

Why does this not surprise me? :twitchsmile:

Thanks for your continuing efforts, Todd. Somebody needs to wake up those fossils at the state liquor bored. :rolleyes: :cheers:

Well, I FINALLY got ahold of a bottle of Leopold Bros. It's batch #8 from Best Cellars and it's very tasty. Called Best Cellars Monday afternoon and received it today(Wed.) Great service! I still want to get a bottle of batch 10, but we have a winner here with batch 8! Can't wait to be able to get this locally. :cheers:

I called around to a few BevMo stores in San Jose, CA but all they had was the batch #6. If I'm not mistaken we're all the way up to batch #12 nowadays. Guess I'll have to wait it out until some other schmos buy #6 so they can restock the latest ones.....

Alright. So I am very bored at work. Anyways, here is the local SoCal availability for Leopold in BevMo:

There are 2 bottles at the Van Nuys BevMo

1 In Torrance

1 in Laguna Nigel

and 1 in Encinitas

Happy shopping.