315 replies to this topic

#271 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,723 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

I will most definitely drink to them! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#272 Sol2Sol

Sol2Sol

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Quick question...What is the most recent batch number for Leopold Bros Absinthe? I bought a bottle of Batch 18 last weekend and was just reading some reviews of batches 25 and 28. Has 18 been sitting in my local ABC store THAT long? :twitchsmile: Being that they didn't have it in the Absinthe section might be why I didn't find it until last Saturday.... It VERY good regardless of what batch it is. :cheers:

#273 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

In the 30s at least by now. I think the mini bottle I have is 30 on the dot.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#274 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

Brian's right, we're in the 30's.

As for batch #18, you have to remember that we don't number our case boxes, and I doubt that the VABC does a good job of stock rotation. In other words, the batches in the 30's could be sent out from their warehouse before the #18 and lower.

Or, that bottle could've been sitting there for quite a while (it's only a year old). I have no way of knowing.

Cheers!

#275 Sol2Sol

Sol2Sol

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Regardless of what batch it is, I'm REALLY enjoying it! :thumbup: I'll probably pick another bottle next paycheck. I'll see if they have any other Leopold offerings while I'm at it. Thanks for the info! :cheers:

#276 Big Mike

Big Mike

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I finished my bottle of batch 24 yesterday. Excellent stuff... I picked it up at Mission Spirits 1785 Washington Boulevard, Pasadena. Only bought one bottle, though. Wasn't sure if I was going to like it.
"So let them distill, so let them drink." Ben Jonson(modified)

#277 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:17 AM

I live in Colorado and just bought batch 31. It's wonderful by the way :cheers:
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#278 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

FYI, as mentioned elsewhere, we have split the Leopold reviews into two separate sections:

Batches 1-14

Batches 15+

All of the reviews that need to be moved to the '1-14' section have been notified.

As always, if it's not letting you view it, come back in about 30 minutes. It takes a while to validate the entry.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#279 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

Brian's right, we're in the 30's.

As for batch #18, you have to remember that we don't number our case boxes, and I doubt that the VABC does a good job of stock rotation.

The Vienna ABC had one bottle of Leopold on the shelf, and it was batch 18 as well. But it still was a beautiful green, so it was quite attractive. Especially given the company it was in (NV, Pernod and Grande Absente)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#280 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Batches 1-14

You are not authorised to view this resource.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#281 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:23 AM

As I said, give it about half an hour or so. It always says that for a little while when I add a new section. I guess it takes the system a little bit to validate the entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#282 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

It is now working, so I have added it and given the new title, too.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#283 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Or, that bottle could've been sitting there for quite a while (it's only a year old). I have no way of knowing.

Any old stuff just lying around gathering dust can be sent my way ;)
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#284 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Revisiting Leopold tonight. Damned tasty stuff. This was the one I used with friends at my earliest tasting parties to introduce them to a clear, quality and distinct wormwood flavor, when they were trying to ID the various elements. I'm noticing the anise is a bit more present than in my first bottle, but still a clear and delicious wormwood right up front.

Good work Todd! After so many others, Leopold's holds up, and is still one of the best.

#285 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Leopold's holds up, and is still one of the best.

Absolutely! Absinthe, gin. liqueurs, whiskeys, etc... Very tasty work.

#286 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

F'n ditto!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#287 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,732 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

I hope there will be some around at RMGH for me to try.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#288 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

Golly! I wonder if we can find something from Leopold here?

<----- :devil:

#289 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,723 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

F'n ditto!

F'n tritto!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#290 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

All I desire is one of each of their offerings. 375ml each is fine. We sipped some more of their liqueurs tonight. I love to share but I'm running low.

I may be a bit tipsy. Add slurring to my post and you may get the idea of my evening. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#291 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

Absolutely! Absinthe, gin. liqueurs, whiskeys, etc... Very tasty work.

Agree completely! My bottle of their gin has been almost completely enjoyed. Rose and I are working our way through their liqueurs (tart cherry, coffee, 3pins, cran) couldn't pick a favorite if I had to.
Picking up a bottle this weekend of their Apple Whiskey for a friends b-day (or peach, can't decide).

I haven't tried anything from them that I didn't love. Hell, my new flirting with Gin was because of their distillery tour.

Ok I'll put my pom poms down :cheers:
"The thought manifests as the word; the word manifests as the deed; the deed develops into habit; and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care, and let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings." Buddha

#292 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

I think we might have an extra bottle or two of Leopold laying around that should still be around in June. :devil:

I do so love all of the Leopold's products that I've tried...can't wait to get around to the whiskeys and a few more of the liqueurs. 3 Pins is a household staple now.

I have found that they need some time after being opened to really round out. Both the gin and the absinthe tasted different when I first opened them vs. now (about a month later.)
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#293 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Their blackberry liqueur is seriously yum as well.

#294 Ryan Nikkel

Ryan Nikkel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

I agree with Scott on that one... YUM! The French Press Coffee is amazing if you like coffee. The cranberry is a house staple (along with the Three Pins, because, wow).

I've noticed the same thing about the "rounding" with the Gin as well as the Absinthe, but more so with the Gin. I haven't done any of the whiskeys yet, but I loved them all at the tasting/ tour. My buddy is going to flip over their flavored whiskey.

I have only yet to try the Orange and the Peach liqueurs (other then the tasting) to have tried them all.

#295 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I still need to try the Orange and Peach liqueurs. Their Whiskies are serious business. Fantastic.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#296 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

I almost bought a bottle of the peach or blackberry whiskey, but because Tatan was unfamiliar with the un-flavored taste of whiskey, I opted for something a little plainer instead (Canadian style Hirsch), but they will be forthcoming.

I feel a little weird getting the French Press one because I also want to buy a bottle of Dancing Pines espresso liqueur, and because I'm not sure which one I want, I haven't bought either.

I really need to do this tasting thing of which you speak...

Website | Blog | Twitter

#297 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

After getting into some of the liqueurs last night, I noticed a couple things. First, I wasn't even aware they came in 375's. That's awesome. All of mine are 750's, but I would have certainly got the entire collection if I had seen the 375's! The second thing I noticed was how each and every one of them really capture the essence of the fruit, except for one. In my opinion, the Georgia Peach liqueur doesn't really match up. But it's still good! They're all amazing. The Tart Cherry and Blackberry are to die for.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#298 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I feel a little weird getting the French Press one because I also want to buy a bottle of Dancing Pines espresso liqueur, and because I'm not sure which one I want, I haven't bought either.

Get the Dancing Pines. They're a super nice husband and wife team, and are new to the industry. Help our industry grow, is what I say....especially the family run outfits.

BTW, the coffee we use comes from Cafe Richesse, which is a Ft. Collins roaster. Brazilian family, and superior coffee, IMHO. They just dropped off a new batch today, actually.

Ron, Peach is a PIA because it oxidizes so quickly. It tastes bright and fresh for about a week. That said, I like the oxidized flavor just as as much. Apricots, and even raisins come out in the palate and nose. But yes, you are indeed correct that it's a bit of a different animal.

We've got the Maraschino Liqueur dropping in a few weeks here. We're really happy with it.

Appreciate all the nice comments, folks.

Oh, Ryan, you're welcome to come by on your way to the Rocky Mountain thingamajig and pick up some bottles for the crew. Especially the Maraschino.

Cheers!

#299 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

I've noticed the same thing about the "rounding" with the Gin as well as the Absinthe, but more so with the Gin.

It's because I distill the Gin fractionally. It takes time for the fractions to marry, and even though I let it sit for a week after bottling, the added oxygen from opening a fresh bottle can change things a bit.

#300 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

Ooo! Is Ryan going to RMGH? Funny we should meet for the first time in a completely different state.

I've done a tasting of all the Dancing Pines stuff except because we had all been drinking, they forgot to give us a sample of the espresso liqueur, so I guess I don't know what theirs tastes like either...definitely picked up their chai liqueur, and their brulee is to DIE for.

Cannot wait for the Maraschino! I'm gonna be soaking some nice cherries in that for drinks instead of the store bought monstrosities.

I don't think I've gotten a chance to (knowingly) try the Cafe Richesse...but with so many coffee shops in Fort Collins and visiting a different place every time I go out for coffee, it's hard to keep track of who is serving what. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Website | Blog | Twitter

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association