• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

I feel like the odd man out - I was prescribed Valium after my appendectomy, but I really didn't feel much of anything with it. Then again, maybe I was the control group, unknowingly given a bottle of placebos...

Expensive placebos, at that!

Ugh. I was prescribed synthetic opiates after hernia surgery and they were awful--I guess I don't deal well with 'em. As soon as I could I switched over to ibuprophen and acetominophen.

And what the Doc said.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#32 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

I react badly to synthetic opiates as well. They make me sick to my stomach and I feel like I am going crazy. Codiene = win, hydrocodone = fail. I enjoy the heck out of sedative-hypnotics (up to a point) though. The one time I was given Valium before a minor surgery I was grooving away big time.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#33 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

All I ever felt on it was blissfully relaxed

Wasn't Valium originally developed for its muscle relaxant proprieties?
Makes sense to me.
I am the wood nymph.

#34 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Possibly. Many drugs are developed for one use, and then it is realized that they work better for another purpose. Example: Benadryl was first developed as an antipsychotic, but they found it worked better as an antihistamine.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#35 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

I react badly to synthetic opiates as well. They make me sick to my stomach and I feel like I am going crazy. Codiene = win, hydrocodone = fail. I enjoy the heck out of sedative-hypnotics (up to a point) though. The one time I was given Valium before a minor surgery I was grooving away big time.

I've had neither codiene nor valium. Won't be going out of my way for them, but good to know that, should our tolerances be similar, codiene might be tolerable for me. :cheers:

Of course, my favorite is the opium in absinthe from those barrels it is aged in! :blowup:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#36 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

but they found it worked better as an antihistamine

And most people don't even use it as an antihistamine anymore.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#37 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

True. The foggy feeling you get when on Benadryl is just a hint of what I've heard it feels like to be on an "anitpsychotic." No wonder people go off those meds so frequently. Benadryl makes my SO so agitated she wants to Kool-Aid-man (v.) through a wall.

#38 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

it ain't just for breakfast....

Codiene = win, hydrocodone = fail. I enjoy the heck out of sedative-hypnotics (up to a point) though. The one time I was given Valium before a minor surgery I was grooving away big time.

Hydrocodone makes me wacky. I had a tooth out and popped 2 of them, washing it down with a Beck's bomber, thinking it would knock me out cold. I was bouncing off the walls and had to walk the periphery of Missoula to cool out. Since then I've had a couple surgeries and nowadays I can train myself to be somewhat mellow on them but I have to make it a point to breathe and relax...or things get a bit off-leash.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#39 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Benadryl makes my SO so agitated she wants to Kool-Aid-man (v.) through a wall.

It usually just makes people sleepy! It's a very effective sleep aid. As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, Tylenol PM is just acetaminophen and benadryl.

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#40 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

You are right on, but with some people it has the effect of agitating them.

#41 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yikes!

That's pretty standard though. There is always some small percentage of users who have abnormal reactions. I absolutely LOVE the commercial for Abilify. They spend 75% of the airtime listing off some pretty serious side effects. It's seriously comical. That's one case where the cure is certainly worse than the condition.

#42 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Is that one of the antipsychotics they are now advertising for depression? Every time I see one of those ads I freak out a little inside. Those meds are nothing to mess with and not fun to be on (from what I've heard). The seemingly-casual-way they are recommended for augmentation of an SSRI that isn't working deeply concerns me.

#43 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, it's a depression med. If I remember correctly, they suggest you talk to your doctor to see if it's right for you IF you're depressed and on medication that isn't working. I wonder if I can find the commercial on youtube. It's redic. I'm sure I can find the white paper on it, but that's nowhere near as cool as listening to the narrator read off that list.

#44 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Yep. Here it is. Tell me that thing isn't crazy! Suicide as a side effect to your depression meds?

#45 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

Maybe that's because it is typically used as an antipsychotic. Those are heavy-duty meds that make you feel like you are walking through a fog. Add to that the possiblity of tardive dyskenisia and neuroleptic malignant syndrome and I'd stay as far away from that stuff as possible.

#46 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

ahhhhhhhh

this discussion of meds makes me vomiting.

I was dependent on all this bad :poop: for more than 2.5 years....

I was a living bomb with 4 meds/day, visits to a MD every two weeks and a therapist every week.

One day I decided that my MD was a total asshole and my therapist was a complete loser..... then I restored my health........

Last week in my move to my new apartment I put in the trash a full bag with more than 50 combinations of all meds..... all concentrations, all types, all sorts of prescriptions....

those mental health providers are simply mental ---- "anything a hammer sees looks like a nail"----

what solved my mental problems was to solve my personal problems......

:cheerz:

- Marcelo

#47 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

I'm getting to this thread a little late, but it makes me think of when I played with the placebo effect and a couple of underage girls.

Okay, now that that's had a moment to horrify everyone...
I was on vacation with my family in Florida a few years back, and my little sister, who was 16 at the time had brought her BFF along with her on vacation. All parental figures had gone to bed, and I stayed up late, along with my sister and her friend.

They started asking me to let them drink a little, thinking I would be the "cool" older brother who let them get away with a little rebellion. I made them virgin Mudslides, and told them there was rum in them. Sure enough, they started getting drunk. After a few, each of them was hammered, and I had to "cut them off".

The next morning, they were even acting hung over. I finally told them around dinnertime, because I didn't want them thinking that they'd really been able to casually handle four drinks a piece. At the time, they felt a little "toyed with" over it, but deep down I think my sister realized I'd been watching out for her.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#48 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

those mental health providers are simply mental ---- "anything a hammer sees looks like a nail"----

Might want to poke around the forum before making nasty comments about certain professions.

If I see you sterotype Financial Advisors with a blanket statement, I'll virtually kick you in the balls. ;) :laugh:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#49 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

But that's only because all financial advisors are overly sensitive to generalized comments about their profession. [insert emoticon of your choice here]

Edited by Green Baron, 11 April 2010 - 03:58 PM.

This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#50 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

Might want to poke around the forum before making nasty comments about certain professions.

If I see you sterotype Financial Advisors with a blanket statement, I'll virtually kick you in the balls. ;) :laugh:

I am sure that in this forum we might have MD and people involved in mental health, we may have people from all kinds of expertises for sure.... This was not personal.... this was my own feeling of being in trash for almost three years, and the only way to get out was with my own forces.... not from them, but from me... If my MD and my therapist really care about me, they should be happy to hear what I just wrote....

I usually say that I went to Hell but found the Emergency Exit when I was there....

I am sorry if somebody felt bad with my "nasty comment".... you can make jokes about engineers (in fact I know very good jokes of engineers, and nobody can say that I am joking of somebody else.....)

cheers.....

- Marcelo

#51 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

I speak with engineers and geologists every day. They each want to be the other. :wacko:

Ah, there aren't many jokes about clerks. I reckon we are mostly dull and overlooked. ;)

So I set in my office and watch dust settle. It's a hobby I can afford. Cheers!

There may be a smattering of sarcasm above. <shrug>*smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#52 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

If I see you sterotype Financial Advisors

How can we have bad feelings against people who help us to SAVE MONEY ? :worshippy:

- Marcelo

#53 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

I speak with engineers and geologists every day. They each want to be the other. :wacko:

I was reading something a week or two ago that talked about engineers and how they deserve so much more credit than they receive. One passage joked that engineers do all the work but the scientists get all the credit.

I appreciate them both. :cheers:

How can we have bad feelings against people who help us to SAVE MONEY ?

Because there are a lot of brokers masquerading around as Financial Advisors and giving us REAL F.A.s a bad name. :pirate:

But thanks. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

I have an engineer but I don't have a train. My engineer tells everyone that rain, after falling on my roof will run onto the ground and soak in. You would not believe how much my engineer gets for sharing this wisdom.

#55 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

:hysterical2: ok fellows, you asked for this.... below I have the "clean jokes" ... I also have a set of "dirty ones"...

You're An Engineer If

You and your co-workers have set out to modify the antenna on the radio in your work area for better reception.

All your sentences begin with "what if".

At Christmas, it goes without saying that you will be the one to find the burnt-out bulb in the string.

Buying flowers for your girlfriend or spending the money to upgrade your RAM is a moral dilemma.

Dilbert is your hero.

Everyone else on the Alaskan cruise is on deck peering at the scenery, and you are still on a personal tour of the engine room.

In college you thought Spring Break was a metal fatigue failure.

On vacation, you are reading a computer manual and turning the pages faster than someone else who is reading a John Grisham novel.

People groan at the party when you pick out the music.

The blinking 12:00 on someone's VCR draws you in like a tractor beam to fix it.

The only jokes you receive are through e-mail.

The salespeople at Circuit City can't answer any of your questions.

The thought that a CD could refer to finance or music never enters your mind.

You are always late to meetings.

You are at an air show and know how fast the skydivers are falling.

You are aware that computers are actually only good for playing games, but are afraid to say so out loud.

You are convinced you can build a phazer from your garage door opener and your camera's flash attachment.

You are currently gathering the components to build your own nuclear reactor.

You are next in line on death row in a French prison and you find that the guillotine is not working properly so you offer to fix it.

You are still drinking Mr. Pibb.

You are wine tasting and find yourself paying more attention to the cork screws than the '84 Chardonnay.

You bought your wife a new CD ROM for her birthday.

You bought your wife's valentine gift at orchard supply.

You can name at least six Star Trek episodes.

You can type 70 words a minute but can't read your own handwriting.

You can understand anything Al Gore says.

You can't remember where you parked your car for the 3rd time this week.

You can't write unless the paper has both horizontal and vertical lines.

You carry a list for everything except the groceries.

You carry on a one-hour debate over the expected results of a test that actually takes five minutes to run.

You comment to your wife that her straight hair is nice and parallel You disdain people who use low baud rates.

You do Darth Vader or Battlestar Gallactica impersonations by talking into a spinning fan.

You drive a gremlin with a "Beam me up Scotty" bumper sticker.

You ever burned down the gymnasium with your science fair project You ever forgot to get a haircut ... for 6 months.

You find yourself at the airport on your vacation studying the baggage handling equipment.

You go on the rides at Disneyland and sit backwards in the chairs to see how they do the special effects.

You have "Dilbert" comics displayed anywhere in your work area.

You have a functioning home copier machine, but every toaster you own turns bread into charcoal.

You have a habit of destroying things in order to see how they work.

You have ever debated who was a better captain: Kirk or Piccard.

You have ever owned a calculator with no equals key and know what RPN stands for.

You have ever purchased an electronic appliance "as-is".

You have ever saved the power cord from a broken appliance.

You have ever taken the back off your TV just to see what's inside.

You have introduced your kids by the wrong name.

You have memorized the Discovery Channel program schedule but have seen most of the shows already.

You have modified your can opener to be microprocessor driven.

You have more friends on the Internet than in real life.

You have never backed up your hard drive.

You have never bought any new underwear or socks for yourself since you got married.

You have used coat hangers and duct tape for something other than hanging coats and taping ducts.

You introduce your wife/husband as "mylady@home.wife/husband".

You just don't have the heart to throw away the 100-in-1 electronics kit you got for your ninth birthday.

You know how to take the cover off your computer, and what size screwdriver to use.

You know the altitude limits for turning on and off electronic equipment on commercial flights.

You know the direction the water swirls when you flush.

You know what http:// stands for.

You look forward to Christmas only to put together the kids' toys You need a checklist to turn on the TV.

You order pizza over the Internet and pay for it through your home banking software.

You own one or more white short-sleeve dress shirts.

You rearrange the dishwasher to maximize the packing factor.

You remember half a dozen passwords and your ten-digit Compuserve address, but you have to call your niece "kiddo".

You rotate your screen savers more frequently than your automobile tires.

You see a good design and still have to change it.

You spend more time on your home computer than in your car.

You spent more on your calculator than on your wedding ring.

You still own a slide rule and you know how to work it.

You talk about the high resolution and picture-in-picture capability of your big screen TV while everybody is watching the Superbowl.

You talk about trellis code modulation at parties.

You think a pocket protector is a fashion accessory.

You think of the gadgets in your office as "friends," but you forget to send your father a birthday card.

You think Sales and Marketing are Satan's children.

You think that when people around you yawn, it's because they didn't get enough sleep.

You think your computer looks better without the cover.

You thought the contraption ET used to phone home was stupid.

You thought the real heroes of "Apollo 13" were the mission controllers.

You use a CAD package to design your son's Pine Wood Derby car.

You walk around with your hands in your two front pockets 99% of the time.

You want an 24X CD ROM for Christmas.

You wear black socks with white tennis shoes (or vice versa).

You window shop at Radio Shack.

You would rather get more dots per inch than miles per gallon.

You've ever tried to repair a $5 radio.

Your four basic food groups are: 1. Caffeine, 2. Fat, 3. Sugar, 4. Chocolate.

Your checkbook always balances.

Your dress clothes come from Sears.

Your favorite actor is R2D2.

Your favorite character on Gilligan's Island was "The Professor".

Your favorite James Bond character is "Q," the guy who makes the gadgets.

Your favorite place in San Francisco is the Exploratorium.

Your favorite television show is New Yankee Workshop.

Your girlfriend says the way you dress is no reflection on her.

Your idea of a "good read" is the Edmund Scientific catalog.

Your idea of good interpersonal communication means getting the decimal point in the right place.

Your ideal evening consists of fast-forwarding through the latest.

Your IQ is a higher number than your weight.

Your kids refer to you as The Man Who Sleeps with Mommy.

Your laptop computer costs more than your car.

Your spouse sends you an email instead of calling you to dinner.

Your three-year-old son asks why the sky is blue and you try to explain atmospheric absorption theory.

Your wardrobe looks like you shop at Goodwill Industries.

Your wife hasn't the foggiest idea what you do at work.

Your wife thinks your taste in ties is bizarre.

Your wristwatch has more buttons than a telephone.

#56 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,598 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

Too many werdz.™ :laugh: ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#57 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Suicide as a side effect to your depression meds?

Yup, it's actually relatively common to see it listed as a side-effect for antidepressants. I dunno if it's because if the med doesn't work well with the person's chemistry it can increase suicidal ideation, or that the med just might not work at all and the producer is "covering all their bases."

#58 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Did you watch that commercial though?! Close your eyes and just listen to that list of possible side effects and tell me that the cure isn't worse than the condition.

#59 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Oh yes--I've seen it. I'm not a fan of how glib those commercials can be. Depends on the level of severity--for someone with mild to moderate depression, I'd hope they'd never have to take that drug, though someone with severe clinical depression should probably consider something like ECT. Which leads me to say, "no sir, I don't like it."

#60 absinthejack

absinthejack

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:31 AM

I'd be afraid to take that stuff.
LIFE.............is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association