1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
salt to taste
black pepper
hot sauce (optional)

How to prepare feijoada:

Soak beans overnight in large container. Next morning, cook beans for 4-5 hours at low heat. Place ham hocks, chorizo, ribs and Canadian bacon in deep pan with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Change water and bring to a new boil, repeating the procedure at least three times to tenderize cured meats and remove excess fat.

In a large frying pan sauté onion and garlic using either vegetable or olive oil (smoked bacon strips optional) for two or three minutes. Toss in cubed pork and beef. Sauté an additional two-three minutes.

Mash 5-l0 tablespoons of beans and add to large pot. The resulting paste will thicken sauce. Add two tablespoons of olive oil, three garlic cloves all chopped-up or mashed, along with a tablespoon of white vinegar and a teaspoon of red-hot pepper. Stir, heat over medium fire for two-three minutes, then transfer to contents of frying pan. (You may use two frying pans, if necessary)

Let simmer for l0-l5 minutes. Add contents of frying pan(s) to the beans and let boil at medium heat for 1-2 hours.

Serve over rice, with additional red-hot sauce, if desired.
=================================================

I made a feijoada for 50 people last October/2010...... I worked from 8 am to 4 pm..... but it was really nice...

there are two videos to take a look :

how to prepare feijoada - the guy is explaining in English

how to prepare feijoada - the cook is speaking Portuguese

and now one of my favorite poet and singer Chico Buarque.... singing "Feijoada Completa" where he tells his wife that he is bringing a lot of friends on the last minute to eat her feijoada, the music gives all the recipe of this dish....Chico Buarque sings "Feijoada Completa"

Ah..... for a feijoada you start drinking a "caipirinha" before in order to open your apetite.... and then during the feijoada you can drink beer..... Please, no wine for this food !!! :bguitar:

#2 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Sounds good. Seems like I hear a lot lately about Brazilian food and drinks.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#3 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Sounds good. Seems like I hear a lot lately about Brazilian food and drinks.

well..... this is something that I can share with you, since I am learning so much about absinthe.........

cheers,

- Marcelo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association