Sign in to follow this  
Pierre

Rustic Absinth

Hello everyone. Here is a pretty "special" bottle of Absinth (which is nowhere near as good as absinthe). I have never seen this bottle anywhere on this site (thankfully), so I decided to post it. I got this as a gift from my girlfriend when she went down to Mexico on vacation last year. As you can see this rustic absinth doesn't not only has improper capitalization but if you look close you can see there is a trademark next to the word "absinth", not sure how they trademarked that. AND this has been made since 1518- wow.

If this wasn't good enough they packed the bottle with wormwood- so it only gets better with age presumably. There is a website on the back of the bottle (www.absinth.com.mx) but it has nothing to do with this absinth. I don't read Spanish, but I do see produced in the Republica Checha on the back, wonder what that means?

And they're all about an accurate history, too!

Extensive myths in Internet that could not have been corroborated by the students of the history of the Absinth count the anecdote of a doctor of name Pierre Ordinaire that by the end of the XVIII Century prescribed to its patients a remedy called "Elixir of Absinth" with wormwood, and that to its death and after a series of cessions of the discovery it arrived at hands of an industrialist of name Dubied that had had the vision to sell the elixir in the stores of liquors instead of in the pharmacies, but what is certain it is that the Absinth was already produced several centuries ago in the Czech territory, which in that then it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

@Joe... Exactly. Odd how they both talk about the "history", if you call it that, of the 18th century and the bottle says made since 1518. Note: The wax seal has 1518 on it as well.

@accountant- Yeah, it is horrible to get a really bad bottle from your girlfriend and have to drink it in front of her. It's the thought that counts right? It goes without saying- she does not drink absinthe.

Yeah, it is horrible to get a really bad bottle from your girlfriend and have to drink it in front of her. It's the thought that counts right?

You're absolutely right. It is the thought that counts, especially in this case, when the actual stuff is vile. Give her a kiss, and tell her you'll cherish the bottle and its contents forever. Then put it away in a safe place and take it out every once in a while to remind yourself of the effort she made on your behalf. :cheers:

Dude....pour it down the drain, fill the bottle with something you like, then drink it in front of here every so often saying."I'm glad you got this, I wanted to try one bottle of it before exploring other firsts!" Then share a few names, only two or three....this way, 2 will stick with her, then she'll get you something you can KEEP in it's own bottle! :pirate: If only I could use my powers for good......

Doc is right. Put it on display someplace special and let it sit.

If you fill the bottle up with some thing else then she will think you like it and get you another bottle. And do you really want that?

While the idea and psychology behind that is pretty solid sbmac, the problem is if I sink it I have to keep the wormwood in it or it would be a dead giveaway. What I do is occasionally sink just a little so it looks like it is being drank.

Sometimes for fun, if I am having people over and someone brings a friend who is what some may call an asshole I will ask him if he wants to try absinthe and make him one with this. Don't worry... I let him try some real stuff after.

Yep, very lucky. I think it should be noted that I was able to drink half a glass so she thought I liked it. It was a test.

If anyone wants to trade samples you can send me dishwater or mouthwash that has been used by a homeless man in return for some of this absinth (save the e for later).

I know the thought counts thing too well.

But on the other hand I did not have to shell out $$$$ on a product that was historically infamous.

Picture.jpg

Edited by mattsback

I'll see your Hill's and raise you a Pere Kerman (a gift from my brother in law) and a Logan Fils (a gift from my sister).

I guess it makes us appreciate the good stuff more though.

I wouldn't mess with that stuff Brian. It has skulls on it and it evidently has a lot of thujone as well. I hear that stuff is what "real" absinthe has and it makes you trip. Come to think of it I am sure this rustic absinth is chock full of thujone... but how much I will never know.

I just opened the bottle for the first time in months and was again taken aback by the "cleaner" smell of this stuff.

The fact that people buy into the absinthe misinformation wouldn't be so disturbing if the facts weren't so easy to find on so many good websites (The Wormwood Society obviously being my favorite). People need to do a minimal about of reading other than an advertisement sometime.

On a another note: since this rustic absinthe has been made since 1518 would anyone want to trade a sample of a pre-ban for a sample of it?

Hello. Anyone :mellow:

Edited by Pierre

Marteau's formula approval (new distillery = new paperwork) got rejected last week because it contains too much thujone. True fact.

Oh, for crying out loud...

What happened? Was this a bureaucratic error, or is something else afoot?