Rustic Absinth

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hello everyone. Here is a pretty "special" bottle of Absinth (which is nowhere near as good as absinthe). I have never seen this bottle anywhere on this site (thankfully), so I decided to post it. I got this as a gift from my girlfriend when she went down to Mexico on vacation last year. As you can see this rustic absinth doesn't not only has improper capitalization but if you look close you can see there is a trademark next to the word "absinth", not sure how they trademarked that. AND this has been made since 1518- wow.

If this wasn't good enough they packed the bottle with wormwood- so it only gets better with age presumably. There is a website on the back of the bottle (www.absinth.com.mx) but it has nothing to do with this absinth. I don't read Spanish, but I do see produced in the Republica Checha on the back, wonder what that means?

#2 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Whoops... forgot the pic.

Attached File  new.jpg   35.75K   20 downloads

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,895 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

And they're all about an accurate history, too!

Extensive myths in Internet that could not have been corroborated by the students of the history of the Absinth count the anecdote of a doctor of name Pierre Ordinaire that by the end of the XVIII Century prescribed to its patients a remedy called "Elixir of Absinth" with wormwood, and that to its death and after a series of cessions of the discovery it arrived at hands of an industrialist of name Dubied that had had the vision to sell the elixir in the stores of liquors instead of in the pharmacies, but what is certain it is that the Absinth was already produced several centuries ago in the Czech territory, which in that then it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

#4 accountant

accountant

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Is she trying to kill you? :)
hmm that's a tasty hamburger!

#5 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

@Joe... Exactly. Odd how they both talk about the "history", if you call it that, of the 18th century and the bottle says made since 1518. Note: The wax seal has 1518 on it as well.

@accountant- Yeah, it is horrible to get a really bad bottle from your girlfriend and have to drink it in front of her. It's the thought that counts right? It goes without saying- she does not drink absinthe.

#6 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Why, I'm sure it's quite delicious... ;)
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#7 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, it is horrible to get a really bad bottle from your girlfriend and have to drink it in front of her. It's the thought that counts right?

You're absolutely right. It is the thought that counts, especially in this case, when the actual stuff is vile. Give her a kiss, and tell her you'll cherish the bottle and its contents forever. Then put it away in a safe place and take it out every once in a while to remind yourself of the effort she made on your behalf. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#8 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Dude....pour it down the drain, fill the bottle with something you like, then drink it in front of here every so often saying."I'm glad you got this, I wanted to try one bottle of it before exploring other firsts!" Then share a few names, only two or three....this way, 2 will stick with her, then she'll get you something you can KEEP in it's own bottle! :pirate: If only I could use my powers for good......
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#9 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

Doc is right. Put it on display someplace special and let it sit.
If you fill the bottle up with some thing else then she will think you like it and get you another bottle. And do you really want that?
I am the wood nymph.

#10 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

While the idea and psychology behind that is pretty solid sbmac, the problem is if I sink it I have to keep the wormwood in it or it would be a dead giveaway. What I do is occasionally sink just a little so it looks like it is being drank.

Sometimes for fun, if I am having people over and someone brings a friend who is what some may call an asshole I will ask him if he wants to try absinthe and make him one with this. Don't worry... I let him try some real stuff after.

#11 accountant

accountant

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

I know exactly how you feel Pierre. My fiance has bought me crap absinthe in the past. ha ha It's the thought that counts.
hmm that's a tasty hamburger!

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:55 AM

Looks to me like re-labelled King of Spirits Gold.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,414 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

That means it's almost certainly "better" than King of Spirits.

Lucky Pierre. :twitchsmile:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#14 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

Yep, very lucky. I think it should be noted that I was able to drink half a glass so she thought I liked it. It was a test.

If anyone wants to trade samples you can send me dishwater or mouthwash that has been used by a homeless man in return for some of this absinth (save the e for later).

#15 mattsback

mattsback

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I know the thought counts thing too well.
But on the other hand I did not have to shell out $$$$ on a product that was historically infamous.

Posted Image

Edited by mattsback, 06 April 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#16 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'll see your Hill's and raise you a Pere Kerman (a gift from my brother in law) and a Logan Fils (a gift from my sister).

I guess it makes us appreciate the good stuff more though.

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

Oh yeah? Mike from Alandia just sent me a bottle of Gothika. I'm assuming it was an April Fool's joke. :pirate:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

It's obviously the realest of absinthes, because it has Van Gogh's picture on it!
Life is moist and stinky

#19 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

I wouldn't mess with that stuff Brian. It has skulls on it and it evidently has a lot of thujone as well. I hear that stuff is what "real" absinthe has and it makes you trip. Come to think of it I am sure this rustic absinth is chock full of thujone... but how much I will never know.

I just opened the bottle for the first time in months and was again taken aback by the "cleaner" smell of this stuff.

#20 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Marteau's formula approval (new distillery = new paperwork) got rejected last week because it contains too much thujone. True fact.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#21 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

The fact that people buy into the absinthe misinformation wouldn't be so disturbing if the facts weren't so easy to find on so many good websites (The Wormwood Society obviously being my favorite). People need to do a minimal about of reading other than an advertisement sometime.

On a another note: since this rustic absinthe has been made since 1518 would anyone want to trade a sample of a pre-ban for a sample of it?

Hello. Anyone :mellow:

Edited by Pierre, 06 April 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#22 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Marteau's formula approval (new distillery = new paperwork) got rejected last week because it contains too much thujone. True fact.

Oh, for crying out loud...

What happened? Was this a bureaucratic error, or is something else afoot?
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association