mgs

Cachaça made in USA like in Brazil

There is a US made cachaça of very good quality, Leblon, the name of a famous beach in Rio de Janeiro.... Look at the link here Leblon Cachaça

saúde !

- Marcelo

Leblon was the only Cachaca I found in my local PA W&S, so it is the bottle I keep on hand for drinks that require it. I don't have much experience with cachaca, but it is very enjoyable for what it is.

Some girls I was out with last week dragged me into some sports/frat/shots bar for a last drink of the night. I knew better than to try ordering a real drink, but I saw muddlers behind the bar, so I asked for a Mojito, since I figured that would be familiar to whoever was behind the bar.

The bartender says "Okay if I use LeBlon?"

"Ummm, well it ain't rum, but what the hell.."

Then she says "And I don't have any mint, so it'll just be lime."

"Umm, okay, so it's going to be a Caipirinha, that's fine."

"A what?"

"A Caipirinha. It's like a Mojito, but made with cachaça and no mint."

"Oh, aren't we clever? You want the drink or not?"

I wanted to tell her exactly what she could do with her Caipirinha and her lousy attitude, but I was with friends, so I just said "No, thanks" and let her get on with the important business of pouring more Jäger shots...

I had a similar experience a few years ago. Asked for a Cuba Libre, she didn't understand, then when I explained it, she said: "So, why didn't you ask for a rum and Coke?"

Wild Bill : probably the girl would not even know how to make the right caipirinha anyway with her attitude....

and as "Cuba Libre" ----- ah------ that was my "first drink" when I used to go to "discotheque dancing" in the 70's..... it was so COOL to have a Cuba Libre during the break time of dancing.......

now I will try something... I want to write "laughing out loud " but this website converts that to something really strange,, but funny : Luscious Oily Lesbians!

- Marcelo

Marcelo, there are other word replacements too. They're like easter eggs!

Marcelo, there are other word replacements too. They're like easter eggs!

AH AH---- now you made me curious with the easter eggs..... so I have to try here :

(sorry if I am off topic, but I went to sleep and thought on these replacements and came back to the computer)

:puke:

BRB

WTF

XOXO

ZZZ

TBA

TC

LMK

IMO

IMHO

GTG

ASAP

AOL

ok..... that is all.... let's see the "Pandora Box" when I post......

good night,

- Marcelo

nothing happened !

ok ... you got me in a late April 1st joke....

now I can sleep...

- Marcelo

LMAO: "Lemmings Might Attack Ontario!"

LMFAO: "Like My Freaky Armadillo Outfit?"

LMAO: "Lemmings Might Attack Ontario!"

LMFAO: "Like My Freaky Armadillo Outfit?"

Luscious Oily Lesbians! => I like this one......

WTF could be "Wheeling Thou Fortune"

Edited by mgs

I want to talk about something that people do not realize the importance when making caipirinha the type of the lime.

In Brazil we have many types of limes, and the lime that is best for caipirinha is called in Portuguese by

limão galego

The "limão galego" (Citrus aurantifolia), of Indian origin, is a variant of the common lime (Citrus limonum). The tree is very simliar, but the fruit (limão galego) is not so acid, and the taste is a between "limão" (lime) and "lima" (in Brazil there is a fruit called lima, which is not a lime, not an orange, it is a kind of sweet lime.....)

So, the limão galego is between a regular lime and the "brazilian lima" (the scientific name for lima is Citrus Limetta).

so..... the RIGHT lime for caipirinha is limão galego (Citrus aurantifolia)

I can assure you that a caipirinha made with limão galego is a blast.

however, I NEVER found limão galego in USA.... the limes are always the same, so I basically buy organic limes to support local producers....

- Marcelo

And you have to cut the limes the right way too.

By the way, Marcelo, did you ever make the Clandestine Caipi? Maybe I missed it here somewhere ..

I want to talk about something that people do not realize the importance when making caipirinha the type of the lime.

I think you'll find that many of us here are cocktail afficionados who realize that the specific ingredients are key to making the proper cocktail. Hence the reason Dr. Cocktail wrote his book about lost ingredients, why Drinkboy maintains his site and his SSN show, and why many of said ingredients are finally being produced again, quite a few by eas, another member.

however, I NEVER found limão galego in USA....

Look harder. ;)

They are available at most supermarkets.

Alan, I purchased La Clandestine specially after your recommendation for absinthe caipirinha... I will probably try this weekend... I have been busy with my Capoeira fights in the last few weeks...... I will report my experience in a few days....

Brian, ok, you are saying that limão galego is available ? Ten years in Denver area and I never saw it.....in Whole Foods there is a small organic lime, which is the one that I like.... but does not taste like the limão galego that I know....

and talking about cutting the lime, this youtube video shows the way that I also cut the lime (I remove the white stuff to get less bitter):

Saúde !

- Marcelo

Got Key Limes tonight...... :yahoo: ...... so I finally found "limão galego" here...

you made my life to have another meaning now ! :worshippy: Luscious Oily Lesbians!

saúde....

- Marcelo

My stylist at the Grooming Lounge just told me today that she picked up a bottle of Cachaca for me when she went back to her homeland of Rio two weeks ago. She didn't tell me the brand, as she wanted to keep it a surprise. Next time I go in for a cut or shave, I'll be picking it up!

I'll keep y'all informed!

Today I puchased rhum agricole blanc La Favorite from Martinique..... first time in my life...

1) it smells like Cachaça (very good smell)

2) drinking it straight is same taste and feeling of a Cachaça

3) I also made a Caipirinha, and it is a refreshing one, like a very good caipirinha made out of Cachaça...

So.... although I am not an expert in distillation, my feeling is that this rhum agricole is same thing as cachaça....

But, as a scientist, I do not want to draw conclusions from only one isolate experiment...

Please share your thoughts,

However, a rhum agricole seems to be more expensive than cachaça

Cheers,

- Marcelo

It's always been my belief that they were made in similar fashions. The price disparity might come simply from the 'familiarity' quotient. I.e. people will pay more for fancifully named rum than for a similar product that they've never heard of.

I just purchased the cachaça Boca Loca for a party. It seems a good brand.

I remember something ! When I was in College I used to buy cachaça from distilleries far from São Paulo, then sell in the bars and restaurants close to my university. It was a way for me to make some money. During that time I learned from my Chemistry professor that we could use "carvão ativo" (activated carbon, or activated charcoal) leave in the cachaça bottle for a couple of weeks. The charcoal would provide "adsorption" which is the attraction of impurities and the cachaça would taste much better !

I used to make that myself and sell that booze as "cachaça ativada" ..... people liked a lot. I need to find a similar "activated charcoal" in USA to make something similar (this charcoal is usually inside filters, but I don't know where to buy it "loose" so we can place it in the booze and then just remove it after a few weeks.

Cheers,

- Marcelo

Ahem.

I don't know what they use but a former coworker of mine ran some cheap vodka through one a few times on a camping trip and ended up sleeping outside in the dirt on account of it making the vodka..."a little too smooth".