Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hallenius

TimeOut New York Falls for the "Make Your Own" Ruse

I caught an absinthe reference on my Twitter feed today, inviting me to read an article in Time Out New York about making your own absinthe at home. When I popped over to the article, my worst fears were confirmed: a puff piece about wormwood tisanes masquerading as absinthe:

The Madagascar Institute (madagascarinstitute.com) is an art combine that was founded in 1999 by Brooklyn artists Chris Hackett, Eric Singer and Ryan O’Connor, who want to help people get creative, get dirty and build outrageous things. With that in mind, the Institute offers classes as eclectic as the contents of its backyard. “Make Your Own Absinthe” ($55) is a two-part series during which Lis Chere, a horticulturist and class coordinator for the Institute, teaches students to brew their own batch of the Green Fairy.

Frankly, this article just seemed like a review of the local community college's catalog of "continuing education" classes. Fortunately, Brian managed to get to the article before I did, debunking both another commenter and the very process of "making your own" in his two comments.

For those of you with spare time, here's the full article link:

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/own-th...ascar-institute