Sign in to follow this  
mgs

cooking with absinthe

I like to try different food and cuisines. I read some recipes on the Internet using absinthe..... I know several recipes with wine, cognac, sake, beer..... but never tried anything with absinthe.

Does anyone have a take in what is really to add absinthe to a dish ? Does it eventually become an "anis liked" taste ?

Which food would you recommend that really stress the flavor of absinthe and make a very good and delicate dish ?

Thanks for your information on this subject.

Of course I would rather not use expensive absinthe for cooking..... your feedback is also appreciated.... so "bad absinthe" should be used for cooking ?

- Marceo

The famous Cajun cook Justin Wilson always said one should never cook with a wine one would not drink. I'm sure what that means is use a decent wine (not the very best and most costly) to maintain a certain standard, and I'm sure the same applies to cooking with any spirit, to include absinthe.

Anyway, there are few true absinthes out there that are not somewhat costly...even the ones I don't much care for still cost a fair penny.

Using absinthe in cooking is quite common. There are many recipes which call for Pernod specifically. Also, many many recipes call for anise (usually star anise), including classic recipes.

The trick is to not overdo the absinthe. Clearly it's a potent spirit. If you're using it in a pan, make sure you cook it long enough to remove the alcohol content. If you're using flame, obviously be careful with it. There are many recipes and cooking techniques that will use flame to burn off much of the alcohol in the pan. It's not necessary, and usually safer to just simmer it off.

As far as what to use absinthe with, look in this cookbook section. I've listed a couple dishes myself, and I know others have. I think generally you'll find it goes well with fish and seafood. I think it could go well with any dishes or meats that can also use flavors like allspice. Pork, for instance, would probably benefit nicely from a little absinthe creativity. I think I did a pork dish which was crusted with allspice and fennel. I know many sauces call for star anise, so it's entirely possible to substitute absinthe into those recipes.

When choosing which absinthe to use for cooking, keep in mind the flavor of that absinthe. If it's much more wormwood forward, then use that bitterness as a contrast to a sweet dish. If it's a more anise forward profile, perhaps use it with something spicy, like a good curry.

Again, the anise flavor is not new in the kitchen, but it is uncommon for many American dishes.

I believe the current issue of Mutineer has a few recipes for cooking with absinthe... I was considering trying some of them out - but I enjoy drinking it too much to use it up cooking!

There were some rumors floating around about an absinthe cookbook...if memory serves me right.

If it's a more anise forward profile, perhaps use it with something spicy, like a good curry.

Damn cannibals.

just bought some supplies to prepare a fish with absinthe in the next few days.... with a little bit of curry as well....

cheers,

- Marcelo

I believe the current issue of Mutineer has a few recipes for cooking with absinthe... I was considering trying some of them out - but I enjoy drinking it too much to use it up cooking!

You're right. The current issue of Mutineer Magazine has an article called Cooking with Absinthe. It has a few recipes, to include absinthe sauteed olives, absinthe seafood fettuccini, and absinthe cupcakes.

Without buying the new issue, here's a freebie recipe for absinthe and fennel soup :)

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/blog/2010/...nd-fennel-soup/

A chef friend and I worked together to perfect a recipe that involved pork loin, fennel seeds, and rosemary, with an absinthe and sugar glaze. It turned out quite delicious. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

A chef friend and I worked together to perfect a recipe that involved pork loin, fennel seeds, and rosemary, with an absinthe and sugar glaze. It turned out quite delicious. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

I will love to try this recipe.......... looking forward for that.....

cheers,

- Marcelo

There are some really great recipes in the cooking thread here, that is true. Right now I am in the process of compiling them along with a some other recipes into the WS Cookbook, which will be finalized and ready for print as soon as I finish my masters this month and can get back to finalizing the cookbook ;) Semi-bump, but I’ll make an announcement when it’s ready for your kitchen shelves.