hauntedoaks

Greetings from Michigan

Hello everyone! Here is my absinthe story.....

I first tried absinthe in July of last year when a friend of mine mentioned that he had some at a tappas bar the night before. I quickly went to the liquor store and asked what they had. They had Lucid and Pernod aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe in the refrigerator behind the counter. The guy told me that Pernod was the best so I shelled out the $75 and was super excited to try it. I then went online to find out the best way to drink it. I should have done this in reverse order but you live and learn. I bought a spoon online and some Domino sugar cubes from Walmart. I first tried to pour the water on the sugar cube and found that the cube wouldn't melt so I had read that burning the sugar works and I tried that. Luckily I wasn't scared away by the taste. I shared about 3/4 of the bottle with friends that weekend and wanted to find out more info.

It was then that I stumbled across this site and found out that there were other brands available in the U.S. I learned of DUNY and went nuts! I now own two fountains from absinthedevil.com: one plain glass fountain with two robinettes and one metal and glass fairy fountain with four robinettes. I have a half dozen spoons, 4 glasses, two bags of sugar cubes from absinthedevil, and a lot of half empty bottles! Here is my current absinthe collection (in no particular order):

Walton Waters

Meadow of Love (2 bottles, one is empty!)

Mansinthe (2 bottles, one is empty!)

La Clandestine

La Charlotte (2 bottles)

Obsello

Versinthe

Jade Nouvelle-Orleans (My girlfriend just got me this for my birthday!) :heart:

Pernod aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe

Le' Tourment

Vieux Pontarlier

Kübler 53

Vieux Carre

Grand Absente (100ml bottle, that is all I will ever own of this one)

Lucid (I bought the gift set with the glasses, I love the glasses)

As you can tell, I don't do anything half-ass! My girlfriend's favorites are Meadow, Mansinthe, and Jade (of course!). My favorites are really all of them except Grand Absente and the Versinthe. I had Versinthe at the Commune Lounge in Royal Oak MI and I loved it. I bought a bottle and I hate it. I was going to use it to make sazerac cocktails but I have to find the right rye. I hate Le' Tourment from the fountain but I love making Colonial Rots with it. If you have a bottle you want to get rid of, try this: 1 shot Le Tourment

1 shot Grey Goose Citron

2 shots Mojito Mix (or 3/4 shot lime juice and 1 shot simple syrup)

Shake these on ice and pour into a glass with ice and mint leaves

Top with Simply Lemonade and a splash of 7-up

Two of these and you will be glad you had that Le' Tourment hanging around!

The bottom line is that I absolutely love absinthe and I love to talk so I am looking forward to joining some discussions on this forum.

You learn fast.

Matches and LTV go great together! I use them to light camp fires so I can see my absinthe better. ;)

Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

It sounds like you're learning much! Welcome! :cheers:

For my part, there isn't a thing in the world, other than the toilet, that I would put LTV in. And certainly nothing that would make me buy a bottle. Pernod has one or two fans, but I only use mine for cooking. You already know about Grand Absente. Finish off that Versinthe and you've got a pretty stellar looking collection!

I hate Le' Tourment from the fountain

I think most people would consider that a good sign...welcome to the Wormwood Society.

:cheers:

They had Lucid and Pernod aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe in the refrigerator behind the counter.

I wonder who gave them that brilliant idea. Welcome! :cheers: