5 replies to this topic

#1 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:59 PM

I am really surprised.

After I started drinking absinthe and learning that "wormwood" is the plant that is essential for making absinthe I started to think "what the heck" is this "wormwood".... Since I don't know botanics, I started to read and eventually today I found out that in Brazil this "wormwood" is called Losna.

So... I remember that my grandmother used to talk about a lot of tea made of losna, infusion, and many therapeutic uses.... I believe that my grandma used this tea of "losna" for menstrual colic...

I found an article on Internet about Losna (in Portuguese) click here Losna - Portuguese word for Wormwood

So.... my grandmother had Losna in her garden when I was a kid. Therefore, this plant grows in Brazil..... and not only on the mountains of Switzerland as people like to claim.... it is pretty much a "weed that people used for therapeutic reasons..."

Probably Braziian people today do not even know about this, because "chá de losna" is something so old as my grandmother would be if her was alive.... (ah... I miss my grandma for sure....)

- Marcelo

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,172 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

Therefore, this plant grows in Brazil..... and not only on the mountains of Switzerland as people like to claim

Ahhhh, it grows in the states very well. I seem to recall an article somewhere that mentioned wormwood was a nuisance plant in Colorado and the state was going to wage war on it. It's a foggy memory but still....... :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:22 AM

Isn't that just like Colorado?
In Montana, they hold it in high esteem. Some folks even name roads after it.

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

:laf:

So.... my grandmother had Losna in her garden when I was a kid. Therefore, this plant grows in Brazil..... and not only on the mountains of Switzerland as people like to claim.... it is pretty much a "weed that people used for therapeutic reasons..."

I don't recall ever seeing anyone making such a claim, but in any case it would be ridiculous, absinthium grows all over the world.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#5 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

:laf:

I don't recall ever seeing anyone making such a claim, but in any case it would be ridiculous, absinthium grows all over the world.

well.... maybe I just did not know exactly what was this plant, now that I know that is the "brazilian losna" I know what it is............ I am a very recent addicted to absinthe (less than 2 years), so I am still learning...

but I do recall reading in a website about wormwood saying that it grows in altitude and bla-bla..... it grows everywhere... it is "a weed"....

have a great weekend.... I just moved to an apartment in Denver, and I am still trying to find my box with my absinthe bottles....

- Marcelo

Edited by mgs, 04 April 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#6 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

I understand, Marcelo. I had only been drinking absinthe a couple of years, not knowing Wormwood from wood worms. While studying an herb book, I walked outside to discover Wormwood growing less than 20 feet from my front door.

Then my life became really screwed-up. :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association