Sign in to follow this  
luchog

Wired article on Ted Breaux and Absinthe

Yeah. I think there is some confusing by the Bar tenders, how much is on purpose by absente I don't know. They call it "absinthe refined" right on the bottle so I could see the rep repeating this and the bar tender thinking, "Ok, so it's absinthe."

Meow Mix is now called Vasmay Lounge.  I thought it was a Lesbian bar, though maybe since the name changed the clientele has changed too and made it less exclusive.  My friend Tom didn't realize that and went there once and got the evil eye.

Someone also told me this club Opaline sold real absinthe, but I'm pretty sure it's BS just like all the other claims are.  For what it's worth, you can go to Provence, which is a French Restaurant in SoHo (wife and I had our wedding there), and you can bring your own absinthe and they'll even give you a nice Versinthe fountain to use.  They have a great wine and pastis selection too, and the food is spectacular.

um...since my friend manages the vasmay lounge....I was trying to avoid posting the name of the place without her permission :wacko:

Vasmay is NOT a lesbian bar. Meow Mix was. Brooke, who ran Meow Mix, ran the place into the ground, spent her lover's inheritance keeping it afloat, bailed on many of her East Village friends, opened a new bar in Brooklyn that is doing very well and she now bad mouths the east village crew she used to be so close with...IN PRINT INTERVIEWS! I didn't know her well, but I always liked her.

Opaline is owned by the same guy that owns Vasmay, THe Library, Doc Holiday's, Nice Guy Eddie's and another bar or two on avenue A (never play monopoly against him). I guarantee you that Opaline DOES NOT serve absinthe. Although I did have my bottle of UE68 in my car one day to share with him to coerce him to keep a private stock of absinthe in one of his bars...he didn't show up that drinking day. I finished the UE before I saw him again.

anyway...go to Vasmay, ask for Vykky, tell her you know Rob (thats me) from an online forum about absinthe. She'll call you an internet nerd and pour you a very very strong drink.

Oops! Sorry I posted their name! I edited my post to fix that (maybe you should edit your response too). I didn't deduce you were trying to keep the name under the table. I suck at figuring out what emoticons mean.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll stop by there some time and drop your name and get some absinthe! Speaking of internet nerds, I'll probably bring Rimbaud along. You're welcome to come too by the way, obviously, since you're the one who gave the tip! I'll PM you when we end up going.