Sign in to follow this  
luchog

Wired article on Ted Breaux and Absinthe

Gentlemen, forget about educating newbies, let us bring this thread back up to the highbrow posting we are all more acustomed to...

... he he, you said

duty to do.

get it? get it? "duty" and "do" like poop?

:laf:

I wish Artemis's post could be put somewhere for the newer people so they can understand the 'folklore' that exists in the history of the online absinthe community

WTF?

get it?

No.

Post #89...I thought what you said was insightful. I didn't mean a section like "Artemis's tip of the day" or anything, just the idea presented about your feelings about the wired article could be paraphrased (yes, I guess I did say your post, my bad) somewhere on the site to give new people a perspective on these sites and how those involved in their development see things. Sorry, it's kinda hard to put in words. If I had read post #89 I would know better than to write "wow, look at what Ted is doing for the popularity of absinthe. Ted for Prez." or something along those lines.

Guess I have a soft spot for helping noobs, of which I partly still am. I tend to think outloud and straight into the keyboard sometimes. Hope that makes some more sense. If not..then just ignore me ;)

Okay. Lots of people know Ted, who's been around in this arena longer than I have. It's not important to know the history, it's just smart to take everything you see in the news media with a grain of salt. With that said, Ted has done a world of good for absinthe, probably more than anyone else, and I have to repeat, he deserves credit for it.

I've been pouring over the posts here and at La Fee Verte and its obvious that Ted causes reactions of both respect and criticism (at the moment, I only have respect). It certainly is commendable that he has devoted lots of effort in reverse engineering absinthes of the past and of course I'm dying to try the Jade absinthes.....

but strictly from a media point of view, part of his minor celebrity seems to come from the tragic circumstances in New Orleans. I'm not suggesting that he is purposely manipulating this situation--in fact Ild wager that he'ld prefer to have his home in NO back and all of its contents in their pre-Katrina condition. Rather, if I'm an idiot editor or program director.....

editor: "Absinthe...ok...what else you got?"

journalist: "well, the guy now makes what is generally seen as the best commercial product out there"

e: "yeah...thats interesting...I tried some sebor at a party in london last month.....what else you got?"

J: "he's a scientist"

e: "yawn"

j: "well...in the USA, New Orleans was a major place for absinthe..."

e: "I'm listening..."

j: "and this guy lost his home in Hurricane Katrina"

e: "there's your hook, go with it!"

I don't mean to disparage Ted. But would he have gotten a picture in wired if it wasn't for katrina? would the article have been as lenthy? I suspect the Ted Breaux minor media phenomenon has to do with things bigger than absinthe.

Now...maybe someone in the french quarter can put 3 and 7 together and find a way to at least make it legal in the eventual rebuilt NO. I'ld love to be blitzed on absinthe sitting in a dive bar on decateur street or elsewhere in the city listening to the rebirth brass band...........(I havn't been to new orleans in three years...and thinking about Katrina now simultaneously makes me very sad and really pisses me off)

You can still sit in a bar and be 'blitzed' on absinthe. Just sneak in your own ;)

I did! A lovely friend of mine manages a bar in NYC and bartends on sunday afternoons. I pre-mixed a couple of VDF's and brought them in for us to drink at her bar. Shes already scolded me for staying home one friday night to drink absinthe rather than go to her bar and drink. She'ld keep a bottle under the bar for me if I wanted, but we dont really trust her other bartenders to keep their hands off of it. Im thinking of emptying a bottle of Pernod pastis and filling it with absinthe and stashing it at her bar.

None of her patrons are going order Pernod, but if some of my other drinking buddies--who have only had logan fills and czech swill--find out whats in it, they'll devour it when Im not there. :drunk:

:cheers:

What's the name of that bar, just in case I'm in NYC anytime soon? ;)

Hmmm. "I'll have the Pernod, please"

Well...it used to be called Meow Mix and was featured in the movie "Chasing Amy." But its got a different name now B)

Word on the drunken streets of lower manhattan is that there is a liquor store in China town that sells absinthe if you ask for it. They keep it under the counter. There's no way its quality stuff, but Im very curious just to find out if this is true. I was told this by the same drinking buddies mentioned above. Apparently one met a guy a party who claims to make absinthe in brooklyn. "Logan Fills?" I asked "Sounds right" he replied.

Scarey

:harhar: As a new member, I can honestly say that I am not deserving enough to make snide, seeming raw snipes at the posts, that are made by more knowledgeable members.

But it seems to me that witty whippets are the status quo and one either develops a thicker skin or migrates elswere.

I have learned alot here and at that other forum. So I just enter here, tread lightly and enjoy the posts.

:cheers:

What's the name of that bar, just in case I'm in NYC anytime soon? ;)

Well...it used to be called Meow Mix and was featured in the movie "Chasing Amy." But its got a different name now B)

Word on the drunken streets of lower manhattan is that there is a liquor store in China town that sells absinthe if you ask for it. They keep it under the counter. There's no way its quality stuff, but Im very curious just to find out if this is true. I was told this by the same drinking buddies mentioned above. Apparently one met a guy a party who claims to make absinthe in brooklyn. "Logan Fills?" I asked "Sounds right" he replied.

Scarey

Last bar in NYC I was in was the Stonewall with my wife and some friends. Interesting place.

:wacko: It's amazing though, how these and other posts go off on other tangents, swirl around to different demensions and wind up back to the original subject. But then the more off the wall snippets, the closer you are to getting that next level of membership.

Sorry, grammar point:  it's Logan Fils, Pernod Fils, etc., with one "L" and it's pronounced "fee" and rhymes with "tree."

The 's' is pronounced too - it rhymes with "swiss".

Sorry, grammar point:  it's Logan Fils, Pernod Fils, etc., with one "L" and it's pronounced "fee" and rhymes with "tree."

oops sorry. I do know how to pronounce it and I actually can read French at an intermediate level. Im a notoriously poor speller....which is even funnier when you realize I have 4 degrees and am almost done with a PhD. I work as a college professor and often spell things drastically wrong on the blackboard. As in...I'll leave out letters and such....while sober!

minor dislexia, its not just for breakfast anymore............................

Damn it. What are you, scandinavian master of mind-reading? Those words were exactly what I was about to write... Hmmm.

Zat is ze way øf zinking among ze scandinavian Masteurs øf French Pronønciation.

The 's' is pronounced too - it rhymes with "swiss".
rhymes with fleece. or swiss if it's pronounced like suisse.

Well spank my ass and call me Sally. I stand corrected. Last I heard, an s at the end of a word is generally silent, unless a following word begins with a vowel. Of course, all the frog speakers I know are Americans.

Bloody vikings.

:secret2: Did Hiram just hint at liking his ass spanked and being called Sally. The question is ............. whos doing the spanking and what is he wearing whilst in this fantasy mode.

Rather, if I'm an idiot editor or program director.....

You're deadly accurate in general, and it may even have been true in this case, but Ted has been in the media for some time and has no need of such props. He lost almost everything in that hurricane, and that sucks really bad, but he was an absinthe legend well before that, at least among people who actually know something about absinthe.

What's the name of that bar, just in case I'm in NYC anytime soon?

Well...it used to be called Meow Mix and was featured in the movie "Chasing Amy." But its got a different name now

Word on the drunken streets of lower manhattan is that there is a liquor store in China town that sells absinthe if you ask for it.

Meow Mix is now called [edited]. I thought it was a Lesbian bar, though maybe since the name changed the clientele has changed too and made it less exclusive. My friend Tom didn't realize that and went there once and got the evil eye.

Somebody told me Assenzio (on 4th between A&B) sold real absinthe, but it's Absente and it's $10 a glass. I asked the manager and he said Absente was real absinthe. They even call it "Absinthe" on the cocktail menu.

:laf:

Someone also told me this club Opaline sold real absinthe, but I'm pretty sure it's BS just like all the other claims are. For what it's worth, you can go to Provence, which is a French Restaurant in SoHo (wife and I had our wedding there), and you can bring your own absinthe and they'll even give you a nice Versinthe fountain to use. They have a great wine and pastis selection too, and the food is spectacular.

Although I don't have any evidence for it, I've heard more than one person say that the Absente representative that visits bars to get them to stock absente has been telling bars it's real absinthe they just can't say so on the bottle, or similar BS.