Brian Robinson

Paul Nathan takes a swipe at the WS

Is is just me or did the author of that article crib a bit of text right off the front page of the Wormwood Society website?

Our site says:

"The Wormwood Society is a non-profit educational and consumer advocacy organization focused on providing current, historically and scientifically accurate information about absinthe, the most maligned and misunderstood drink in history. "

The article says:

"Absinthe is quite possibly the most misunderstood, maligned, and mysterious alcoholic beverage to date."

But this one is my favorite:

"The Wormwood Society, an organization aimed at current, historically, and scientifically accurate information about absinthe and consumers."

Scientifically accurate information about consumers is certainly what I look for here at the Wormwood Society.

"The Wormwood Society, an organization aimed at current, historically, and scientifically accurate information about absinthe and consumers."

Scientifically accurate information about consumers is certainly what I look for here at the Wormwood Society.

:laf:

Makes us sound like a wholly owned subsidiary of the absinthe industry. Absinthe consumers are our speciality.

I'm not familiar with your history with Paul.

I did however, find Paul's website thu a link on Jen's youtube channel. He has a vid of "huffing" flamed Czech absinthe. It is utterly ridiculous and moronic; combining frat-boy shot drinking with Chinese hot glass cup therapy!

He says he's only educating, not judging, and mentions serious abstinthe drinkers frown on this sort of thing. What I'm wondering is why make a vid like this at all if you enjoy good absinthe? One might just as well demonstrate lighting one's gaseous emissions on fire with a bic lighter as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine how anybody spreading the word on absinthe would demonstrate such nonsense in a serious manner. :poop:

Edited by sbmac

I'm not familiar with your history with Paul.

I did however, find Paul's website thu a link on Jen's youtube channel.

Disclaimer: I'm not condoning the methods or myth PN puts in print, web, or video. He is, however, a colourful and noisy character on the landscape and perhaps people who only know absinthe through him will find my videos through a few link hops. (And they will hopefully be inspired to get their hands on something more traditional, even if not from my shop.)

One might just as well demonstrate lighting one's gaseous emissions on fire with a bic lighter as far as I'm concerned.

That's the Czech colon-cleansing ritual.

it takes years of hard work and discipline to perfect, I might add.

One might just as well demonstrate lighting one's gaseous emissions on fire with a bic lighter as far as I'm concerned.

That's the Czech colon-cleansing ritual.

Just drinking the stuff will do that (provided it stays down). :tongue:

I don't know Paul. What I can say is that my world life is full of insane and interesting people...the world would be lessened without them. My suspicion is that WS people are very concerned about "bad" absinthe rituals, and promotion and behavior affecting its reputation at a critical point in its comeback. For this reason, I feel that people like Paul who clearly do love absinthe be more mindful about presenting it only in the best way, to ensure its comeback is permanent and free of misinformation.

One of the highest artistic and intellectual cultures of modern time, with a HUGE population drinking absinthe STILL lost their right to drink absinthe. Think about that. We need to advocate correctly and responsibly in the era of corrupt politics, corporate payoffs, legal insanity and religious zealotry.

Presenting absinthe in any other light than its best foot forward is purely foolish, and anyone who does so, does NOT have absinthe's best interests at heart. Those of you who are makers and vendors here have much more to lose...your income and investments, by not slamming these people for their irresponsible promotional ventures. Yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but for new people reading this I thought my point of view was worthy of expression.

Edited by sbmac

I think it's important for newcomers to see some of the history involved with certain 'absinthe celebrities'.

If you read through that thread, there's actually a lot of good info, like Alan's citations of the Rowley Absinthe Fire Ritual, which seems to have started the whole absinthe fire phenomenon.

But you've got to wade through a whole bunch o'crap to find those little tidbits. :)

Thanks Brian, I'd actually missed that tidbit. Luckily it's on the first page of the thread so I didn't have to wade too far...

For this reason, I feel that people like Paul who clearly do love absinthe be more mindful about presenting it only in the best way, to ensure its comeback is permanent and free of misinformation.

Paul Nathan does not love absinthe. He's an attention-craving proponent of frat-boy antics and a shill for a crappy liqueur that purports to be absinthe but is not. If you can bring yourself to read the thread to which Brian provided a link, you'll also see that he's an anti-intellectual and propagandist of the first order.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, right now the absinthe revival is in a precarious situation. Without a legal definition to protect the identity of the spirit here in the world's largest economy, any foothold gained by non-absinthe liqueurs, vodkas, or bitters that nonetheless wear "absinthe" on their label is bad for the future of the the drink. That's why I cannot shrug off the otherwise silly and contemptible antics of the Paul Nathans of the world. He's no different than the purveyors of "Bohemian" absinthe who deceive the gullible; in some ways he's worse.

Disclaimer: I'm not condoning the methods or myth PN puts in print, web, or video. He is, however, a colourful and noisy character on the landscape and perhaps people who only know absinthe through him will find my videos through a few link hops. (And they will hopefully be inspired to get their hands on something more traditional, even if not from my shop.)

There are better ways to spread the word.

He's no different than the purveyors of "Bohemian" absinthe who deceive the gullible; in some ways he's worse.

Yep. Because he holds himself out to be an expert, as well as being independent. Funny that he doesn't disclose that certain brands are paying for his publicity of their product.

Nope...skimmed over the parts that were bullshit...turned out to be quite a bit of that. There were however, nuggets of info to be found. One might say I "huffed" the thread.

Edited by sbmac

One might say I "huffed" the thread.

:laf:

I wish I had the first time around. Well, maybe not, as it could have worsened my headache.

Does that lying douchebag still exist? I would have expected his act to have gotten old enough by now for his 15 minutes to have expired and for him to have sunk back into irrelevancy.