Brian Robinson

Paul Nathan takes a swipe at the WS

I’ll admit that I played things up a bit when I first got started as well. But for Christ sake, this is a grown man who knows he’s lying, trying to make an image for himself. That’s what’s laughable. Oh well…perpetuating the myth of hallucination by liquor other than by DTs will probably just bring a lot more people around when they realize it’s not true for themselves. He can keep saying it and intelligent people will continue to dismiss it through their own experience. It’s just a shame this guy has to whore himself in this fashion in order to turn a dollar / Euro.

I believe I made a dietary recommendation in a previous thread regarding this guy. It’s not even worth the effort…though I still feel the same way.

perpetuating the myth of hallucination by liquor other than by DTs will probably just bring a lot more people around when they realize it’s not true for themselves.

They don't care about that. His sponsors know they don't get much repeat business, but this strategy is not to get repeat business, it's to get the business first.

When you're marketing directly at the gullible and impressionable—a demographic that will never run dry because there's a whole new crop of callow 21-year-olds every year—what's in the bottle doesn't matter, you just need to get them to buy it once.

They don't care about that. His sponsors know they don't get much repeat business, but this strategy is not to get repeat business, it's to get the business first.

When you're marketing directly at the gullible and impressionable—a demographic that will never run dry because there's a whole new crop of callow 21-year-olds every year—what's in the bottle doesn't matter, you just need to get them to buy it once.

I understand that. I wasn't talking about the yearly influx of ill-informed kids buying LTV on a whim based on what they saw Johnny Depp do in a scene out of From Hell, but rather adults who might be inclined to go a little further after finding their way through the smoke and mirrors. Not that these kids can't do it for themselves, but it's a double edged blade with this guy and those of his ilk.

On one hand, he's an obvious knob, opportunistically propagating a centuries-old myth to make sales. On the other hand (and let the flames begin) I can't bring myself to completely damn him because with every line of bullshit he slings to those who would listen, he's potentially inching people in the right direction. By that rationale, however, he arguably could nudge people from ever trying absinthe again, after they've ingested the Aqua Velva substitute known as Le Tourment Vert...which is not absinthe.

Tangentially, from the worst-case-scenario of turning someone away after having bad absinthe, I liken my first absinthe experiences with Logan Fils and La Fee to the experiences of someone who's heard only bad things about "pink" wines. They might turn up their nose at a rosé until they've had a good one paired with something that makes it a great one...a malbec rosé paired with dark turkey meat, for example. :wave2: (I've made it a Thanksgiving staple for the past 5 years now!)

My first taste of white zinfandel made me think I would never touch another blush again. The same thing goes with my first two absinthes -- overpriced garbage that wasn't very good. But once I found the good stuff after sifting through the bad -- incredible. And I haven't looked back.

So in summation to this very unexpectedly long-winded post, I think Paul Nathan is doing absinthe more harm than good. But there's always that one person who's curiosity will be piqued enough to do real research and find a passion in the history and true spirit of the...well, spirit...after they've seen one of this guy's shows.

Food for thought.

Good old fashioned stress relief. Drinking, a bat, blindfolds...liquefied paper maché cartoon characters? What could possibly go wrong? A feller could have a pretty good weekend in Kalispell with all that stuff...not to mention a complimentary continental pokay fire pit. :twitchsmile:

Crap. Now I need to find a frickin' piñata. :cheers:

Who is paul nathan?*

*Rhetorical question indicating this thread can be gloriously derailed because he really isn't worth this much time. ;)

Who is paul nathan?*

ass-pinata.jpg

I might be an asshole for making him the butt of another joke, butt he does plenty of that on his own accord as it is, so I won't feel bad.

:poop:

Edited by baubel

Crap. Now I need to find a frickin' piñata. :cheers:

Who is paul nathan?*

*Rhetorical question indicating this thread can be gloriously derailed because he really isn't worth this much time. ;)

I was actually wondering that for real... clearly not someone of much importance or the name would at least slightly ring a bell!

Yeah, I like cartoon characters. Hmmph!

I feel like I get cheated out of time when I read a thread about him or try to watch one of his videos.

He does dress well. Whores will be whores.......his value(?) will diminish with time.

I have nothing againts whores and prostitutes, literally. We need them, seriously. Some just serve a better purpose than others. JMHO

:cheers:

But you have to beat the crap out of them to make sure they're fully liquefied.

That's called "muddling."

I'd hit that.

Well-played sir!

I have nothing against whores and prostitutes, literally. We need them, seriously. Some just serve a better purpose than others. JMHO

Some of my best friends have been whores and prostitutes.

Paul's not a whore, he's a carny.

I stand corrected. Carny is much better. ;)

Some good friends formerly worked the oldest profession as well. :cheers:

This alone can derail the thread. :devil:

Kind of cleans it up a bit.

Sage actually contains about 2.5 percent thujone, whereas wormwood only has 1 percent wormwood, says herbalist Chris Headley.

I was particularly impressed with the editor of the article's attention to detail. I wasn't aware that wormwood was only 1% wormwood.

Paul's not a whore, he's a carny.

I was looking for the right descriptor. It was on the tip of my tongue. This one hits the nail on the head!

"Carnies! Circus Folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands."

mike_myers_as_austin_powers__1_.jpg

Edited by precenphix

...whereas wormwood only has 1 percent wormwood, says herbalist Chris Headley.

Huh? :twitchsmile:

And, back to the pinatas, my father makes homemade ones in the likenesses of anything or anyone I request. The last one was an effigy of a grad school prof that my fellow students and I beat to smithereens and out came candy and little bottles of booze. My dad rocks.

"I've had it up to here with the likes of you people!!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were... circus midgets."

(My apology for the lack of image from that fine American cartoon episode called "Fire Dogs." I couldn't find one for the life of me.)

I'd hit that.

:laf: Having... trouble... breathing...