Jack Griffin

Show Us Your Stash!

Several people have teased me for not posting any of 'the stash' over the past few years. After some cajoling this week, I decided to post a little peek. This is approx 1/3 of the absinthe part of the collection, which is currently relegated to an unflattering wooden shelf, awaiting the build out of the home bar, which I hope to complete sometime this year. It will be nice to return them to their rightful spot in a respectable display! :)

photo

Dammit, Brian...I was just complaining last night about my liquor cabinet being full, but it's about half that much stuff (and not just absinthe). :wacko:

Though this explains all the "so, I couldn't find that one you asked for, so I threw something else in instead." :laugh:

Several people have teased me for not posting any of 'the stash' over the past few years. After some cajoling this week, I decided to post a little peek. This is approx 1/3 of the absinthe part of the collection, which is currently relegated to an unflattering wooden shelf, awaiting the build out of the home bar, which I hope to complete sometime this year. It will be nice to return them to their rightful spot in a respectable display! :)8437311108_00e9e0b429_b.jpg

I do house sitting,PM me. I

Yes, it's Obesllo II. I'm not a big fan, and if I hold my nose while drinking Lucid (to avoid that funky smell) I like it better than the Obesllo. Now, here's where I wish I were as good at this whole absinthe thing as you guys and gals. Of all that I've tried, my favorite is the Wild Card which is distilled in a little town here in Oregon. I don't think any of you have tried it since there's no review, but I wish like hell that you could. I want to write a review, but after reading the ones written here I realize I'd drop the ball big time. Anyway, Wild Card is amazing, it's my personal favorite (and it's always on the shelf at my local liquor store for 50 bucks). Next in line would pretty much be an even tie between Marteau, Jade, Walton Waters, and Pacifique. Those absinthes are just as divine as the Wild Card, all so damn delicious! The other brands are just alright.

Well, my stash hasn't reached the epic proportions of Brian's of course, but I think I've made a good beginners stab at it. Behold the current stash of the House of Manray. The two small viles are samples of a 30's/40's Pernod Fils Taragona, one of which was consumed for my birthday earlier this month.post-4003-0-50384800-1366685589_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manray

You have some very nice stuff there.Handsome label on the 1901.Your pic reminded me that I have some Duplais.I realy like it,but for some reason,I always seem to overlook it.Gonna have to break into it tomorrow I think.

Nice stash!

Whats in the red bottle to the right of Pacifique? A tomato base absinthe? :fork:

That is Vintage #8,a.k.a V8, of course.

Edited by greytail

The remnants of the red one gallon jug (!) is McIlhenny's Buffalo Sauce. Only used with chicken nuggets, salsa chips and occasionally as a heavy duty industrial paint stripper. The '30s/'40s Tarragona was very good, although I think I ended up overwatering the drinks made with it just a tad. If it's taste is any indication of the original pre ban Pernod Fils recipe (which I can't imagine them altering just because they moved their operation to Spain after the ban) then I must say that the reverse engineering done with absinthes such as the Jade PF 1901 appear to be darn close to the original pre ban formula. So, as I am glad I bought the samples to experience vintage absinthe first hand (as close to pre ban as I can currently afford), it has confirmed for me that there are modern absinthes (in the U.S. and Europe) produced in the tradtional style that are just as good as absinthes produced at least 80 years ago.

I agree Redwun, that new PF 1901 label is very handsome indeed. I too haven't been back to the Duplais since I opened it a couple of months ago, so it will be interesting to see what difference a little air has made in the flavor.

My favorites so far in this current stash, aside from the Pacifique and Vieux Pontarlier which I've had previously and LOVE (keep it up Marc!), are La Clandestine, my two Jades (PF 1901 and "Eddy"), Authentique, La Maison Fontaine, Marteau, Ridge Verte and Walton Waters.

Edited by Manray

Today marks some significant additions to my personal stash :)

post-4062-0-30949500-1369420858_thumb.jpg

NEW:

• Ridge Verte
  • Marteau
  • Duplais Verte
  • Obsello II

OPENED:

• Leopold Verte
  • Pacifique
  • Walton Waters
  • Vieux Carre
  • Lucid