Captain Tom

Absinthe Perroquet

We decided to change the bottle for our absinthe Perroquet. Here is the new one, heavier than the previous one and... darker. I hope it will please you ;) We have waxed, stamped and glued the labels ourselves, it was fun :D.

This photo has been shot at Emile Pernot's distillery. You can see the famous Egrot still behind. Fun part : the seat where the bottle is standing is a vintage one from the XIX° and belongs to the old distillery Cousin Jeune where Emile Pernot is now established. It had been forgotten in the distillery for hundred years and has been exhumed for the photo ;)

perroquet-ga-02-1200.jpg

More pics HERE

Edited by Heure Verte

Beautiful!

It's already a fabulous absinthe, but switching to the dark bottle to preserve the color for a little longer makes it even more enjoyable. Very cool.

Classy as usual, Luc.

There's a whole thread on the wax, but I'm going to try the suggestion to soften the wax by immersion in boiled water.

Although I've never had a bottle of Perroquet, I've also never considered the hot water softening option for wax seals, in genera,l onacuz I'm a dumass.

Thanks, Brian. :cheers:

A bit of bad news for those of you who, like me, are fans of the Parrot:

Word on the street is that Perroquet has been discontinued. Or, more accurately, that there are currently no plans for another distillation at Pernot. I've heard no explanation for this other than it was Luc's decision.

This means that after bottles from the last distillation are gone, Perroquet will be commercially unavailable, at least temporarily (assuming Luc has plans to have another batch distilled at Pernot or elsewhere in the future).

It's already been de-listed at LdF and is sold out at Pernot. Last time I checked, Vert d'Absinthe still had some in stock, as did Alandia and Absinthe.de. If you like it or if you've been meaning to try it, you may want to place an order sooner rather than later.

I just replenished my own stock. The new bottle is quite lovely and the absinthe inside remains one of my current favorites.

Here's hoping that this halt in production is just temporary.

Thanks AIO...that sucks! This is damned good stuff.

Perhaps the time and space needed to reformulate Roquette and Emile have something to do with this.

I hope they bring it back!

Perhaps the time and space needed to reformulate Roquette and Emile have something to do with this.

That's not the sense I got; I got the sense that it was Luc's decision. Perroquet is his project, not Pernot's. He just had an arrangement with them for its distillation.

That's not the sense I got; I got the sense that it was Luc's decision. Perroquet is his project, not Pernot's. He just had an arrangement with them for its distillation.

I never planned to stop the Perroquet ;) Vert d'Absinthe took last month the bottles we filled, waxed and stamped ourselves at Pernot (the Special Edition). No more is left for now at the distillery but we'll soon make a new one. The remaining bottles avaiable are from the very first batch (Sept 2009).

Edited by Heure Verte

I haven't decided to review this yet. I disliked it without sugar, and with sugar I did find it well made, but unsure about the particular flavor. But my wife went bananas for it, and finished my half empty glass for me.

You may be sensing Pernot's grape base. It's quite tasty, but if it's your 1st Pernot, it is different than any other base you've had. It's very tasty stuff, but you need to find the right spot. I find Perroquet delicious, but there is a bit of alcohol heat. Too much water, and it's all over, not enough, it's can be a bit hot. Somewhere around 3.5:1 this shines. I sugar it about half the time, depending on my mood.

Too much water, and it's all over, not enough, it's can be a bit hot. Somewhere around 3.5:1 this shines.

I've never had a glass of Perroquet ruined by"overwatering" and I've gone as high as 6:1 with it. At 72%, this is not a delicate absinthe. I typically drink it at around 5:1 and find that it sings at this ratio.

I've loved too many EPs for it to be the base. There is a flavor best described as grapefruit, that bothered me alot without sugar, but was ok with sugar. I can tell all the other aspects are top notch. I just happen to hate grapefruit. Shame on me living in TX and all. The only incarnation of grapefruit I like is Shiner 103, which is a nice beer. I'd hate to slam a product on review, just because my personal tastes clash with it. My wife (who loves grapefruit) loved this absinthe.

The way the review criteria apply, there should be no need to "slam" a product because it clashes with your personal taste. Sometimes to me, the most frustrating thing with reviews here is the fact that so many treat them as a "how much I liked it, or not" thing.

I can understand how one's tastes could soften or somewhat elevate a score, but if the guidelines are followed, it shouldn't grossly affect the score.