Captain Tom

Absinthe Perroquet

According to the article on heureverte.com

• It's a new Parisienne (the top notch absinthes by Vert d'Absinthe)
  • Distillated at "Les Fils d'Emile Pernot" (Roquette, Un Emile, Belle Amie)
  • Estimated release date : April

"Un perroquet" is french slang to say "an absinthe", like in "étrangler un perroquet", which would translate "to choke a parrot", and used to mean drink an absinthe.

Trivia : Parisiennes' back label have had for a long time a little humoristic drawing at the bottom with a cat jumping at a parrot, with the legend "the cat also would fancy choking a parrot"

As for the product itself, I've had a go to the distiller's proof for some months now, and while I can't tell much about the final product, I can say that much : the DP is one of the best things I had.

First of all, it's clearly quite different from the others Parisiennes, which used to be, until now, very floral and fruity. This one smells like the edge of a wood, with a slight pinch of wormwood.

Much more like a Jade profile actually, but with some qualities taken from VS, EE and PF in a totally new subtle blend.

I'd have to provide a detailed review, and will here post from memories.

Anise, fennel and some plants provide a fruity a sweet start, followed by wood and chocolate or coffee tastes, then followed by an excellent and fruity wormwood (the already excellent Pernot wormwood, sublimated by the other tastes).

It has a real body, and without being as present as the Devoille-distillated Parisiennes (which can be sometimes too much), the excellent wine alcohol provides something a bit above some recent Jades, in my humble opinion.

There were still some minuses (some of which I loved) in the distiller's which may have disappeared in the final batch, I'll tell you in time. The most notable was you had to have a good hand and experience at preparing an absinthe for it not to be just average and go in the "splendid" category. I trust Luc's experience in that matter, he may well have fixed it for the final batch.

fun story : I once asked my gf to serve both of us a Jade, at a time I was mainly on Perroquet DP, and once prepared, I sworn heavily in surprise. Told her "that's not a Jade, you must have been mistaken. Have a sip"

"Is this the Perroquet ?" she asked me, knowing to recognize a good absinthe, but not the specific profiles of each Jade.

Yup guys, it's that good :)

At least it's not assemblage distillation from Devoille, right Aggelos? :tongue:

Seriously, sounds good!

From the name, I would have expected this absinthe to have some mint flavor in the profile.

"Un Perroquet" is a pastis drink with mint syrup, which gives it a little green tint.

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey

The truth is, many a "syrup cocktail" made with absinthe (Tomate, Mauresque, etc) in the old time still have the same name today with Pastis, from what I've read.

Perroquet is an exception, it used to refer to an absinthe, and now refers to the pastis/mint syrup cocktail indeed.

Truth is, there is not, from what I've tasted, any minty taste in Perroquet

Indeed.

And I'm still waiting impatiently for Stefano's delicious La Grenouille make its commercial debut.

I said this before in another thread, but I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't tried the recent La Desiree, so I'll probably order both when I order the Perroquet when it's available at the end of the month. These last two are supposed to be amazing. I really wish they weren't clear bottles though.

You can plug that url into google translate and it does an okay job translating. No worries.

After letting Google Translate work it's magic I am pretty excited to try this new release. Honestly I haven't tried La Coquette or La Désirée, so I will probably place an order for all three when the Perroquet becomes available. The video of the louche looks very nice and you can see the trails very nicely!

Here is another great video by the talented Luc-Santiago.

The Bloch Brouille is the centerpiece of this presentation however there is a full Perroquet

louche featured towards the end. A thing of beauty indeed.

The former video of the Perroquet louching in 1870 bubble Frenchman glass was a bit more impressive when it comes to louche itself in my humble opinion.

But seeing the Bloch in action is definitely worth it :) There never had been a video of it before, and the guys at Vert d'Absinthe definitely have a keen eye :)

I recently got of the phone to Mark at Absinthe.de (wondering why my order status said not shipped yet) and after he assured me that my bottles should arrive tomorrow, he then spoke to me about the Perroquet. He seemed to think that it was pretty special and recommended that I pick up a bottle on my next order.

At first I thought maybe sales pitch so clicked here to check if any one had tried it and lo' and behold there's a thread talking about it. Unfortunately no-one has actually tasted it yet and its a speculation thread but 9/10 anyway ;) .

I will be very interested to hear the reviews from the absinthe heavyweights from this site.

A few questions to the scholars though,

What's your thoughts on the clear bottle sans light protection?.

Will you drink it whilst sitting in a dark closet to protect it?

Does it mean it would deteriorate quicker unless stored in the dark?

cheers :cheers:

Edited by ignis

Unfortunately no-one has actually tasted it

Well, my impressions on the distiller's proof should have given you a good hint

What's your thoughts on the clear bottle sans light protection?.

Will you drink it whilst sitting in a dark closet to protect it?

Does it mean it would deteriorate quicker unless stored in the dark?

Well, don't let it sit in plain light, but even with a clear bottle behind a counter, a good absinthe can age well (for example : VdF is at its best in a bar)

Well, my impressions on the distiller's proof should have given you a good hint

Well excuse me champ, that is my mistake i must of glazed over your post when I saw the 'trivia' part.

That does give me a hint and I'm very grateful, however I'd still be interested in hearing from those who have tasted it in its final form.

hints are good, facts are better. :cheers:

Guess I won't be buying it. VdA doesn't seem to like my debit card

Yeah, I had a problem when I tried ordering last week, but then I tried again a few days later and it worked with no issues. I think the bank which processes the transaction is Credit Mutuel.

I recently got of the phone to Mark at Absinthe.de

You're in good hands there.

As for the Perroquet, my advice is to order it! A good portion of the absinthe I have is in clear bottles. The consensus is that the color would be the only thing that changes if affected by light. No matter what bottle you use or what storage conditions, if it's a naturally colored verte it will always turn dead leaf. It's as sure as the sun rising. The darker bottles and proper storage conditions help to slow that advance.

Thanks Ron, Mark does seem like a really genuine guy and loves his product. I have fouund him to be on the ball with all aspects of his business. He is easy to talk to and easy to get hold of, he seems to value your input and value the business you send his way whether it be large or small.

you know what? bugger it I just checked my account and I'm flush so a bottle of Perroquet it is!! haha :rolleyes:

Can you guys tell me (in U.S $) what a bottle of Perroquet costs you there? I'd be interested to know with shipping and all.