InAbsinthia

Limit raised to 35mg Thujone in France?

1/2 @absinthegeek "Les deux derniers alinéas [...] sont supprimés" it's actually a revision of the old law, only suppressing the limits

2/2 fenchone and pinocamphone (last alineas of first article), ergo the distinctions are still there.

Article 2 states that "is assimilated to absinthe" (hence forbidden, it's the trick) "any artemisia based beverage with > 35mg/L thujone"

Quoting myself from twitter

As I read it, simply applies the current standard to any spirits containing any artemisia species (just like in the US), whether or not they're called "absinthe." As we know, labeling issues in France (just like in the US) prevent a product from being directly called "absinthe", hence the silly nicknames like "aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe" or in our case "grape neutral spirits distilled and infused with herbs and spices."

But then my French is not all that.

The French limits for fenchone and pinocamphone in absinthe have been repealed.

No change to the thujone limits (same as the rest of EU/Switzerland at 10 ppm, unless labelled as amer in which case it is 35 ppm).

No change to labelling regulations: something labelled just "absinthe" is illegal, but "spiritueux aux plantes d'absinthe" is OK.

Implications for the US? French products no longer have the production constraints they have had up to now. Maybe François Guy will start using fennel?!

The French limits for fenchone and pinocamphone in absinthe have been repealed

Hmmm, now I wonder just how in the world that came to pass? ;)

So what I've heard was true :) Many thanks, seems it takes an american to know how to perform proper lobbyism in France :p

seems it takes an american to know how to perform proper lobbyism in France

There's a lot that Americans are capable of accomplishing in France that the French aren't so good at. :shifty:

There's a lot that Americans are capable of accomplishing in France that the French aren't so good at.

Or be amazed by a rusty absinthe spoon on a flea market, pay $40 for it, and still boast about it ?

c'mon guys, since you know how to elect anything else than a nutjob as president, we love you here, don't go in stereotypes :)

Stereotypes are so much fun though! I just had a conversation on this the other day! I do it with nothing but love though.

If I wasn't raising a son with an ex-wife up the road, I'd be in France right now making guitars, and benefiting from a truly civilized and cultured society. Don't get me wrong, I love America, just not

crazy about what's become of our country. Been fighting tooth and nail to get it back. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Perhaps it will once again be OURS instead of being owned and run by corporations and bought and sold politicians. In France, the government LISTENS when its people take to the streets.

the government LISTENS when its people take to the streets.

Sure they do... I'll quote more or less our glorious shorty

People manifest so much that we don't pay attention anymore

All French regions elect representatives of the other majority ?

Regional elections, regional consequences, the government will keep on current tracks

I guess more thujone means more wormwood right?

No. The levels of thujone and the amount of wormwood aren't necessarily related. Wormwood Blanche reportedly came in extremely low in thujone, yet had a TON of wonderful wormwood in it.

I wonder what it will do to the flavor?

I'm pretty sure producers will want to keep flavors the same, since they don't produce their absinthe according to thujone amount, but according to what flavor they want the end product to have. I'm sure some might fiddle with some changes, but more due to fenchone regulations than thujone.

As I wrote:-

No change to the thujone limits (same as the rest of EU/Switzerland at 10 ppm, unless labelled as amer in which case it is 35 ppm).

No. The levels of thujone and the amount of wormwood aren't necessarily related. Wormwood Blanche reportedly came in extremely low in thujone, yet had a TON of wonderful wormwood in it.

I wonder what it will do to the flavor?

I'm pretty sure producers will want to keep flavors the same, since they don't produce their absinthe according to thujone amount, but according to what flavor they want the end product to have. I'm sure some might fiddle with some changes, but more due to fenchone regulations than thujone.

Ah - gotcha. This has actually inspired another question (going to start a new thread to keep from derailing this one)