SusanCA

found bottle in attic! Seeking advice...

Altruism was our only motivation.

Note to Admin: I'd enjoy this even more with soft violin music playing in the background. Possible?

Edited by Oxygenee

I'd enjoy this more with soft violin music playing in the background. Possible?

I've been tracking this del Gesu that I feel would be ideal for the occasion.

I only ask that it be donated to the American Violin Museum, after the soft music ends.

Why are you so pissy, David? Had a bad week? Why does it bother you so much that we tried to do something nice? And why do you find that so hard to believe?

I hope this week is happier for you.

Way to flip your attitude, Oxygénée.

For that, you've earned this "Welcome" and a very deserving, "Happy Birthday."

You're talking about the Absinthe Museum of America as if it was the Guggenheim or the Met. It's not. It's a couple of rooms created by René' adjacent to his shop in NO, set up for the purpose of attracting traffic to his business, which is effectively the "Museum" gift shop. It's an admirable venture, but with all due respect in ultimate purpose no different from something like the Virtual Absinthe Museum, an information resource expressly set up to draw on-line traffic to my commercial websites,

I don't see anyone exaggerating about the museum. I know exactly what it is, having actually been there, and I disagree with your evaluation; the museum is twice the size of the shop. Ray Bordelon's home is a museum all by itself, he had no need to loan part of his vast collection to be viewed by the public, unless it was to free up some space at home. There are hundreds of such small museums around the world devoted to niche interests; they're no less museums for their size. We feel that the museum, humble though it may be, is a valuable asset to the history of absinthe in America.

The pious declarations here of how desperately you all wanted to buy the Pernod so that you could denote the empty bottle to the Museum ring hollow

No piety, we just had other interests at heart than our own.

- the "Advisory Committee" wanted to buy it so that they could get to taste an unusual vintage absinthe, and preferably pay as little as possible.

Your cynicism is misguided. The idea, as outlined above, was to make the samples available to anyone who wanted to buy one, at cost, and place the bottle on permanent loan or donation to the museum.

As for the Advisory Board, they are precisely that: a volunteer group designed to ensure that the administration (that's me) is open to external input and a variety of viewpoints from different political, social and economic backgrounds (that's them). Its function is to advise and provide input, suggestions and diverse perspectives on organizational projects.

David, although Gwydion has already answered this, I feel the need to do so as well, since you and I have presumably had a good relationship over the past few years. I was offended by your post. Mainly because it was completely off base.

The pious declarations here of how desperately you all wanted to buy the Pernod so that you could denote the empty bottle to the Museum ring hollow
Really? How is that? Considering you weren't privy to our discussions, or to the emails sent to Susan, how could you possibly know what our intentions were?

the "Advisory Committee" wanted to buy it so that they could get to taste an unusual vintage absinthe,
Um, no. Read the thread. I said that if I were able to decant the samples, they'd be available to the general membership.

and preferably pay as little as possible.
We gave her an offer that was a hell of a lot more than yours.

If you were prepared to pay "twice" what it sold for, presumably you think that this is what it's worth: in which case, since you were all motivated only by the purest altruism, why didn't you just offer the vendor this generous sum in the first place?
Because we wanted to find out if it would be possible to sell the samples at cost, and funnel the money back to her, so none of us had to spend any money out of pocket.

I know that some people might not like me for posting something that has come from the Advisory Board Discussion area, but I wanted you, Oxy, specifically to see the below quote. It was from me, discussing the possibility of getting the bottle:

As I said before, I'm not getting anything from it other than being able to offer samples to other members of the WS. I might buy one of my own though.

If she decides to do it, I'm not going to take a per-sample commission other than a few bucks to cover shipping.

I really think having the bottle housed at the museum is an absolutely AWESOME idea.

I also told Susan, that if it were impossible for her to accept payment as the samples were sold off, we would find a way to pony up the cash ahead of time and pay ourselves back.

But our intention was never to make any money off of the deal.

What I see here is a lot of brothers quibbling when in fact they should embrace their common ground.

Too many ways of seeing thru filters in situations like this, no matter how you feel, typing words in a forum or in e-mails can be dangerous. People will interpret tone and mood that may not be intended, and it just gets out of proportion.

We are brothers and sisters in our love of absinthe. It's a bottle. We'll live. It could have been filled with lemon Kool-aid for all we know. In fact, irony often is the greatest karma.

What I see here is a lot of brothers quibbling when in fact they should embrace their common ground.

...We are brothers and sisters in our love of absinthe.

Some of us are more like second cousins in our love of absinthe, actually.

:dev-cheers:

By the way, I'm guessing that Susan's post count may be stuck at 2 for quite a while....

I know I'm new here and not up on all the subtle nuance, history, politics and agenda...I was just sayin',

that's all. It does give an impression on a forum when stuff like this goes on, and new people, visitors, etc...can be turned off.

I was offended

Offended? Really? Offended??

Time to butch up, you big girl's blouse.

And so, stepping gingerly over the shattered china tea-cups and spilt petit-fours that now litter the deep-pile carpeting in this salon, I hurriedly take my leave, and say to you all:

"Good day, Sirs!"

And a gorgeous day it is shaping up to be. The snow should be all gone and the grass is green. Ahhh, spring. :)

Have a great day Oxy. :cheers:

Emphasis, mine.

You are quite right, Scott. We should be embracing what we have in common and turning a blind eye to our differences. I'm sure you remember that philosophy running through the Newcomers Required Reading section.

I don't know what got David's goat lately. Like I said earlier when he was grousing about WS doing something altruistic, perhaps he's just having a bad week but the cynicism was dripping from every word of his post. That's too bad. With his resources and connections, he could really do something positive.

So we'll leave Oxy-David to his funk and hope his lot in life improves. In the meantime, we'll try our best to embrace Scott's idea and Gwydion's philosophy to make The Wormwood Society even better and (dare I say? Yes, I dare!) even more altruistic.

With that said, let me invite anyone in the neighborhood over for a drink or two. Yes, that includes you, Oxy-David, you ol' scalawag. :cheers:

With his resources and connections, he could really do something positive.

Umm, he HAS done many very positive things.

And I really enjoy his sense of humor. It seems to be lost on some of you here.

Offended? Really? Offended??

Time to butch up, you big girl's blouse...

"Good day, Sirs!"

Oh, goody...Now all the big girls here get to be offended. :tongue: :cheers:

For the record, and NOT being privy to all the details, I agreed with Oxy about the seller and buyer...it's just the way things work. People are free to do whatever they want, including changing their minds, making bad choices, and painting themselves purple. If the guy who bought the bottle did or said something to foul up your deal with her, that's another story. Some people live by "all's fair in love and war"...I'm not one of them.

In the vintage guitar world, the EXACT same stuff goes on, often with people knowing each other. Altruism and self-interest don't mix. I NEVER share info with the guys I know are mercenary...but neither do I judge them...they're part of the ecosystem in the collector's world. They usually wind up paying a price for the way they behave. I suspect that you guys got burned by being open and sharing, which always hurts however. Been there myself many times.

My experience in life has taught me it all comes out in the wash... :cheers:

Edited by sbmac

I have no issue with any of that, Scott. Of course we were disappointed but I'll not surrender my altruistic ways just yet. ;) It's over and forgotten. I didn't lose a bit of sleep last night.

Just as a point of clarification:

With his resources and connections, he could really do something positive.

Umm, he HAS done many very positive things.

Seriously, Steven, don't you think we're all keenly aware of Oxy's contribution to the absinthe world? As Absomphe mentioned earlier, must we always wave the :sarc: , especially when something is so blatantly tongue-in-cheek? C'mon.

I don't know why David was in a foul mood nor why he chose to tease me but I took it as harmless teasing and returned the favor. It was harmless. I thought David's groupies complete with their best Harvey Fierstein impression, "Oh, snap!" was hilarious. (Before you get your panties in a wad over that, I consider Absomphe and Grim my little internet buddies.)

I can't imagine why anyone should be upset at the exchanges that have taken place. And, I sincerely hope you and David have a very good day. :wave2:

Strange business. Too bad about the bottle. As for the absinthe itself, well, I can always get another bottle of La Clandestine!

:cheers:

At the kind of prices discussed for pre-ban, you could get several cases.

"I'm sure he's giggling like a schoolgirl right now."

I'm sure you're right, Steve.

I suspect Oxy does that quite often, Steve, humor being his stock-in-trade.

It's the relative pithiness that gives it away.

The few times I've seen Oxy resort to seriousness over at FV, he became very expansive.

And who you callin' a groupie, Joe?

Frankly, I'm offended. :laugh:

I'm offended that Oxy's offended that Brian's offended while Absomphe is offended by Joe's mock offendedness.

I'm sure if I forgot anyone, they'll be offended. It's all very offensive.