SusanCA

found bottle in attic! Seeking advice...

I agree that the "auction" was unfortunate to have been public.

I believe you'll find that somehow she was discouraged from selling to someone who would have paid her twice what she got. You can't blame people for speculating about how such a thing might happen.

Wow, look at all the SoCal folks coming out of the woodwork to gawk.

I've no idea at all of what she eventually got for the bottle, but unless I'm missing something, I don't see what she or the eventual buyer did wrong. If this buyer managed to shut out other potential purchasers, he was only doing what EVERY prospective purchaser tries to do in this type of situation.

Edited by Oxygenee

I don't give a damn how common it is, and it appears maybe you are missing part of the story.

There seems to be a lot of innuendo going on here, unless there is some undisclosed information to back it up it's all nothing but unsubstantiated accusations...

It's not about me not trusting you, it's just that the cloak and dagger thing is wearing kind of thin and I'm over the whole "I know something you don't know" trip—if you have information to share, then do, but don't dangle hints and innuendos. Otherwise what's the point of being here?

I'd be willing to hear or read what you know. Perhaps the civilized thing would have been to take it private.

Oh, you really shouldn't piss on the furniture in someone elses house. Just a thought. :wave2:

Well, it's a very interesting quote, but something seems to be wrong with the link to the original post. Maybe you'll be so kind as to tell us where you found it? Taken out of context, it may have a whole different meaning.

I don't give a damn how common it is, and it appears maybe you are missing part of the story.

There seems to be a lot of innuendo going on here, unless there is some undisclosed information to back it up it's all nothing but unsubstantiated accusations...

It's not about me not trusting you, it's just that the cloak and dagger thing is wearing kind of thin and I'm over the whole "I know something you don't know" trip—if you have information to share, then do, but don't dangle hints and innuendos. Otherwise what's the point of being here?

None of this should have ever been discussed on the board, and the initial post about the bottle should have been screened (oh no! that would be censorship!!) and the seller advised accordingly.

There's a lot of private knowledge about the issue that would be inappropriate to discuss in public, regardless of how some may feel about the outcome.

Lesson learned, let's move on.

I'd be willing to hear or read what you know. Perhaps the civilized thing would have been to take it private.

Oh, you really shouldn't piss on the furniture in someone elses house. Just a thought. :wave2:

I do not think that chris deserves to be treated this way. Bill, I know that you are a better person than that.

Edited by eric

Talk about too many things getting blown out of proportion, we got it here.

Short story:

The WS Advisory Board launched into an opportunity to acquire a pre-ban. It had nothing to do with Oxy. We talked in (we believed) good faith to purchase this bottle out of our own pockets, promising to match or exceed any offer. Our plan was to provide samples to WS members only for the cost plus shipping to cover our initial investment. More important to us, the very rare bottle was going to be donated to the American Absinthe Museum because we saw it as a very important historical item.

*No one was going to profit.

*WS members would have a rare opportunity to sample a pre-ban at hopefully, a very affordable price.

*The Absinthe Museum would score big.

Good plan, eh? The seller encountered a wandering opportunist who took advantage of an opportunity. Hell, I'm not even upset at the wandering opportunist. I was disappointed in not being able to provide the pre-ban to WS members nor donate the bottle to the Absinthe Museum. We felt we were screwed out of an opportunity to do something really cool. That's all. That's it.

Chris misunderstood the situation which is understandable. It's cool, man. We tried to keep it quiet and when the deal fell through. we vented a little. We're human.

Eric, you should hang around more. You do know Bill better than that and your grandstanding would have been better served in a PM. You know, friends do that.

Despite some malcontents in other arenas wailing on and on, the WS Advisory Board is terribly dedicated to The Wormwood Society. We tried but it didn't pan out. We are all disappointed. Now, let's have a drink. :cheers:

Joe put it as well as anyone. I agree we should have a drink and chew the fat a bit.

As for my post to Chris, I was shocked at his post. I've visited with Chris a number of times and we always had good visits. It was probably one of my harsher posts but I felt there needed to be an end to the BS. It's over and we've all had our say. I don't keep score, have any agendas or dislike anyone here but I do wish that this whole thing hadn't gotten ugly. Please, let's just forget about it. I'm finished with the whole discussion.

Peace.

The "wandering opportunist" who bought the bottle is known to me: he's a knowledgeable vintage absinthe aficionado with several year's experience - and he had just as much right to buy the bottle as anyone else here.

Anyway, let me not get embroiled in the local politics here, those "Advisory Board" members sound pretty intimidating.

Oxygenee

Knight Commander of the Golden Wormwood (Second Class)

Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Governors,

Fee Verte Global Absinthe Research Foundation, and Bar and Grill.

Edited by Oxygenee

Advisory Board scary? I don't believe that for a moment. I don't think I even hinted that the person scoring the bottle did anything inappropriate. In fact, what I said was:

Hell, I'm not even upset at the wandering opportunist. I was disappointed in not being able to provide the pre-ban to WS members nor donate the bottle to the Absinthe Museum.

I don't think that's too far out of line, is it?

Exactly. We were even talking with her to find a way to acknowledge her husband's grandfather when we donated the bottle. It seemed like her husband really liked that idea. While the transaction itself left a bad taste in my mouth based on how it went down, it's more than I'm just upset we couldn't provide such an interesting contribution to the Museum and provide a source of pride for her and her husband.

But apparently that wasn't as much of a concern as she led me to believe.

Anyway, let me not get embroiled in the local politics here, those "Advisory Board" members sound pretty intimidating.

Much less intimidating than the Absinthe Mafia at the FV. ;)

The "wandering opportunist" who bought the bottle...had just as much right to buy the bottle as anyone else here.

This is perfectly true, and of course the seller had every right to dispose of her property as she saw fit. That said, if she indeed sold the bottle below its value then either she's not rational or she was somehow persuaded that she would do better to take the "bird in hand," for some reason. I had nothing to do with this, so I cannot say what really went on, but it does make a disinterested observer suspicious. I feel completely confident that Hiram and the board would have made good on their offer.

Strange business. Too bad about the bottle. As for the absinthe itself, well, I can always get another bottle of La Clandestine!

Advisory Board scary? I don't believe that for a moment.

Neither did I, when it came from Oxy.

I'm sure he just didn't feel the need to employ the all-too-obvious :sarc:.

Anyway, I'm glad this has all been elucidated, and put to rest.

I'll look forward to the next ultra-rarity, and hopefully the Advisory Board will have a better shot at that one. :cheers:

I'm sure he just didn't feel the need to employ the all-too-obvious :sarc:.

Of course. Nor did I think :laugh: was necessary. Oh, ;)

I'm not upset with Oxy. Heck, I'm not upset with anyone.

The "wandering opportunist" who bought the bottle is known to me: he's a knowledgeable vintage absinthe aficionado with several year's experience - and he had just as much right to buy the bottle as anyone else here.

He's known to many of us, and of course he had the right to buy it; I don't believe anyone is questioning anyone's rights.

As soon as it was known he'd showed an interest, he was contacted and informed of our hopeful plans for the bottle at the Museum. His complete silence said: "Screw you, I'm going to buy it for ... my own interests." Cary René will be very disappointed.

Cut-throat deals are made all the time. I don't believe anyone is claiming their rights were violated.

You're talking about the Absinthe Museum of America as if it was the Guggenheim or the Met. It's not. It's a couple of rooms created by René' adjacent to his shop in NO, set up for the purpose of attracting traffic to his business, which is effectively the "Museum" gift shop. It's an admirable venture, but with all due respect in ultimate purpose no different from something like the Virtual Absinthe Museum, an information resource expressly set up to draw on-line traffic to my commercial websites (for which reason by the way, I never have, and never would solicit donations).

The pious declarations here of how desperately you all wanted to buy the Pernod so that you could denote the empty bottle to the Museum ring hollow - the "Advisory Committee" wanted to buy it so that they could get to taste an unusual vintage absinthe, and preferably pay as little as possible. If you were prepared to pay "twice" what it sold for, presumably you think that this is what it's worth: in which case, since you were all motivated only by the purest altruism, why didn't you just offer the vendor this generous sum in the first place?

Edited by Oxygenee

Well, we gotta start someplace and small is where we start. Sorry if our beginnings are too humble for you, David.

Altruism was our only motivation.

So you're going to criticize us for thinking of others? That's just the way we work.