Sign in to follow this  
Funky D

If you could only have 3 absinthes...

Imagine, for a second, after having all the wonderful absinthe options we currently have on the market, all were taken away except for three. I know there are people out there that have trouble getting any absinthe because of their location or other factors, but many of us have probably gotten a little spoiled and couldn't imagine our absinthe collections having less than five or more varieties.

So, if you could only have three absinthes, which would they be and why? No, preban is not an option :) Here is my list:

1. Doubs Mystique. This was a hard choice! Although Doubs isn't the most balanced absinthe, it does have some great wormwood, and it's one of the few I've tasted with a bit of that "butterscotch" flavor found in preban. MOL or Jade Edouard were high on my list as a spicey first choice, but Doubs was also the first quality absinthe I ever had, and every time I take a sip I'm taken back to that moment... (as cheesy as that sounds!)

2. Pacifique. Another hard choice! I absolutely love the DP absinthes, and another part of me was tempted to throw in something non-traditional, but the delicate balance of herbs in Pacifique is a work of art.

3. Essai 5. I'll pick a verte over a blanche any day, but I could never give up blanches for good. Clandestine is usually my blanche of choice... maybe I'm picking the Essai because I've only had it a few times, but it's a very refreshing absinthe, and I'm a sucker for grape bases.

The thought of getting rid of my MOL, WW, and Jades is making me queasy, so I think I'll stop typing now :cheers:

So far out of the 15 I've sampled Excluding of course the 1914 Pernod_fils because it's pre-ban,

it would have to be:

I know you asked for three, but too bad! I simply couldn't comply! I simply wouldn't be able to survive with only three on my desert isle. You can blame Gilligan.

Meadow of Love

Marteau / Pacifique (dead even can't decide!)

La Clandestine Recette Marianne

Edited by sbmac

1) Clandestine

2) Serpis 65

3) This is a tough one, but definitely a verte.... I'd say probably a Matter absinthe such as Duplais or Mansinthe. I've only had Duplais once while I've had Mansinthe several times so I'm partial to the Mansinthe. My other choices were Taboo and WW but I've only had 1 bottle of WW and Taboo although good is a bit different, I wouldn't call it traditional tasting.

Reason for all: These are the absinthes I love drinking the most.

I haven't had enough, yet, but I really enjoy the Clandestine, Kübler, and Amerique 1912 Verte. I will be placing a sizeable order within the next few weeks or so from LdF so I'll have a more informed opinion soon.

Okay, I'm going to cheat:

1. PF 1901 or Doubs Mystique or Roquette 1797;

AND

2. Walton Waters or Marteau;

AND

3. La Clandestine or La P'tite.

Sorry.

I love these lists. Jade Edouard, Jade V.S. 1898, Jade Nouvelle Orleans. Deserted tropic island, eternal sunshine, spotless mind.

Going by what I've reviewed, PF 1901, Belle Amie, and Doubs. But then the one's not reviewed. I still haven't decided whether I prefer WW or MoL, one over the other. They're both great, and LP and CLB are great blanches. Spare is pretty good, and I still haven't opened a whole bunch more.

Imagine, for a second, after having all the wonderful absinthe options we currently have on the market, all were taken away except for three.

First, I can't imagine that for even a second. As for the three, I'd just weep. <sniff>

I like and want all my booze........both bottles. :devil:

today, anyway.
My opinion might change.
My three for the day.

Ain't that the truth :laugh: What's even worse, I find the longer I'm away from a bottle, the more I enjoy it when I pick it back up.

Oh, and all of you cheaters will be punished with a warm water louche :cheers:

1- Pernod 68

2- La Tourment Verte

3- Hill's

:thumbdown: , :puke: , & :poop: !

(Or, in the words of the Grinch theme song, and I quote, "stink, stank, stunk!)

:devil: