• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

I can't find the damned thread where Brian posted a link to where he acquired his humidor, which I didn't find, and I'm getting ready to buy another, and this time better, one. After all the cigar-related threads that I read, it would be nice to consolidate some favorite cigar-related links. I would start but I don't have any, and I would feel ashamed to start with a link to Google.

OK, I broke down and will post a link to the manufacturer of my cigar cutter:
www.xikar.com
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

Cool thread. Even though I rarely smoke cigars anymore, I still lovingly care for my aging stock.

Here are some links:

Cigar Oasis. Best active humidification mechanism I've ever found.

My humidor's link doesn't seem to work anymore. They might not sell it anymore. This is as close as I've found. Mine only has box trays though, no wine racks. Same size though.

Cigar.com. Very good selection of premium stuff. Great source for my favorite line, Gurkha.

Cigar Aficionado. Great for cigar reviews. Even has a virtual humidor for registered members. I highly recommend a subscription to the magazine too.

Thompson Cigar. Great prices. Lots of seconds, but also has some deals on special editions and such.

Make Scents of Cigars. For those looking to educate their palate.

Promo Cigars. The Finest and Rarest of Cigars.

/cigardork
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

Thanks.

I like Thompson too. However, a couple cigar smoking peeps I know turned their noses up when I mention them. Their Belmondo Pyramid was pretty good, as well as a green label maduro. However, I didn't like their humidors because it seemed like they couldn't keep the humidity in.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

My cabinet humidor came from them. Has worked wonderfully. However, I do use the Cigar Oasis, which would make any humidor work well, I guess.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

I smoked tonight after a crazy two days at work. I tried the Nub Connecticut for the first time, which I found fairly decent, although there were some burn issues. Now I feel all nicotiney buzzed. :twitchsmile:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#6 JoeyBear

JoeyBear

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

I had an LFD double ligero Chisel maduro tonight, after parent teacher night. It was spectacular.

Favorite sites:

www.puff.com
www.cigaroutcast.com
www.cigarsinternational.com
www.cigarasylum.com
www.cigarbiz.net

If you know what you're looking for but maybe not where to find it, let me know. I have a few connections in the industry. If anyone ever needs a cigar bomb, let me know. I have more than I'll ever smoke :)

#7 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

I'm still quite new to the cigar world. This past Winter I broke down and bought my first humidor (had been planning to do so for years), and began reading and learning about different smokes. I'm still learning about my own tastes, which currently lean more toward the mild to medium bodied options. If anyone has any suggestions for cigars that I might like, lay them on me!

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#8 JoeyBear

JoeyBear

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Tamp humidors and bargain humidors are also very good for humidors.

#9 JoeyBear

JoeyBear

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

I'm still quite new to the cigar world. This past Winter I broke down and bought my first humidor (had been planning to do so for years), and began reading and learning about different smokes. I'm still learning about my own tastes, which currently lean more toward the mild to medium bodied options. If anyone has any suggestions for cigars that I might like, lay them on me!

Oliva make excellent mild/medium cigars. Rocky Patel Edges and Edge Lites are also quite tasty.

#10 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

I will keep those in mind. I've had the RP Vintage 1992 a few years back and liked it.

#11 brennivin

brennivin

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

+1 to cigar.com & cigarsinternational.com

And I'll add:

Cheap Humidors - as a good place for humi's and some accessories

And my fave brick and mortar (sadly for me, in Portland):

Rich's

#12 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

I found Thompson to a bit high on price, just that I've always been able to find what I was looking for cheaper elsewhere. Lately I've been going to Jack Schwartz a lot. Get on their e-mail listing and you'll have a chance to get first shot at a lot of sticks that are on the hard to find. Also, if you like the cigars they carry, New Havana Cigars has a similar first shot at a lot of new stuff that's hard to find. Plus the way they ship the samplers is pretty cool, vacuum sealed with a small humidifying element inside.

#13 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

I've stumbled across this one:

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/

#14 JerseyVerte

JerseyVerte

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Might I suggest Cigars International...best prices I've ever seen, super fast shipment, never been disappointed
Love, Laugh, Smile, Care - And leave the planet better than you found it. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

#15 Legba

Legba

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

Torano Exodus 59. Good price, great smoke.

#16 Legba

Legba

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

#17 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Long ago, before the "boom", I used to order from a place called Famous - I think they're probably still around - used to get a box of Fuente 858s for.....wait for it....like $50. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Lately I've been ordering from J&R Cigar:

www.jrcigars.com

Lew Rothman (the man behind J&R Cigars) is quite the character, has been in the industry for ages, and always seeks to offer the best prices.

#18 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, Jr's here too.
Famous got a little high priced I think.
Though Famous and Holt's do have some good specials..

#19 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

I've pretty much quit buying cigars, unless I get either an interesting offer from one of the links above or a deal on Padron 1926, Fuente Anejo or Opus. I still get around to having one with my morning coffee most days. One of these days I may try one with absinthe, but my preference is rum, scotch or cognac; in that order.

#20 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

If you want Anejo or Opus X, let me know. I've got a humidor full of em and they won't get much use out of me. They've been aging for several years in an optimum environment.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#21 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

I think we sort of went down this road before. Can't spring for boxes, but I'm partial to the Anejo Nos. 49 and 77, as well as the Opus X Super Belicoso, Belicoso XXX and Reserva D' Chateau Rare Estate Reserve 1992.

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

I don't need to sell them by the box. Just let me know if you ever want to replenish your stash. Whether it be 1 or 100. No matter.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#23 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Damn it Shabba!!!!
:wave2:

#24 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:42 AM

I'd just like to have the empty cigar boxes.

<------ yep. strange as he appears. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#25 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

I don't need to sell them by the box. Just let me know if you ever want to replenish your stash. Whether it be 1 or 100. No matter.

This could go in the What Pissed Me Off section, now that a certain magazine has rated one of my favorite smokes as #3 it seems that they have all vanished. Got any Opus X Belicoso XXX on hand?

#26 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

I believe I still have a full box. Let me know how many you need.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#27 Hiril_Galen

Hiril_Galen

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Does anyone know of a good mild cigar that would go well with a glass of absinthe? On the rare occasion I smoke a cigar (and it is truly rare), I usually drink brandy, cognac or a good bourbon (especially with a maduro).

Edited to add: while I'm at it, I need to find a place that sells just one or two cigars, since I don't smoke nearly often enough to justify purchasing more than that.

Edited by Hiril_Galen, 18 February 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#28 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Not that I've smoked a lot of candela wrappers, but the Illusione hl Candela is the best I've tried. And in answer to last post, this company sells singles and 5-packs, the range they carry is limited, but they have Tatuaje, Illusione, and Don Pepin lines along with the lines these have spawned and have the hard to find items associated with them.

#29 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,716 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

I might only smoke one cigar with absinthe every couple of years (if that), but when I do, it's usually a Dunhill Esplendido. They're aged for seven years, so they're really pricey (about $50 or a bit more a pop), but if you're celebrating something special with a fine absinthe, cognac, armagnac, or scotch, they're the perfect accompaniment.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#30 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

That is a wonderful smoke.
"Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association