Sparky113

Absinthe-Minded on "Skepticality" Podcast

I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet, but a search didn't turn anything up.

I found out about this forum - and the truth about absinthe - from Cheryl Lins (aka "Dakini") and her appearance on the Skepticality podcast. You can find the show notes here:

http://www.skepticality.com/notes/sn_Ep115.php

The "listen" link from the show notes doesn't seem to be working, so you can download the podcast directly from here:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/skepticality...kepticality.mp3

If you're not into skepticism, you can skip the introductory stuff and begin with the host's recounting of the history of absinthe around 3:22. The interview with Cheryl Lins (from the Delaware-Phoenix Distillery, and maker of Walton Waters and Meadow of Love) begins at around 18:00. I found the whole thing really informative, and a great primer for anyone who is becoming interested in absinthe.

I thought Dakini and the nice interviewer did a fine job, no question. The lady made a slight mistake in saying Dakini was the only female distiller in the US/World. I'm not completely sure of Sonya's role at North Shore and I believe Gaudentia Persoz (La P'tite) was the first female absinthe distiller in contemporary times. But that's just quibbling over small points of an excellent podcast.

(I've got a pretty good idea who the next female absinthe distiller will be, though. ;) )

But can she cook? You know how she likes to wander off into the wormwood patch. *devil grin*

The podcast was nicely done. Someone definitely did their homework. Both Dakini and the interviewer did a splendid job. :cheers:

That would be my interview with Cheryl on my podcast, Skepticality. I hadn't specifically posted anything about the interview I did with Cheryl here on the forums, as I'm still in the scheme of things a new member of the WWS, I felt it would have been sort of self serving to advertise the interview here. But I am glad that it came up organically as a by-product of someone coming to the WWS because of it, which was part of the point.

Thanks though for all the kind comments, it was a lot of fun to do and Cheryl was amazing to talk to (as anyone who has talked to her at all, knows well). I tried to get a lot of good facts in there, but of course there is so much more to absinthe history past, present and hopefully future that there wasn't really time to devote to including everything I would have wanted to. I hope to perhaps revisit the topic again some day. I received a lot of positive feedback from our regular listeners about the interview after it was posted and I know at least a few people who are now becoming absinthe connoisseurs who were, previously uninterested.

Big props here go to Cheryl for inspiring that episode of our podcast.

- Robynn (aka Swoopy, co-host of Skepticality: The Official Podcast of Skeptic Magazine)

But can she cook?

Booze-cookin' is more important, innit? :twitchsmile: <-hey, what happened to twitchsmilie face?

I received a lot of positive feedback from our regular listeners about the interview after it was posted and I know at least a few people who are now becoming absinthe connoisseurs who were, previously uninterested.

:thumbup:

Robynn, just gotta say, it's a fantastic interview, but maybe even better, it's a fantastic whole program because of the other cool stuff you added before and after the DP interview, and best of all, it's a fantastic show that I got turned on to because of absinthe! Whew!

Edited by speedle