Gwydion Stone

Jade Edouard - Final Release

My fetishes also extend to tigers, lions, elephants, buffaloes, donkeys, giraffes, octopuses, rhinoceroses, pugs, moose, and Jade lab samples -- how I lub those lab samples -- oh the lab samples -- have I told you 'bout the Jade lab samples?

Well, I don't know about the ageing thing on the Jades but I just emptied the last of a year old bottle of the first D.P of Verte Suisse and that one aged very fine along the way.

Does anyone here have an opened bottle of the 2nd DP of the Verte Suisse that hasn't sinked it? How is it? I have heard that it ages poorly. I still do not understand this concept of a distilled spirit getting worse with time. If it's bad when it's new I can see how it may not get better but...

Olive Oil ages,

a distilled spirit like absinthe contains oils from the herbs

that were in it (that's what gives you your louche).

They're going to age, some age wonderfully,

some don't. Why? I don't know.

But in some cases it happens fast and not well.

I haven't had a Jade product around long enough to say.

Anyone tried using wine preserver on an open bottle. Argon, Carbon Dioxide, and Nitrogen.

I have a bottle of it but haven't tried it on Absinthe.

Stroller, search feeverte about that. They had a thread I recall..

My DP#2 VS65 is still unopened, so I am not so much concerned about preserving it. I'm just worried that when I do get around to opening it, am I going to be greeted with a bottle of motor oil.

I've used this stuff wine enthusiast sells called Private Preserve and it works great on wine. I've also used it to stop further deterioration on Pernod Fils Tarragona and that seemed to work.

Some wine purists say it can impact the taste of the wine, but my unsophisticated wine palate hasn't noticed any ill effects.

Just tried the final release Jade Edouard (bottled June 2005 like Hiram's) and I agree with Hiram. It is a distinct improvement over the distiller's proof. The acrid nutty funk I noticed in the DP is gone, and the aroma of the alcohol base is more subdued, which makes me think the two flaws may have gone hand in hand. It actually smells quite good neat now whereas before I thought it was stinky. One complaint is the intensity of the alcohol bite of the final Edouard is actually harsher than I remember the DP being, but the final release is better balanced overall and has new subtleties I didn't notice in the DP. Who knows what adjustments were made, but whatever they were, they were for the best.

Although I admire Ted for educating people about absinthe, I think his absinthe is way over-rated.

Color: 4

Correct, average, but unremarkable.

Louche: 3

Nothing grabbed me, but it louched. It's different from the others I've tried because it didn't have that swirly cloud effect, it gradually clouded up equally throughout the glass.

Aroma: 3

Peculiar is fitting, and the aroma matches the flavor.

Flavor: 3

There's definitely a spiciness to it. What gets me is the musty aspect, like an old abandoned house. It's too reminiscent of the time I half-ate a Hot Pocket that had green carpet inside.

Finish: 3

Definitely present, but unremarkable. Not sure if the batch I had was different from the one mentioned in the other thread inquiring if Ted changed the formula, but mine, dated Oct 06, has a prominent alcohol burn - which doesn't compliment the musty flavor and aroma.

Overall: 3

Acceptable, but that rustic taste and aroma turns me off.