Sign in to follow this  
Funky D

Monkey Gland?

How much grenadine and absinthe do you cats use? The recipe here calls for 3 dashes... I consider a dash about 3-4 drops, so I just gave her a small splash from the bottle. My drink is no where near as red as the one shown in the cocktail guide though... more of a peach color.

Tasty, although the absinthe is baaarreelly there. I used Sirène... I've found it compliments gin pretty well, at least in obituaries. I could see VC being a good fit as well, but my bottle is almost empty :thumbdown: For gin I used Rehorst Milwaukee Gin, and I highly recommend it to all of you gin lovers. You can order online from Binny's.

Well, in the time it took to write this, my glass is gone... I suppose I should experiment some more :twitchsmile:

:cheers:

I love a good Monkey Gland. The recipe I go by:

1.5oz fresh squeezed OJ

1.5oz gin

1 teaspoon absinthe

1 teaspoon grenadine

but in reality I often add about 1.3 teaspoons of grenadine and sometimes that much absinthe too. My ultimate Monkey Gland combo is easily Pacifique and Voyager, but I could see Sirene or VC working well also.

As far as color goes, it heavily depends on what kind of grenadine you're using. If you're using commercial grenadine (I recommend Stirrings with Fee Bros. a distant second), you should end up with a fairly bright pink color. However, if you make your own (which I think is best flavor wise), it really only adds just tint of dark red to the orange juice.

I haven't made one yet, but I'll give it a whirl when I sit down for a minute at home.

The recipe here calls for 3 dashes... I consider a dash about 3-4 drops

Dash

How much grenadine and absinthe do you cats use? The recipe here calls for 3 dashes... I consider a dash about 3-4 drops so I just gave her a small splash from the bottle.

Depends on the dasher, but splash is bigger than a dash. Old fashioned dashers such as were in use when these cocktails were created will give you around 1/4 teaspoon per dash.

My drink is no where near as red as the one shown in the cocktail guide though... more of a peach color.
That depends on the grenadine and how much you use. Most common grenadines such as Rose's are artificially colored and make a drink much brighter red. They're also not true grenadines and are really no more than red simple syrup with some nondescript fruit flavoring added.

With the cocktail revival in full swing, more brands of real pomegranate grenadine are popping up, and Jeff Morganthaler has a great recipe for making your own.

Tasty, although the absinthe is baaarreelly there.

Which is precisely as it should be in most cocktails that call for absinthe. In most cases its role in a cocktail is not to add a pronounced anise flavor, but to act as a catalyst with other flavors.

Absinthe really ties a cocktail together.

Thanks for the tips... these were a hit this past weekend with friends (although there were a few snide remarks about the girlish color :laugh: )

Unfortunately I only had access to Rose's grenadine at the time, but I now have a bottle of pomegranate waiting for me in the fridge, and I'll whip up some more proper drinks next weekend! :cheers:

Had a few of these tonight; they are devilishly delicious and refreshing. Almost... too refreshing; before you know it, you are halfway through a bottle of gin and are surrounded by orange rinds!