Sign in to follow this  
pololover

small vintage bottle

It's garbage. Send it to me for proper disposal.

Kidding. Is that the original contents? The reason I ask is that I don't see anything sealing the bottle.

And allow me to nudge you to read the stuff in my sig line and introduce yourself in the Necomer section so we can welcome you proper-like.

Cheers.

Welcome Pololover. You have two options:

1. Go to the newcomers introduction section and start a thread so we can welcome you all proper to the Wormwood Society.

2. Send that little bottle to me so I can run some proper tests to give you a good estimate of what its true value is. Don't worry, I'll even cover shipping costs. ;)

Edit: Dammit. Too slow. I hate answering telephones.

Edit:Edit: Pololover is going to think the Advisory Board is out to get him! :laugh:

Insurance dude with a refund check due me or I wouldn't have taken his call, either. ;)

I'll pour you an extra drink or two the next time we meet. :cheers:

Please do not drink this without a complete appreciation for what you have in your possession. Absinthes of this age and quality are an absolute rarity, demanding hundreds of dollars per ounce, these days.

I say drink up! It's true that you have some rare booze on your hands, so it would be wise to do a little research on proper absinthe preparation (no fire) first.

As far as the price goes, it's not worth nearly as much as some may lead you to believe. It's true that pre-ban Pernod Fils that's been stored correctly is quite rare and expensive, but that's when it's coming from a reputable source. No offense, but when a new guy shows up with an opened mini bottle, it's not worth much at all. That's why I think you'd be better off drinking it.

As it was a gift to you, maybe you could find a friend who likes absinthe and share it with them. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Pernod Fils was considered top shelf back in the day and when stored correctly, pre-ban Pernod Fils is still one of the best absinthes in existence.

P.S. If you are looking to make a buck, you could sell the empty bottle. There are people that collect the bottles.

Edited by Phoenix

I don't think he's trying to sell it. He seems to just want to know about the bottle (brand), and found his way to the Wormwood Society. Or perhaps I'm reading his post wrong?

In order to answer the question though, it's French. And Pierre gave a very good estimation on age. I think we'd all be curious just to know how it managed to find it's way into your home! Try walking the steps backward. Find out where your friend acquired it, and so on. Those are normally in collections here in the states, whereas in Europe it's not uncommon to find a bottle or two in a forgotten cellar.

you are correct Ron ... selling it wasn't on my agenda , I just thought I could get a little info on it before drinking it all up :) I like absinthe but am not anyway as enthusiastic for this old stuff as you people here , ill post a few more pics when i pour myself another glass if anyone is interested in seeing ...

I don't think he's trying to sell it.
you are correct Ron ... selling it wasn't on my agenda

Then this thread may be in the wrong section of the forum.....just sayin'.

Edited by Phoenix

you are correct Ron ... selling it wasn't on my agenda , I just thought I could get a little info on it before drinking it all up :) I like absinthe but am not anyway as enthusiastic for this old stuff as you people here , ill post a few more pics when i pour myself another glass if anyone is interested in seeing ...

You have to understand my friends. We have had plenty of people on this forum that joined just to make a profit. A bit protective of ourselves, but for a reason.

Don't burn it, huff it or spill it.

There. with that out of the way let me add my congratulations to the rest. You are one lucky guy! Thanks for sharing the photos too. Love to see the louche when you get a chance. :cheers:

Congratulations and congratulations again on a great find, however you got it. Make sure you savor every drop. I've had dreams of finding an old bottle like this in an abandoned bar or a friend's house who didn't know what they had...and then weaseling it out of their possession, somehow. ;)

Edited by precenphix

But how did it taste? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but what have you tried for other absinthe to compare this against?