• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

I sampled both of these last night at a 3:1 ratio, half a dose (0.5 oz) with half a sugar, slow drip from a fountain, ice cold filtered chlorine-free water at 7.5 ph.

I'll be describing from the perspective of the PF 1901 vs. the pre-ban 1914.

This came very close, and is a respectful homage to the pre-ban Pernod Fils. I'd say the area where they nailed it was the louche. It formed exactly the same way, at the same pace, clouded and layered exactly the same way...In the end even the color was the same, despite the pf 1901 being greener than the light gold/amber pre-louche color of the pre-ban. The louche was a tiny bit denser in the PF 1901, but so very very close.

The aroma and flavor shared the same judgement from me...close, but heavier and a bit earthier than the pre-ban, which was just so balanced and rounded it was amazing. This could be due to 96 years of aging, I suppose we'll never know for sure unless we can REALLY go back in time. (The closet we get to doing that is looking up at stars, turning pages in old books, watching great old films, and drinking vintage spirits!) I found the PF 1901 to have the same big warm wormwood in the flavor, but it was a bit more pungent ... not as refined. I may not have felt this way were I not comparing the two side by side. It also had a tad of alcohol heat, where I noticed none in the pre-ban.

The finish was fairly close...I'd say this was 2nd best homage after the louche took 1st place. Again, a heavier hand across the board, and perhaps aging would lessen this. It did however have the same refined, powdery finish and light tang on the tongue at the very end that I noticed with the 1914 Pernod Fils.

Final word, this new bottle gets about an 85% success rating from me as a tribute to the benchmark pre-ban. My hunch is if I went 4:1 with the PF 1901, and kept the pre-ban at 3:1, that it would have been about 90% match in spirit! I'll never know, as I plan on honoring/enjoying/savoring the rest of the pre-ban sample I have on its own. Who knows, with a bit of aging, the Jade may slide up even a bit more. Nonetheless, a noble and well thought out effort!

Edited by sbmac, 28 February 2010 - 10:43 AM.

#2 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

Interesting...almost everything you describe in favor of the pre-ban could be ascribed to the aging process. That equates to high praise indeed for the Jade, and it makes me want to lay some away for the next generation. Imagine what it will be like in 2110....
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,556 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hopefully, the wormwood will be more forward.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

Excellent comparison...
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#5 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Hopefully, the wormwood will be more forward.

And hopefully the funk goes away.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#6 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,714 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

A little bass never hurt anyone.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#7 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Nothing wrong with a little base, but the base is just too intense/ pungent with that stuff for my tastes.

My stupid facebutt page.

#8 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

I agree...The sample that was sent to me was much finer than that of the bottle I just bought, which is a bit funkier. Perhaps the sample had aged a bit. I'm hoping the funkiness will abate in not too much time....

#9 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

The base never affected me in the "Jade funk" way, but I would definitely agree with intense/pungent (though it has many peers in this regard, some of which are even more intense).

Even though that aspect makes it a less-than-ideal absinthe, I actually like it. The flavor makes me think "old world Europe", even if Pernod fils used more refined grape spirits in the preban days. I wonder if part of that has been until the last couple of years, like most in the mainstream US, I had no idea what good booze was really all about, and had been used to drinking mediocre commercial grain or beet based spirits (which is not to say grain or beet spirits are inherently inferior, just many industrial ones happen to be so).

Reason for edit: spelling and clarification

Edited by Green Baron, 01 March 2010 - 02:44 PM.

This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#10 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

I agree...The sample that was sent to me was much finer than that of the bottle I just bought, which is a bit funkier. Perhaps the sample had aged a bit. I'm hoping the funkiness will abate in not too much time....

If that bottle was just opened, I think you should have perceptible abatement of funk in a week or two.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#11 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

My experience with Jade absinthes is the funk only gets more intense over time; after about two years drinking my Jade NO was a jarring experience because the general flavours had mixed and melded in really interesting ways, but the funk had become so overpowering that it didn't matter.

I still don't get the love for PF1901, though. :) To me it's the least distinctive Jade, but most funky. When I first tasted it all I could say was, "Yeah, that's a Jade, alright." The only one I'd pay money for is Edouard. It's not that the things I don't like are not present in that one, it's that they somehow make sense and work for it; I don't know why.

I haven't had any Jade bottled after 2007, so my tasting experience may be out of date. And I'm in the minority when it comes to not liking PF1901 anyway.

My stupid facebutt page.

#12 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

Without personal opinions....we'd have no discussions. It's cool ain't it. *smile*

The power of suggestion is powerful also. I love it!

I smell lemons. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#13 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

Without personal opinions....we'd have no discussions. It's cool ain't it. *smile*

I smell lemons. :cheers:

:biggrin:
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#14 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

I really try to avoid the power of suggestion. I hate the attitude that the Jades have to suck because they're expensive, or because people disagree with Ted about other issues, or because it's pretentious to call them "clones." I also hate the attitude that they have to be awesome because they're expensive, or because they're supposedly "clones" or because Ted is so awesome. I really enjoy one of them, like another, dislike yet another, and usually forget the fourth even exists.

My stupid facebutt page.

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

A few months ago, Ron and I sat down and sipped some Jade products, among other products. I view each absinthe with the same attitude. I drink what I'm in the mood for. I'll try all sorts of decent absinthe.
The review section is quite a good tool for all to use. There are days that a Jade is the ticket and there are days when BdA #'s 1-5 may feel apprpriate.
Yesterday I threw a "normally good" drink into the sink. It just wasn't hitting the spot. I knew it was good but it just didn't work for me and down the drain it went. I broke my taster a few months ago on some hot booze and I'm not fully healed yet. It's not good having a broke taster. Makes me want to drink water! ICK!!!!

But, when the PF 1901 first came out, I felt it was about as close to the 1914 Pernod Fils as I had sipped.

Needless to say, I'm not sipping pre-ban for awhile......or anything of outstanding quality. Why waste it on a bad palate.

<shrug>
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#16 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

*shrug* Still can't pick up the 'Jade Funk'.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#17 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Brian, I'm wondering if it's batch and or age specific, as the sample I got from a kind WSer was amazing,
but the bottle I bought had a slight funky bite. The sample was aged 5 years.

#18 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

I still don't get the love for PF1901, though. :) To me it's the least distinctive Jade, but most funky. When I first tasted it all I could say was, "Yeah, that's a Jade, alright." The only one I'd pay money for is Edouard. It's not that the things I don't like are not present in that one, it's that they somehow make sense and work for it; I don't know why.

I haven't had any Jade bottled after 2007, so my tasting experience may be out of date. And I'm in the minority when it comes to not liking PF1901 anyway.

Me Also I do like the '06 edouard over '06 PF1901 . I had two bottle of 1901 , the first was good but nothing spectacular , and the second ('07) was less good so why I don't want to purschase Pf1901 anymore because for the same price edouard is better and in the same style
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#19 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

Not everyone can taste Jade funk. Like Gwydion has said before, it's a genetic thing. My sensitivity to it has only increased over the past three years. I also taste it in some absinthes not made by Ted, such as Blanche de Fougerolles. Sometimes I consider it acceptable (meaning not overly distracting) and sometimes it destroys the drink for me.

The simple fact is people treat the Jades differently than other brands of absinthe, even before they try them for the first time. The assumption is that they're the best and that they're clones of preban absinthe. I just disagree on both points.

If we're just having a conversation about relative quality of absinthe brands, I consider certainly them top shelf. Just not the holy grail like they're treated as (which I'd argue is as much due to hype as their own qualities).

My stupid facebutt page.

#20 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

Brian, I'm wondering if it's batch and or age specific, as the sample I got from a kind WSer was amazing,
but the bottle I bought had a slight funky bite. The sample was aged 5 years.

I've imbibed upon significant amounts of Jade product, both aged and unaged, including quite a bit of new stuff at Tales over the past couple of years. Still never picked it up.

I chalk it up to individual sensitivities to individual herbs or base alcohol. Same thing happens with a lot of people who are sensitive to coriander, where they pick up a significant soapy flavor, due to specific enzymes present in a small percentage of the population.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

they're clones of preban absinthe.

It's impossible to be a direct clone, regardless of production process and herb bill without the ability to age it 100 years.

The closest approximation to a vintage 'clone' that I've tasted came from Stefano.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

The only time I really think I have ever tasted anything that could be described as a "funk" in a Jade product was sampling Greune Fee's bottle of Eddy. It had a sort of off flavor to me. Never tasted a funk before, though.

Interestingly, I *did* taste a really pronounced funk in an early batch of La Muse d'Absinthe (I think that's what it was called? Luc's label. Around 2005.) At first, I couldn't really drink it. After about a year on the shelf, the funk was entirely gone, however, and I was left with what ended up being quite a nice drink.

#23 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

The bottle is still quite good, don't get me wrong. I was quite surprised however in the difference between the sample and my bottle. The 5 years may be the reason. One was clean and delicicous, the other a bit earthy and darker. This difference for all I know, may not be the "funk" that you are discussing. The bottle is a bit less tasty and smooth than the small sample I received.

Edited by sbmac, 01 March 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#24 peridot

peridot

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

One was clean and delicicous, the other a bit earthy and darker.

Huh. I've never tasted a Jade absinthe that I'd consider "clean" tasting. Your description of "earthy and dark" is exactly what I think of, regarding the overall Jade character, and it's very intense to me. But that's not what I think of when it comes to funk; I'm talking about a taste that is very similar to the smell of human male armpit stink. Or also kind of like cumin seed.

My stupid facebutt page.

#25 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Yikes. None of the samples I tried, nor the bottle have that element...sorry to say that one of my clients today did however :laugh: Thanks for clarifying.

Perhaps we should avoid the brand "Absinthe du Aisselle" for this reason...... :twitchsmile:

Edited by sbmac, 01 March 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#26 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

VP shares the same funk, not a bad thing, as the Jade products. Perhaps I shouldn't use "funk" as much as it shares an earthiness, mushroom, forest floor, moist rich soil or musty character. It's similar in all but different in all as well. I know that doesn't make sense but VP reminds me of Jades.
One friend said that VP had a honey aroma. That didn't make sense to me but when I brought him a dose of VP without telling him what it was, he told me what he thought it was. I know it isn't an amazing feat for some but he was spot on.
This thread defines why I struggle with writing reviews. We all want to be right and that's a good thing but we are all different and that's a terrific thing. If I like something I say I like it but I may not be able to express what or why.

To different tastes, :cheers:

:wave2:

#27 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

I understand what you mean, but somehow I think the differences in our filters balance out if there are enough reviews done on an absinthe. You can glean what you will from them, and come to find certain people share your palate, letting their reviews guide you. I struggle to be as clear as possible with my reviews, but who knows if the next guy in line will detect the same things or use the same descriptors....

I agree with your assessment of the VP...it has a slight earthy edge, but it is not unpleasant in any way, at least not to me.

#28 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,556 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

My experience with Jade absinthes is the funk only gets more intense over time

I hear that.

I can't even imagine the result of a century of its languishing.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#29 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

I broke my taster a few months ago on some hot booze and I'm not fully healed yet. It's not good having a broke taster. Makes me want to drink water! ICK!!!!

So you were one of those fiends that was setting absinthe on fire that I read about in the Times!!! :devil:

I tried Jade NO and Jade VS when they first came out, when the VS came in a label-less green bottle with a gold sticker on them. I really liked them both, the NO more than the VS but that was to be accepted since I had only sampled several brands of absinthe at that time.

Now, I will drink a Jade if it is offered to me but I will not buy them. Unless they become more readily available to me at a lower price. The reason for this is because there are many great brands of absinthe that I really enjoy drinking that I can get for a much lower price. Brands such as CLB, Taboo, Serpis, Kübler, Obsello and Mansinthe. I know some of these are mediocre brands to some but I enjoy drinking all of them very much. I know the Jades are good but will my drinking experience really be that much better from drinking a Jade as opposed to one of the brands listed above, and at the price difference? The same goes for Whiskey for me. I am very happy drinking $40-$60 bottles of whisky. Willl spending twice as much money really make the experience that much better?

Don't get me wrong. I want to try as much as possible. I'm just saying that the Jades nor any other brand (besides preban) are not the holy grail of absinthe. If you have an opportunity to try them then that's great, but don't go bustin' balls or your wallet thinking you haven't tried absinthe unless you've tried a Jade.

#30 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

I agree that the price is way up there, and that there are great absinthes for less...Pacifique, Marteau, VC and The offerings from Delaware Phoenix for example. I can't see spending over $100 on a bottle with absinthes as wonderful as these available for less. I am also very impressed by VP at a very good price from DUNY! I'm interested in trying Obsello as well.

Edited by sbmac, 01 March 2010 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association