• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

As I study aroma-therapy in my spare time, I can attest to healing properties of thujone in herbs and essential oils. It is a component of Blue Tansy, which I use often to help rashes and eczema. I found this interesting and thought I'd share it. Sage oil is also used in aroma therapy and has powerful healing properties. As absinthe was first made for medicinal purposes, not of this can be cooincidence!

I have no opinion of the validity, or quality of this supplement...I just thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.herbalext...om/wormwood.cfm
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#2 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Absinthe helps alleviate my wife's MS symptoms ( numbness, pins and needles, burning sensations).
Powdered wormwood in capsule form doesn't seem to help.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#3 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

I know that thujone is largely left behind in the still when making absinthe, and is in such small quantity in the absinthe that from what I've read it's likely the more ethanol-philic compounds in the A.a. that helped with gastrointestinal ailments. Well, the ethanol-philic parts of most of the other herbs, too, as they are also good for digestion AFAIK. I could be wrong on some of the details, though.

The way of making essential oils may be different (hydro-distilling?), so different compounds would be captured in the distillate.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#4 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:52 AM

Many essential oils are steam distilled. Others are pressed, and few are extracted with chemicals. Steam and pressed are the methods which leave oils in their best therapeutic condition. I have never sen wormwood supps before, and frankly would need to do a lot of research before I would consider them in any use, as supplements are not regulated, and you can pretty much make a claim about them unchecked.
That doesn't mean they don't do what they say, but this is chemistry and medicine, and you still need to be careful what you put in your body!

As far as digestion and upset tummy...licorice has and still is being used for gastro disorders so with absinthe, it could be the anise and fennel helping as well. Think about it...it was made as a medical tonic originally...anise, fennell and wormwood.....digestive system magic...most of out immune system lives in our gut. I'm sure there's no coincidence that people find absinthe settling. I am convinced that in a non alcohol tea form, absinthe would a powerful boost to our systems in general. Hmmm....anyone want to help me make some absinthe tea?

Edited by sbmac, 28 February 2010 - 05:56 AM.

-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#5 dillon

dillon

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Many essential oils are steam distilled. Others are pressed, and few are extracted with chemicals. Steam and pressed are the methods which leave oils in their best therapeutic condition. I have never sen wormwood supps before, and frankly would need to do a lot of research before I would consider them in any use, as supplements are not regulated, and you can pretty much make a claim about them unchecked.
That doesn't mean they don't do what they say, but this is chemistry and medicine, and you still need to be careful what you put in your body!

As far as digestion and upset tummy...licorice has and still is being used for gastro disorders so with absinthe, it could be the anise and fennel helping as well. Think about it...it was made as a medical tonic originally...anise, fennell and wormwood.....digestive system magic...most of out immune system lives in our gut. I'm sure there's no coincidence that people find absinthe settling. I am convinced that in a non alcohol tea form, absinthe would a powerful boost to our systems in general. Hmmm....anyone want to help me make some absinthe tea?

For digestion, it is the anise that helps. A wide array of liquors that use anise are traditionally used to aid in digestion.

#6 Ian McCarthy

Ian McCarthy

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

I have taken wormwood in capsule form as a verbifuge for an intestinal parasite. It did the trick, but did not make me feel very good in the process.

It is not something you want to take on a daily basis. As far as herbs taken for medicinal action are concerned, wormwood was one of the more serious I played with. I would only ever take it again in medicinal quantity if I knew I had an un-pleasant critter in the gut.

As far as Steam v. alcohol goes. Maude Grieves wrote in the modern herbal: "The essential oil of the herb is used as a worm-expeller, the spirituous extract being preferable to that distilled in water"

Why that is? Who knows...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association