Sign in to follow this  
demise1893

Greetings! Some great information here

I'm glad I found this place before purchasing absinthe for the first time. It's good to see you don't have to spend a ton of cash to get a decent bottle.

I've noticed though, that the discussion here is pretty much about the taste & quality of absinthe. Generally speaking, does everyone here ignore thujone count in the absinthe they choose to purchase? If an absinthe exploits the thujone count, is it generally a marketing ploy?

Yes. Please see the FAQS.

Thujone is not a narcotic either. Thujone, the primary volatile oil in wormwood, is present in only in very small amounts in absinthe and is negligible in its effects. The current "high-thujone" and "strong" hype on many sites selling absinthe (usually absinth) is merely a marketing gimmick aimed at the gullible in search of a new high. Thujone's role in the so-called "secondary effect" is greatly exaggerated, as are the secondaries themselves. Thujone is not a narcotic either.

I'm glad I found this place before purchasing absinthe for the first time. It's good to see you don't have to spend a ton of cash to get a decent bottle.

It will cost you close to $150.00 to get a bottle of Absinthe Edouard delivered to your door. I think that is a ton of cash.

Why would one pay attention to anything other than the taste and quality of something one drinks? If you spend anytime here you will see that Absinthe is not about thujone.

Welcome aboard!

:cheers:

Tasting various types and varieties of absinthe is definitely my most expensive thing presently, but it's also pretty great. You don't have to spend a ton (like the Edouard, though I'd say that it is the best) to get a decent bottle. If you look at the cost of a bottle, that can hurt but if you break it down per drink you'll see that it's really not all that bad and on the lower spectrum in terms of cost are some very good selections. See Hiram's ARTICLE ON ABSINTHE COST for more on that. Note that his figures include shipping on one bottle. Buy two or three bottles in one order and that shipping part of the cost overall goes down.

And, no, it's not about the thujone. If it was, we'd all be drinking King of Spirits Gold. And, as far as I know, that's not on a single member's preferred list here.

Hello and welcome, demise. Just curious... where did you get your information before coming here? Beginning my own absinthe research only fairly recently, I have yet to read any discussion groups on the net where anyone who brings up the subject of thujones is not instantly lambasted.

Beginning my own absinthe research only fairly recently, I have yet to read any discussion groups on the net where anyone who brings up the subject of thujones is not instantly lambasted.

You obviously haven't checked out THIS thread and the goodies on other forums that were turned up. Most of them seem to me to be college kids looking for the newest way to get high and want to come off as "connoisseurs" of absinthe. Yeah, right...

You obviously haven't checked out THIS thread...

Oh yes I have... I just had no interest in following the links. Mainly, I'm curious as to why someone looking for legitimate information would gravitate to one of those sites as opposed to a place like FV. :huh:

Mainly, I'm curious as to why someone looking for legitimate information would gravitate to one of those sites as opposed to a place like FV.  :huh:

I would wager because they're looking for a place that will tell them what they want to hear.

You guys might get a kick out of this email. This is from originalabsinthe.com; I put King Gold in the shopping cart to see if it would convert English pounds to U.S. dollars.

(It didn't btw). They sent me a follow-up email asking wtf...

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for stopping by Absinthe Original and considering us for your purchase. We noticed that during a visit to our store you placed the following item(s) in your shopping cart, but did not complete the transaction.

Shopping Cart Contents:

1 x Absinthe King Gold

[www.originalabsinthe.com/product_info.php?products_id=56]www.originalabsinthe.com/product_in...?products_id=56[/url]

We are always interested in knowing what happened and if there was a reason that you decided not to purchase at this time. If you could be so kind as to let us know if you had any issues or concerns, we would appreciate it. We are asking for feedback from you and others as to how we can help make your experience at Absinthe Original better.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you believe you completed your purchase and are wondering why it was not delivered, this email is an indication that your order was NOT completed, and that you have NOT been charged! Please return to the store in order to complete your order.

Our apologies if you already completed your purchase, we try not to send these messages in those cases, but sometimes it is hard for us to tell depending on individual circumstances.

Again, thank you for your time and consideration in helping us improve the Absinthe Original website.

Sincerely,

La Boheme UK Ltd.

www.originalabsinthe.com/

My response:

Hello! Thank you for the follow-up. I had second thoughts about buying Absinthe King Gold after I had learned that Vincent Van Gogh had cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute as a gift after consuming massive amounts of absinthe.. I'm concerned that I may do the same thing, and therefore refrained from purchasing your fine absinthe. Perhaps a disclaimer needs to be put under the product on your website warning that a user may exercise their ability to mutilate themselves while consuming the spirit.

Again, thank you for your concern.

Hello and welcome, demise. Just curious... where did you get your information before coming here? Beginning my own absinthe research only fairly recently, I have yet to read any discussion groups on the net where anyone who brings up the subject of thujones is not instantly lambasted.

It wasn't one particular place as it was random articles from Googling absinthe & thujone. I came across the price list here, and noticed King Gold was rated as 'crap', and that really got me curious.

This is actually the first place where I talked about it. And I'm really glad I didn't fork over $220 for paint thinner.

Hello! Thank you for the follow-up. I had second thoughts about buying Absinthe King Gold after I had learned that Vincent Van Gogh had cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute as a gift after consuming massive amounts of absinthe.. I'm concerned that I may do the same thing, and therefore refrained from purchasing your fine absinthe. Perhaps a disclaimer needs to be put under the product on your website warning that a user may exercise their ability to mutilate themselves while consuming the spirit.

Again, thank you for your concern.

:laf:

Welcome, Demise.

I just wanted to reassure you that you can safely drink King Gold. I tried some and did not cut off my ear before giving it to a prostitute.

You may want to join the other forum also,

The Thujone Society: Members Dismembering Members

You might want to read Van Gogh's own thoughts, written later, about what happened that night.

"Remembering Dismembering" -VGV, Watson-Guptill ( out of print )

Paint thinner is being too kind.

True, and besides, the only alcoholic beverage I've ever tasted that really was reminiscent of paint thinner was Prestige Stout from Haiti. The smell of that brew was paradoxically alluring, and yet really offputting...It reminded me (and a few of my cronies, back in the late 80's), of musky, unwashed...we interrupt this regularly scheduled broadcast with an urgent announcement... :)

To me, absinthe is seminal, it occupies a period that is nostalgic, like listening to the beatles or the doors, its timeless. Its like looking at a Van Gogh painting, its all there, but fleeting. When a substance has been banned for so long, how could it not seek its devotees, by way of the internet?