Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

San Francisco

All,

A reporter from Berkley called and asked about some good absinthe spots in San Fran that serves in correctly.

Anyone have some ideas? I can put you in touch with them.

Deadline is mid-next week.

I know that there is an absinthe bar there, but I don't know where and I don't really feel like contacting my ex-girlfriend to find out. I never found out what absinthe they were selling or had, but there definitely was one there a while ago.

I'm about to take a road trip out to San Francisco and Portland, two places I've never been. Thanks for the list of places. Is it still accurate? Do these places actually serve absinthe the right way? I've been pretty nervous about ordering it in bars because of all the stories on here of bartenders firing it.

Also, I'm guessing I will be able to pick up a Pacifique out here, but my assumptions have been wrong before.

Also, I'm guessing I will be able to pick up a Pacifique out here, but my assumptions have been wrong before.

K and L wines has Pacifique listed in inventory at the Redwood City location. If you have enough time, they can special order Ridge as well.

LINK

:cheers:

There is the Absinthe Bar restaurant; 398 Hayes Street (at Gough Street)

San Francisco, CA 94102. I haven't gone myself and can not say if they serve it correctly. In all my experience of ordering absinthe out her in the bay area I have never had it properly served and in fact has to explain to the bartenders what to do and even worse every time Ive asked for absinthe Ive been told they do not carry it and then i have to reach over the bar and point at the bottle. (this happens every single time i order absinthe at any bar/club i have been to. And after all that it usually turns out to only be Kübler that they carry. I believe the

Absinthe Bar also has Lucid but im sure they don't have much else than that. (It was names the absinthe Bar long before absinthe was legalized)

p.s. here is the absinthe bar's website: http://www.absinthe.com/index.php

Was at Absinthe Bar about 2 weeks ago. Stayed at the Inn across the street, of all places. Their selection was Ok. They had Leopolds and Obsello so I went with that. They had Germain-Robin, which I thought was strange. And no Pacifique (I was hoping for). The food was delicious but a bit overpriced. 17 dollar gazpacho. Cheese selection was decent. The ambiance was gothy and the service was stiff.

They provided a cold carafe to the table so I could prep my own glass.

Just thought I'd let you all know that Vesuvio has Kübler. When I saw they had absinthe, I asked the waitress if they lit it on fire. She made a face and told me they did only if someone absolutely insisted upon it. She then informed me that the correct way to serve it is to pour water over sugar into the glass so that it louches. Nice not to have to do some educating for once. I liked the Kübler, though I can see why it doesn't get as high of marks as some other absinthes. They did serve it in a sort of lowball glass, but I was happy just to have properly louched absinthe.

Just to add to the list for SF:

Beretta, in the Mission, has a few absinthes behind the bar, and they serve it properly. Obsello, St. George, and Kübler, for sure. There may be others there too.

Was just going to offer up Beretta. Met the owner, and staff last week, and They Know Their Shit- and CARE about making you something good.

Also, non-absinthe, Cantina is the BEST place for pisco and/or pisco punch in north America.

I'll have to start getting around to some of the bars. The only thing I've learned so far is that the absinthe selection at bottle shops in the South Bay is abysmal. The staff are even worse. I asked what absinthe they had in stock, and they said they only had Fee Brothers Bitters. I died.