9 replies to this topic

#1 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hey all,

So I recently entered a cocktail contest (okay, it was for someone else... okay, it was for my Mom- the competitive baker-ess). Contest rules involved using maraschino cherries, and Finest Call mixers (any). Other than that, you got a blank slate to make whatever you wanted.

So, I hear 'maraschino', and my mind goes to one of my fav drinks, the Aviation. Then, I hear I gotta use Finest Call, which made me shudder, as I hate most pre-mixers. I prefer to make my own (yup- <-----snob here). But, I looked down the list, past all the marg and sour, and daquiri mixes, and saw that they made orgeat. Hmm.....

So, now I am thinking of a blue sky, with clouds, and a pilot carreening peacefully (if a bit eradically) through it. Maybe set in the Pacific... maybe in WW2, near Hawaii... far from the front.

So, I came up with the Clouded Aviator. Here is what I sent them:

It is a modern, fun twist on a very, very classic cocktail called an Aviation, a drink commonly drunk from about 1930-1950, and inspired by pilots flying through beautiful light blue skies.

My twist on it is to incorporate some clouds/cloudiness into the skies, while playing on the idea of a slightly 'clouded' pilot, having drank a few too many of these. It also allows me to incorporate the orgeat syrup, which is a thick, cloudy, milky sweetener, with a nice, light, smooth almondy taste, and an orange flower-water nose that pairs nicely with the creme de violette.

The Clouded Aviator

3oz Plymouth Gin
1/2 Lemon Juice
3/4oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1oz Finest Call Orgeat Syrup
1/4oz Rothman and Winter Crème de Violette
1 Maraschino Cherry, stem removed.

Add all ingredients to an ice-filled shaker, minus the Maraschino cherry. Shake vigorously ("Shake it- Don't fake it!") to combine all ingredients. Drop the Maraschino cherry into the bottom of a well-chilled martini glass. Strain the cocktail into the glass, and serve. Makes 1 delicious cocktail.

(I personally toy with the idea of using about half the orgeat, to cut some of the sweetness, but since they want to ghlight their mixers, I went a full oz. What do you all think? Anyone shake one up yet?)

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

I'll try one tonight. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#3 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

I'll try one this weekend. :cheers:
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#4 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,191 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

That recipe sounds tasty, all I need is Orgeat and I'm there.

<------ Pro-procastinater
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#5 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

I don't know, Lars, I'm a big fan of the Lars Frappé, but this just sounds like an Aviation with an ounce of sugar thrown in. Also, it's hard to imagine the almond and the violette playing nice together. Still, I'll try to keep an open mind, and if Hiram's not dead by tomorrow, I might try one with half that much real orgeat...

Edited by Wild Bill Turkey, 17 February 2010 - 12:11 PM.

"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#6 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

Truth be told, I myself have not had the chance to try it yet. I'm on a weeklong worktrip, away from my homebar. Like I said in my note at the end, I am thinking 1/2oz myself... but I am still quite hopeful they will work together. I gotta try it this weekend though.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#7 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

So I made a couple of versions of this. First I used 3/4 oz of orgeat, since there was vacillation between 1/2 and 1 oz. It tasted nice, but was a bit too sweet. So I'd say using 1 oz would be way too sweet.
I then made it with 1/2 oz of orgeat and this was much better balanced. The interplay between the orgeat and creme de violette was a delight.
I give it two thumbs up .... tasty, enjoyable, and definitely one for my favorites list! :thumbup:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#8 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Excellent to hear! Anyone else whip one up? No creme de violette here, still, to make it proper, but I have az bottle on order finally.

so, 1 2-thumbs-up. Any other ratings/votes? If it's an 8/10+, I'm always a happy guy on a newly-crafted cocktail.

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#9 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Seems like a good day (and month) for zombie threads. At any rate, the first time I've seen this one.

I actually immediately liked the idea of adding orgeat to an Aviation. I love the Aviation, but sometimes it can seem a little tooth-strippingly acidic. The idea of a bit more sugar to balance, and a little orange flower water to play with the violette sounded just fine. And shit, who doesn't like almond? That's the good part.

But holy crap, Larsy! Five and a half ounces of material before shaking? How do you spell supersize? So I took the liberty of re-jiggering this to put the sweet to sour ingredient ratio back to about 1.5:1 (the ratio for most Aviation recipes), and get the overall volume down to that of a typical sour.

Here's how it went:

2 oz Gin (used Ridge)

2/3 oz Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (used Luxardo)

1/4 oz Orgeat (used Fee Bros)

1/4 oz Violette (used R&W)

1 of Mr. Devoille's cherries

I liked the drink very much. It's just a subtle variation from an Aviation (a little richer, slightly less tart in impression, but very balanced as a sour), and I think the orgeat is a real winner here. The appearance was terriffic, and I suspect it would be even better with Pernot's Violette. I may try your ratios sometime, but I suspect the clean tension at these ratios is likely to be lost with all that sugar.

I'm thinking if I really wanted to highlight the orgeat I'd bump the lemon juice to 3/4 oz and the orgeat to 1/2 oz. I bet that'd be very nice.

So how 'bout you. Ever whipped one of these up?

Oh, BTW, I keep a personal data base of all the drinks I've made and I rate them 1 through 4 stars and OMG. This one will get 4 stars, same as a traditional Aviation.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#10 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm thinking if I really wanted to highlight the orgeat I'd bump the lemon juice to 3/4 oz and the orgeat to 1/2 oz. I bet that'd be very nice.

Tried it tonight with these measures and using Pernot's violette. It was even better than I thought it would be, and it is clearly a different drink than an Aviation. Now I'm thinking maybe just a drop or two of orange bitters...

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association