Belarmin

Suggestions, Please!

Aloha All!

I tend to be on the very quiet side. (Hey, is that lurking?) Anyway, I have been reading your posts and have found them very entertaining and informational.

My wife and I just finished a bottle of K53 and we really enjoyed it. In fact, last night she told me that she was hooked. That's great for me since she's the only absinthe drinker I know here in the middle of the sea - oh, and since she's the one who opens all the bills. She also told me to order another bottle of whatever I wanted and that she'd be more than happy just going along for the ride.

My first bottle was a Jade NO. My wife didn't try that. My second - and her first - was the K53. Any suggestions?

Mahalo!

I just saw an aficionado of pisco on The Thirsty Traveler the other night and he said, "The best pisco is the one you like best."

I guess that would apply to any drink out there; I was just curious to see what would come up.

Thanks, guys! :)

I tend to be on the very quiet side. (Hey, is that lurking?) Anyway, I have been reading your posts and have found them very entertaining and informational.

One might even say... infotaining?

I would definately suggest the Clandestine. It's very similar to the K53, but with a bit more flavour and a bit more of a rounded taste. As for vertes, Eddie is the best out there, unless you really like cinnamon, in which case Montmartre is a good try.

I too would toss in my vote for the Clandestine but you must try a green and so far I love the Eddie with the N.O. following closely behind. You couldn't go wrong with either of those babies.

You know, I used to read everyone's posts and be surprised at how much everyone was into it. Then this morning I received an e-mail from LdF saying that my bottle of Clandestine is on it's way.

I must admit I'm excited!

I'd say go with the Edouard as well. Personally I'm not much of a fan of the indian-toko in N.O, but that might just be me. It's still nice, different

I don't know, can't really place it I guess. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It's got something in it I can't place my finger on but tastes rather 'indian' to me. bay leaf? hint of curry even? I don't know. After aging a while N.O is nicer (or so it seems to me)

EDIT: I knew there was something about this somewhere:

Click here

'Mystery herb' or not, there's a 'different' taste to it.

Still, I do recommend to try it for yourself ofcourse, like I said, it's not bad.

I remember having some frankie guy after a while and it tasted like soap and lavendar to me.. I didn't remember it tasting like that before, but whatever it was I hated it

Just to make the picture a bit muddier, I prefer the Verte Suisse to the Eddie. Eddie is smooth, VS has a bit more pungent herbal bite to it, which is more to my taste.

I'll recommend Verte de Fougerolles as a good-fo'-de-money verte. If I were to introduce people to affordable absinthe, I would probably pick that and the Clandestine.

"I think the N.O. sucks as does the Frankie Guy."

I think Mr. Batemaster is being channeled into this thread from beyond

VdF---sinkie.,dmckijsdn..ds....see????

"Definitely the Edouard, and for something quirky, but tasty, the Montmartre."

Does anyone know if Hiram or another Society member has reviewed the Montmartre?

Gertz

Last time you posted about it on feeverte, you still had not gotten a bottle of the final release of the Verte Suisse. Still true?

I'm getting my first bottle of the VS next week. The people who like it descibe it using words I like.

pungent.

herbal.

bite.

Does anyone know if Hiram or another Society member has reviewed the Montmartre?

Some like it some don't.

I don't care for spicey Absinthe.

Spicey with my Absinthe is another story.

Aren't they getting kind of old now?

I haven't reviewed the Montmartre yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight. There's a link to the reviews at the top of the page. So far I've only posted reviews of absinthes I'd recommend, but I'll probably change that in the future. An unpleasant enterprise to say the least.

Gertz

Last time you posted about it on feeverte, you still had not gotten a bottle of the final release of the Verte Suisse. Still true?

I still don't have a bottle of my own, but I have had the opportunity to try it, and it has definitely improved, compared to the distiller's proof #2. The herbal flavours are in a much better balance, unlike the DP, which left a sort of muddy impression on the palate.

I still need a bottle of my own to try and live with at home. A one-night stand isn't enough for the final verdict.

I remember having some frankie guy after a while and it tasted like soap and lavendar to me..

Never noticed any lavender in the Guy. For that matter, wormwood from Nijmegen smells a bit like tarragon. Quite surprising, though it's an Artemisia species as well. Somehow I love it.